Barret/Barton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsman5137, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

With the way our draft went, these guys seem like they will get the boot. But they are tradeable players, so will the FO make a trade soon? I think we can trade both these guys for a decent guard or like a d-lineman. It would be awesome to fill another hole while getting rid of players that we really dont need.

2. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I don't think either guy necessarily needs to get traded. I think that Barrett and Barton, along with McCareins, are definitely expendable at this point. But, if there isn't a good trade possibility out there, I think it's worth holding on to those guys for depth instead of just dropping them. The contracts, however, are a little inflated for all 3 players so maybe restructurings are in order.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I would assume that they both stay, but there's no way to know without the FO's true opinion on Barton and knowledge of Barrett's medical condition.

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Barrett - Would be a much bigger cap hit to keep rather than cut or trade. With his injury his trade value is minimal, though maybe we could pry a 2nd day pick out of Herm for him.

Barton - The Harris pick makes him highly expendable. Makes way to much to be a backup and has trade value. Would have liked to see him traded to Detroit for Mike Williams, but no chance of that now. There must be a team out there that needs a starting calibre LB. A mid round pick would be nice, but I highly doubt we get a starting OL for him.

McCareins - The Titans lost out on Mike Williams and need serious help at WR. McCareins is the odd man out here, but could probably start for the Titans. I'd accept just about anything they offered.

5. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Barrett has no trade value. Zero. None.
    HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barton is aging and his best years are behind him. The fact that his last good year was 2004 and it is now 2007, he also has no trade value.

and with Pro Bowlers like Moss and Jackson going for 4ths, McCariens has no trade value.

We needs to keep McCariens as our 3 and cut bait with Barton and Barrett.

Or we can package Barton, Barrett and McCariens for a sack of potatoes.

6. In Mangini We Trust

In Mangini We Trust New Member

i think we should keep both for depth...barton played well for us last year and in a 3-4 system, u need depth at linebacker so i want to keep barton...mccarreins can go, thats fine with me

7. Turnbub

Turnbub New Member

"i think we should keep both for depth...barton played well for us last year and in a 3-4 system, u need depth at linebacker so i want to keep barton...mccarreins can go, thats fine with me"

I agree completely with the above statement. don't trade away depth. And i still feel barton is a very good OLB. Anybody remember 2005 when barton got injured and the jets run defense went from bad to horrible.

Mccarreins is a goner i think, i wouldn't object to a future 7th rounder for him

8. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

barrett doesnt suck he was hurt last year and played through it when healthy is a ok corner which will help us in nickle becasue he isnt going to start revis is plus you can never have enough decent corners playing slot guys

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If Barrett "sucked" we wouldn't have gone 10-6 last season.

If you factor in his sack total, Barton had the best year of his career in 2006, and is only 30. He has 3-5 productive years left in him.

Jackson and Moss were not going to play for their respective teams. They held the cards and forced a trade. The fact they were traded for 4th round picks has nothing to do with normal trade reality. McCareins is worth a 3-5 pick to some team that needs some receiver help.

10. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I think the FO/CS give JMac a chance to win a job in training camp and if he doesn't he will be cut. (He has virtually no value on the trade market in my opinion other than maybe a 7th rounder if a team wants to have his rights before the Jets cut him.)

I still like Barrett...if he would only stay healthy I think he could be a fine or nickel and/or back-up to Rhodes as he is a fine tackler. I would imagine the Jets are working to restructure his deal.

Barton...I don't understand why he should be moved unless he is grousing about starting / playing time. He is an active LB that plays hard.

If the Jets couldn't move them on draft day, I don't see them moving until training camp when it becomes apparent they won't be worth their contract and/or can't contribute.

11. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Barret played little role, if any, with us winning 10 games. Poteat was even playing over him.

Barton's best year was 2004 by far. He was very average this year and is mis cast as an inside backer in a 3-4. He plays best as an outside backer in a 4-3.

These guys are on the trading block for a reason. Mangini does not want them around. We will see in the next couple weeks what the plans are for these players.

12. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I'll never get the hatred for Barton on this forums. This guy has been solid. The only time I was ready to kill him was the late hit on Kaeding.

13. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

McCareins value is roughly nothing. If we get a 7th for him, we're lucky.

14. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

....drew brees

15. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

I actually like Barton but he is miscast in the 3-4.
    He was a beast on the outside for us in 2004 when we ran the tampa 2.
    He just is not effective on the inside.

16. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Barrett hardly "sucks." The guy is a tireless worker. He rarely gets beat deep, he is one of the better corners in run support in the league. He's certainly not a top flight guy, but he's a solid two-three guy. He is most definitely overpaid

Barton is definitely not a fit for this system.

I think we can get SOMETHING for McCareins. Not much, but something.

-X-

17. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

if we have the cap..which we do
    we might as well hold onto all 3...we need all the depth we can at cb, lb, and wr
    normally 6 cb's would be a lot, but the pats added 4 wrs so i wouldnt be surprised by anything at cb
    as for lb...barton is solid and technically the starter...if harris proves to be a stud then i could see barton being moved after the preseason
    wr is a weak position and mccareins is a better option then brad smith(at this point)...and unless smith has made strides or stuckey is randomly solid...then mccareins may somehow stick around

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The only ILB on the roster miscasted in the 3-4 is Vilma.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

And Vilma is? I guess 100 tackles and 4.5 sacks is not a good fit for the system. The fact that he managed 100 tackles is pretty impressive since most teams ran away from his side and ran more towards the Kimo Von Old Hoffen and Vilma side.

20. jetglass

jetglass New Member

Come on. Poteat was not starting over Barrett due to ability. Barrett was playing with a sports hernia injury which professional athletes will tell you is extremely painful. Barrett should be kept for depth in case revis or dyson go down, because miller doesnt know how to play corner.