Best College Team vs. Worst Pro Team

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by TommyGreen, Jul 24, 2010.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

This debate was brought up at the bar, and I was wondering what everyone here thinks since you're way more knowledgeable than my drunk buddies and I.

If you take the 2009 St. Louis Rams and pit them against the 2009 Alabama Crimson Tide, what would the score be? Would it be close?

2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

There are some years where I'd give the college team a half-possible shot, but it takes a really special team and/or a ridiculously good gameplan to make it work.

In that game the Rams would probably kick the Tide's ass. Bama may have a great defense with a number of NFL level players, but I don't think that their players on offense would be good enough to score much against NFL defenders. Plus, Steven Jackson makes a habit of dominating grown men, he'd roll on any college defense.

For score, I'd say something like 31-14 Rams. Jackson with about 30 carries for about 200 and at least 3 scores.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Alabama couldn't score on St. Louis's defense. It would take a special college team as GH mentioned, but SJax would destroy.

4. Jam.

Jam. Banned

2001 Miami Hurricanes vs. 2008 Detroit Lions (0-16) and then we could start talking...

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

How can anyone even think that a great college team can even compete with an NFL team, no matter how bad the NFL team is. Think about it. How many players on the 2009 Alabama team will actually play in the NFL??? If a college team puts 5-6 players a year into the NFL it is a great year. That means that over half the Alabama team would not play in the NFL. Plus, think about how long it takes some excellent college players to adjust to the NFL, particularly QBs, WRs, and DTs. Then factor in how much faster the pro game is. The Rams would absolutely crush Alabama - it would be an absolute joke.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, I figured the NFL team would almost always win, but I was wondering in what circumstance it would be close.

That 2001 Miami Hurricanes team would probably beat St. Louis.

7. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Any NFL team, by far. An NFL team with half it's starters out would probably still beat the best college team.

8. 624

624 Banned

I hate when people ask this question, the NFL team would always kill the college team I don't care how bad or good they are. It wouldn't be close.

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Yeah this idea's been kicked around forever. And usually at a bar. :beer:

Would be an interesting experiment to have the week before the Superbowl, certainly better than the lame-ass Pro Bowl.

Either that or the "Loser Bowl," where the two shittiest teams in the NFL get to play each other for the #1 draft pick (another idea that sounds awesome after three or four Irish Carbombs).

10. 624

624 Banned

Would the loser of the "Loser Bowl" get the #1 or #2 pick?

11. milo

milo Well-Known Member

The winner gets the #1 pick.

In certain variations of the debate the loser of the "Loser Bowl" gets nothing. But the #2 is more realistic.

It would probably be one of the better games of the season. Shit look at the Browns-Lions game last year.

12. Green Hurricane

I'm trying to think of how many of the best college teams would have to be combined for them to have a chance at beating an NFL team. I don't think that Bama and Texas combined could do it, maybe the best players from the top four could make it interesting.

That team from last year would be impressive, not sure if they'd be good enough though.

13. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

I think it's hilarious this discussion developed.

Down here, they love the Tide. Every time someone says Roll Tide to me when I walk around in an Ole Miss shirt, I tell them tampons can be purchased all over Mobile.

However, what yall aren't taking into account is the SEC is on par with the quality of play in the NFL. Watch the games. If there was no NFL, most of you would probably be SEC fans as opposed to fans of your own conferences because basically, the SEC is where the best talent is going to wind up, and is the easy road to the NFL. How many Alabama national title winners do you think get drafted when they graduate? I'd say 4/5 of the team winds up pro.

So, with proper coaching, youth vs old, and the passion and feeling of something to prove, Bama could beat any NFL team ranked below 10. I'd pay a million dollars to see it, and hope some day the NFL schedules "friendly" games like soccer to prove it.

14. Green Hurricane

Never. Even if 4/5 of the team ends up getting drafted, that means about 2/5 of them stick to have careers, and 1/10 end up as top notch NFL players. Now OF THAT group, how many guys were ready to step into the NFL as of the end of last season? McClain and Cody, that's about it. They might have 40 future NFL players on the team, but only 7 of them got drafted in April, and a bunch of that 40 have never even seen the field.

McElroy would be eaten alive, Ingram, Dareus, and Jones were all about 19, and no one on that OL stands out besides an only above average prospect in Mike Johnson. As I write it out, it's even more clear how they'd get steamrolled. That 14 points I gave them before would only be on the benefit of some long, lucky TDs

15. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

Even as a Tide fan, I'd have a hard time believing Bama would have a shot in a game like this.

It's too far of a gap for fair competition, when a college team has 1 great player(on the college level) on their offense or defense, the NFL team has arguably 11 of the same caliber on either side of theirs.

Now if the did they College AllStars vs. NFL team games again, that might be a tad more competitive IMO...

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You are vastly overrating the SEC, it is a quality conference but it in no way even compares to the NFL. Another point is that the powerhouses of the SEC basically plays against only the SEC, garbage non conference and a good non conference team in a home-like atmosphere for the bowl game, much different from the NFL which favors no one in terms of scheduling.

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

What if you took the all rookie team against the Rams? That being said IDK where Bradford would play.

18. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

What you would need is basically a just flat out dominate team against like a comically bad NFL team, maybe JUST MAYBE you would have a competitive game, but even then I would still say an NFL team would win

19. LWC611

LWC611 Member

During the Rick Kotite error, I actually asked this question often......

20. PatriotWarrior

It would be something like

Bucs - 20

SEC All-Stars - 10