Bears fan with A trade proposal

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Dentfan, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

Hey guys, Bears fan here with a trade scenario:

Do you think the Jets would go for Eddie Goldman NT/3tech and Nick Foles QB for Denzel Mims and your 2022 4th round comp pick?

2. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

Nope, JD not trading a pick for a rotational 28 year old NT/DT. He'll grab a cheap one in FA or in the draft. He could have went after Foles last year and decided on Flacco. He'll either bring back Flacko or go with a FA.

We may be interested in Darnell Mooney, but the Bears aren't trading him. You can have Mims and our 4th :)

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Loved Richard Dent. Great, Great player.

Thanks for the question regarding a trade, but I doubt the Jets have any interest in trading for a 28 year-old DT/NT. They like Flacco and intend to bring him back, but he'll probably never see the field unless Zach gets injured. Zach is about to light up the NFL. Now if you want to let James Daniels enter FA or do a sign and trade deal, let me know. We'll be happy to take him off your hands for Mims and either a 5th round pick or that 4th round pick in a sign and trade deal.

4. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

How about we just give you Mims and call it even?

NYJFOREVER and Dentfan like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't see this happening as far as the way JD operates. he won't trade picks away for older situational players. he likes white and flacco and likely brings both back. Mims could be dealt though, he hasn't played well and seems in the doghouse but if we dealt him it would likely be for a mid round pick

6. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

Thanks for the compliment about Dent! We put the school in old school!

What about Cody Whitehair? He’s our other G.

I think all signs point to letting Daniels walk. The prior GM never did a sign and trade, that I can recall, but it’s a new day under Poles, so that’s not a bad idea. The estimate from Daniels is something 4/40.

7. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

Yeah, I was looking at it like you guys need a 3tech/NT and Saleh maybe thinks he can work his magic on him. Goldman’ll count 5.5 against your cap, so it seems like a win on your end.

8. NCJetsfan

If we were already a playoff team and needed some veteran depth, then yes, it could be a possibility, but we're not a playoff team yet. We're still rebuilding patching holes and hopefully adding some blue chip talent at playmaking positions.

Since we're rebuilding, it would be one thing if Goldman was a FA. Then it could be worth bringing him in as a stopgap for a year or two. IMO when one is in the process of rebuilding, it's not wise to trade draft capital and young players for older players who are nearing the age of 30 unless one is desperate. Fortunately, there are around 60 DTs who could become FAs, and many of them are younger than Goldman. I think the Jets should cut Rankins, re-sign Fatukasi, and then either sign one of those FA DTs or draft one in the 4th or 5th round.

9. GasedAndConfused

Saleh and JD will always look to improve the d-line, but the way they operate they won't give up a draft pick for a 28 year old player

10. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

Fair enough. Do you think they’d go Mims for Goldman straight up?

11. NCJetsfan

That they might go for. It depends upon what they think about him. I really wanted the Jets to draft Mims, and liked the promise he showed in 2020, but was horribly disappointed in his play this past season. I think he may not be a scheme fit here or may have some learning disabilities or something. He also seemed to have lost his confidence this past season. They say that they still believe in him, but they may just be saying thing to avoid embarrassing him or to try to get some trade value for him. This past season he couldn't get on the field, and when he did, he either couldn't get open or he dropped the ball. I think he dropped two TD passes this past season and still doesn't have one in his career. Frankly, I'm surprised that you have interest in adding him to the Bears. He seems like a great kid, but I'm starting to wonder what's going on with him. Maybe a change of scenery would help, but I hope they haven't given up on him and that he has got his head on straight, and will come to OTAs and TC and play at a high level, and force his way into the lineup. I'm not gonna hold my breath on that happening, however.

The CS didn't do him any favors early on this past season. He had food poisoning early, then had to work to get back in shape, and as a result was way behind in learning the offense. The CS made it worse by demanding that he learn every WR position (including the slot) this past spring before they would let him see the field, and I think that may have hurt his confidence or pissed him off (it would have pissed me off), and he either developed a mental block towards the CS, or couldn't learn the offense. I think that was dumb. They should have developed a package of plays for him so he could get on the field, contribute and feel good about himself. They kept saying that he was working hard and having great weeks of practice, but then when he got chances to play well into the season, he couldn't produce. He may have been pressing at that point, trying to hard, and got jittery. I hope he can get straightened out.

#11 NCJetsfan, Mar 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    westiedog1 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

I do think mims could be traded. I don't think it would be for a 28 year old rotational DT. they'd probably rather get a pick back even if it's a 2023 pick. that's normally JDs way of operating. he's only traded for a player once because we had 2 DEs go on IR before the season. but we've seen him trade players for picks about half a dozen times so far.

Dentfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

yeah, I fully agree that Mims didn’t live up to potential. Being a Bears fan, I know a thing or two about shitty HCs, in general, and Gase, in particular. Like Nagy, it appears that Gase wanted to plug Mims into a hole instead of tailoring to his track speed, long striding skill set.

So, I see a 6’3” dude with legitimate 4.3 speed who is also a very good blocker. He’d be a great X for the zone scheme that we are now installing. He could take the top off and block a DB.

So, if he was in the doghouse and probably on his way finessing out, and we are basically done with a guy, I figured it’d be like swapping trash at a flea market.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

So, the trade only happens in case of a need. Okay, but I thought the Jets needed DT help. Am I wrong? I could be, and we all know it won’t be the first or last time!

15. NCJetsfan

The Jets do need DT help imo, at least based on last year's results vs the run. The year before with lesser talent, we much were better vs the run. If it were me, Rankins would get cut. He was a real liability vs the run. Fatukasi didn't have a very good year and may not be a great scheme fit, but the Jets are talking with his agent about re-signing him. They also drafted a DT last year. Jonathan Marshall out of Arkansas. They could always cut Rankin later. I would rather sign a cheap vet than draft another DT, although would love to add Perrion Winfrey to our DL beside Quinnen Williams.

Dentfan likes this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Great post. Saleh pretty much confirmed all the things you said here at his Combine (which he is not attending) Zoom press conference yesterday. Mims said he was the best receiver in the 2020 class even though drafted in R3, so he has a lot to prove. He showed flashes of greatness, especially YAC. I'm hoping he can recover to be an additional weapon in the receiving corps. Talent is hard to find at any position and I think he has some.

#16 westiedog1, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

really depends. We have quinen williams and sheldon rankins under contract. we have marshall who we drafted last year but didn't see a lot of action. we have 2 as free agents in foley and shepard we could bring one of them back (preferbly foley) we also have draft picks. so it's not a major need for us. Edge, WR, RG, TE, LBer are our biggest needs.

Dentfan likes this.
  18. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

Perrion Winfrey is amazing. I’m thinking you guys either go Best OT or WR with your 1st, and, if he falls out of the 1st, which isn’t likely, you should be able to get him with your 2nd.

We may trade back, so I’m not sure if we would take him, but I want him.

19. Dentfan

Dentfan New Member

Okay, thanks. I was looking at it like we were filling a need each team had.

20. GasedAndConfused

Understandable. ti's hard to know team needs that aren't your team. especially at "less sexy" positions like DT and IOL