Beckham Gets One Game

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by RPOZ51, Dec 21, 2015.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Giants wideout Odell Beckham suspended one game

The New York Giants' uphill battle to win the NFC East just grew steeper.

Star wideout Odell Beckham was suspended one game for multiple violations of safety-related playing rules during Sunday's crushing 38-35 loss to the Carolina Panthers, the league announced Monday. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports Beckham will appeal.

Beckham repeatedly tangled with Panthers cornerback Josh Norman on Sunday, with the wideout drawing four total penalties including an unruly three personal fouls. Beckham was fortunate that game officials didn't eject him long before the final whistle.

In one pointed third-quarter series of events, Beckham took a blindside shot directly at Norman's helmet.

"At numerous times during yesterday's game against the Carolina Panthers, your actions placed a fellow player at unnecessary risk ... and clearly did not represent the high standards of sportsmanship expected," NFL vice president of Football operations Merton Hanks wrote in a letter to Beckham.

Tom Coughlin said Sunday that he wrestled a "strong consideration" to bench Beckham at one point, but the Giants coach returned Monday to talk up his most talented player.

"There are qualities that Odell Beckham, this young man, brings to this football team. The likes of which I've never seen," Coughlin said. "He has great energy, great enthusiasm, he gives great effort. He does it literally every day he walks out on the field. He is an emotional young man. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and I will not defend his actions yesterday because they were wrong. This particular franchise and organization does not tolerate that. So I would not do that. But I will defend the young man and the quality of the person. I will defend him as long as I'm able and I told our team that. Our team feels the same way."

Tension between Beckham and Norman brewed long before kickoff, with NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reporting that OBJ had to be separated before the game from Panthers practice squad player Marcus Ball, who was wielding a black baseball bat that Carolina players tend to tote around during warmups. Ball reportedly handed the bat to Norman at one point, leaving Beckham to supposedly feel threatened. The NFL on Monday was also looking into that confrontation.

Still, Beckham hurt the Giants on Sunday with his lack of composure in a game that boiled down to the final seconds and likely cost New York a withering chance at the postseason.

Now Big Blue must travel to Minnesota in Week 16 without Beckham before getting him back for a potentially meaningless season finale at home against the Philadelphia Eagles.

The hot takes will be hotter than ever this week, but we'll leave it right here: Beckham's heroics are always timely in New York, but this latest misadventure couldn't have come in a worse spot for a team -- and a coach, in Coughlin -- fighting for life in the NFC East.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I have no issue with ODB getting a game. He earned it. But, I also think Norman should be reprimanded, as well. I definitely saw him smack ODB's helmet as he ran by on at least two different plays.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well the NFL gets it half right as usual...Beckham blew his cool but so did the other kid

Norman needs to sit as well

Panthers have a baseball bat?? The NFL quickly becoming the 'Hood on roids

Carolina=Black Panther Party lol

4. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Baseball bats, homophobic slurs...This is hilarious.

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Uh it's a bat they hand around during warmups like a good luck charm who gives a shit. Beckham's a little bitch. I don't have a problem with Norman smacking back at him. ODB is out there throwing punches and launching his helmet like a weapon at people's heads, and then stomping around like a clown. Norman coulda clotheslined him for all I care.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He should have gotten another taunting penalty after his last TD to tie the game. Clearly got up, looked at Norman, muscled his legs through him and mockingly stomped over him.

I would not have a problem if DBs start targeting him.

He's a punk ass douchebag.

_

alleycat9, NCJetsfan and TNJet like this.
  7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

So the whole thing was because Norman was calling him a fag? Is OBD really that thin skinned?

Or maybe Norman hit a nerve? I'm sure a lot of players have been called that on the field and didnt react that way.

Between the hair and that video that surfaced of him checking out the Redskins player ass after their game a few weeks ago, maybe he took that word a little more to heart than another player would.

He really could throw a monkey wrench into this whole situation and come out as the first openly gay player. Would gain tons of sympathy.

It really would add up.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

he does look like a fag

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Maybe he is I did a bing search lookin for the redskins vid and found this
    http://sandrarose.com/2014/05/is-anyone-surprised-that-odell-beckhams-fiancee-does-not-exist/

10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I thought it was funny when he came at Norman and Norman just kind of threw his ass down like a little punk.

People also forget the penalty he had against the Jets, he has some control issues. Cost the Giants some yards in a key spot when he got up and kicked the ball.

12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

At this point I'm glad Revis didn't trash talk him before the game, OBJ would have been crazy enough to head hunt him coming back from a concussion.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not gay, just a millennial. Similar though

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

That seaweed on top of his head might of made him think Norman was right.

Sent from my KFASWI using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

How many games would he have gotten if he paralyzed him? 2?

talisaynon, TNJet and IDFjet like this.
  16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He should be suspended for the rest of the season.

He purposely threw himself as a missile directly at Normans head. That could have caused so much damage, it's not even funny. A player uses himself as a weapon to deliberately hit another player in the head, in a league where a player can not even touch the QB's head, and he only gets a game?

NFL messes up yet again

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

This is the NFL double standard for star players

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Norman only needs to sit a game, if Odell's suspension is like 4 games.
    You cannot even remotely compare the two players action.
    One completely lost control of himself and the other was basically defending himself.

Odell only got 1 game, so no way Norman deserves any suspension.

NCJetsfan and TNJet like this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

A player smokes weed and gets more of a suspension than this.

Absolutely ridiculous

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Odell Bi-Beckham Jr has a nice ring to it