Being a Jets Fan in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Brick, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Brick

Brick Member

Wondering if anyone out there in Gang Green land has ever lived in Pittsburgh?

I moved to Pittsburgh two months ago and the Steelers fans are everywhere. I can't stand their damn team almost as much as the Pastys and Fish. Every sports bar that is supposedly friendly to teams out of the area still has 90% Steeler fans there. Occasionally there is an Eagles group, but that's about it.

Is there a Jets contingent in the Burgh? Does anyone know of a bar in the city where there are other teams fans?

Any help is much appreciated.

:steelers:

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

No help to offer but I would imagine Steel Town would be a tough place to find a Jets bar...

Move again, it's only been a couple of months.

3. Brick

Brick Member

I'm here for the next four years, so relocation is not an option. Worst part is, I live in an apartment building and can't get Sunday Ticket, so I have to go out to watch the games.

I realize that I'm asking too much for a Jets bar here, but I'd settle for a place that isn't entirely dominated by Steeler fans. There were lots of places like that in New York. I even found a bunch of them in North Carolina. Here, however, it's nothing but black and gold, with a splash of Eagle green. I would be very happy to find a place that is half Steeler fans and half a mix. I've even had discussions with a friend about opening up a new bar that caters to fans of other teams - the city has tons of non-Steeler fans, but they just don't bother to venture out when you've got a bunch of obnoxious Steeler fans everywhere.

I will be at the Dec 19th game here with a sign that says Rex Ryan > Dick Lebeau (in pictures). On that weekend, I'm asking for it, but I'd like to avoid it until then.

4. TailgateJoe

TailgateJoe New Member

I am very seriously considering doing an away game tailgate party in Pitt for this game. We do Miami every year and try to do at least 1 other one. Anyone have some info on tailgating in Pitt, as far as parking and stuff.

5. Brick

Brick Member

Best place to park would probably be near PNC Park, which is right down the street. Not as close to the Heinz Field lots, but likely a better place to tailgate because there are more restaurants and bars around there - I've done it for Pirates games and I would imagine it's a thousand times better for football. I would recommend staying somewhere north of the city, because the bridges get saturated on game days, making it very difficult to drive from downtown, east or south of the stadium.

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Been to the Church Brew Works yet? That's what I'd move to Pittsburgh for. Formerly a church, now a brewpub restaurant. The brew kettles are behind the alter. Nice. Went there once and only got to stay for two beers. Can't wait to go back.

I was back after that first visit once, and the place was closed that night for the Steelers championship game against the Ravens. Imagine a bar closing because the Steelers were playing? Obviously not a sports bar...

7. Brick

Brick Member

I know where Church Brew Works is, but have not been there yet. The area around Lawrenceville has a lot of nice places like that. The problem is, those places are an escape from football and sports as a whole - no Jets or Steelers games. There are hardly any sports bars in the area. I may try Silky's in Squirrel Hill next, but am definitely open to more suggestions.

8. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

If you can't find a Jets fan club at this link, then you'll just have to wear your colors proudly to a sports bar, They should have the game on, probably no volume though.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/bar_guide.php

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Wish I could help you, doubt there's many Jet fans in Pittsburgh.

Over the years I've been to a couple of Jet games in Pittsburgh.....by the way great city. Never did I feel threatened. I just took some good nature ribbing. I've almost gotten into fights at Cleveland, Miami and Buffalo. Been to Indy, Cincy and Pittsburgh with no issues at all.

Living in Columbus, he have tons of Steeler fans. Almost an equal amount of Brown, Bengal & Steeler fans. I have a few friends in the Youngstown area and it's almost exclusively Steeler fans.

My best friend here in Columbus is a Steeler fan and we go to campus bars around OSU to watch games once in a while. I also have him over since I have Sunday Ticket and he watches his Steelers.

10. Brick

Brick Member

I checked the fan clubs page, but there isn't a Jets club within an hour of Pittsburgh.

This year, I think is different than previous years - Steelers fans recognize that there is a strong possibility that they will have to go through the Jets in the playoffs, in addition to the December 19th game. I also think they have a chip on their shoulder from the Holmes trade.

11. Brick

Brick Member

Today I went to Buffalo Blues again... I was one of two Jets fans that stuck around for the 4:00 games. The Steeler fans celebrated prematurely when the Pastys kicked a field goal before Baltimore called time out and I made fun of them. It's amazing how many Steeler fans are ignorant about football. After taking some abuse during the second half of the Jets game, I gave a triumphant holler at the end of the game:

"Who has the best record in the NFL?"

"Is it the Ravens... nope."

"Is it the Steelers... nope."

"That's right, folks- it's the f***ing J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!"

Btw, while the pass interference call at the end of the game was questionable, the interference call against Cromartie and unnecessary roughness call on Leonhard were also terrible - and this was confirmed by a Pats fan at the place.

If Sanchez doesn't suck, this team can do incredible things.

12. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

I live in Indianapolis, so I feel ya. Keep the faith, man!

13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Who moves to Pittsburgh on purpose? From NY no less...

[​IMG]

14. JimJet84

JimJet84 New Member

Hey, I feel ya. We'ere comin to the Pitt

and if Pittsburgh keeps on going downhill, there may be a ton of Jets fan with me. (Lots of tix suddenly available) In Indy last season for playoffs, there had to be 10,000 Jets fan in Indy and stadium(albeit spread out) It was great. We almost pulled it off.

15. Gator

Gator Active Member

We took over that town the night before. St Elmos was all Jets fans. Damn good shrimp cocktail at that place.

16. Brick

Brick Member

Not everyone wants to live in New York. I grew up on Long Island. I went to college in the city. I love visiting, but I have no desire to live in a tiny apartment, be crammed into subway cars during rush hour, etc...

I moved here for graduate school. Pittsburgh is a great city aside from the Steeler fans pervasive obnoxiousness. In my opinion, it's a better quality of living than New York. The Burgh has some great restaurants and fun neighborhoods (Shadyside, South Side) to go out in.

Having the Steelers games on Sunday/Monday nights here has been really great here the past couple of weeks. I've been able to go out to Buffalo Blues, which is normally packed with black and gold, and enjoy not having one game completely dominate the place. The Jets fans are slowly emerging from the shadows too - there were a whole six of us last week - and there's plenty of room on the Jets bandwagon in Pittsburgh for those casual fans who don't know anyone on the team besides 6/24.

I am still looking for decent tickets to the Jets game here if anyone has any tips outside of StubHub and Craig's List. Would be much appreciated.

17. nexteyenate

nexteyenate Member

I live in Hollidaysburg (about two hours east of Pittsburgh) and there are no jets fans around here. I usually have to resort to going to Hooter's to watch Jets games (without any commentary usually because a Steelers game is on).

18. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

And we were up at the half, too. That morning the Claddaugh Pub downtown was a sea of Green. It was a blast.

19. JimJet84

JimJet84 New Member

Yes, Pittsburgh is in my plans

Where is the best place to tailgate without being accosted. Are there certain areas or lots where opposing fans congregate? How is the parking situation? Any hotel suggestions not in the statosphere and close to mass trans. Jets-Jets-Jets

20. Brick

Brick Member

There are a few hotels in downtown that are are a short walk across the bridges to Heinz field. Just take a look at Google maps and you'll find them. If you're looking for something cheaper, then I would consider places in Ross Township that are a little further up McKnight road. Should be a 10 min drive tops.

I suggest that the Jets fan take over Mullen's before the game. It's right near PNC park and about five blocks away from Heinz. It's a big place with decent food and should be a lot more fun than tailgating in the freezing cold parking lots outside of Heinz on Dec 19th.