barlow over duckett.....why?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Aug 21, 2006.

1. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i know atl is shopping him around, and id rather have tj than barlow. we have smaller finesse style backs. we need someone to thump on the goaline. duckett, imo, is a way better choice. im sure they could have nabbed him for the same price as barlow.

2. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Barlow is a pretty big boy at 6'1 234. There is no more need for a bruising back.

3. I'm usually not a fan of complaining about transactions like this one so early...but I actually agree. Duckett offered a possible long term fix. IMO Barlow is nothing more than an average starting RB and I have little faith in him helping us as a long term starter.

4. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

he doesnt use his size. he plays smaller than he is. duckett uses every pound on him to go forward with the football. barlow....well....he is kevin barlow.....ill take tj over that bj anyday.

5. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Could be something to do with the compensation and the years remaining on the players contracts.
    Also, although Barlow sucked recently, SF as a whole was pretty awful so I wouldn't put as much stock in Barlow underperforming on one of the worst OLines in the league versus Duckett underperforming on one of the better OLines in the league.

6. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

on espn they said barlow wasnt cheap. he has around 10 mil on him over the next 3 years. id rather risk the $ on another player. barlow just underwhelms me.

7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I personally didn't really want Duckett either but if it came down to it I would much prefer him over Barlow. I hope Barlow doesn;t come and and be handed the starting spot...he had better have to earn it....because I don't think he can win it. I also hope that because we will have Barlow it won;t cause us to look elsewhere with our first draft pick next year.....we will desperately need a top calibre RB so let's hope there are a few coming up.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The Star-Ledger reported the Duckett Deal would have required too high a draft pick. Sorry, but I don't have time to furnish a link, but it was somewhere north of 3rd Round, like a 2nd Round or so, from memory.

Fuggedaboutit.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Duckett hasn't proven anything either. He's not an every down back, does not have the ability to run outside the tackle. Barlow has the ablity to be a solid back he's just never reached his potential. He has attitude issues and he's always been running behind a crappy line.

10. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

I don't understand why people on this board are so in love with tj duckett. Barlow has proven just as much if not even more than duckett. Not to mention barlow has played for a much worse team. Lets see what Barlows got before we start trashing him.

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Atlanta probably wanted too much, like a first or second rounder

12. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

maybe we're not looking for a long-term solution until April.

cheers

13. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

What I was trying to say is Duckett is a FA after this season I believe which may mean the FO had reservations about being able to keep him past this year or questioned the worth in tradign for him now when they could sign him next year.

14. parafly

parafly New Member

Duckett has only 1 year left on his contract and would most likely command big bucks on the market next offseason. Barlow's contract has three years remaining, and although it totals 10 million, he can be cut at any time without any cap ramifications. From a financial standpoint, Barlow makes alot more sense for our team in its current situation.

Also, Barlow is a more well rounded RB than Duckett. Duckett has terrible hands and has never been a factor in the passing game. We all know how much Chad likes to dump the ball off to the running backs and Shotty used LT in the same manner in San Diego. Barlow has proven he can be effective catching out of the backfield and that he is a decent pass blocker.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Duckett hurt his knee in Green Bay also...surgery, but not season ending

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Good point. Barlow has had over 30 catches each of the last 3 seasons. Guess they were looking for an all-around back because they're that unimpressed with the current crop. If Duckett was brought in, it probably still would have been RBBC because he is pretty one-dimensional. They were looking for a full-time starter.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

LoL. Have you ever watched TJ Duckett play? To say that he uses every pound of his body is ridiculous. He's a good goaline back because he has broad shoulders. The year Duckett started he was average, not to mention he's a horrible receiver and blocker.

It's a shame, because he's big and he's rather fast. He's just really a Ron Dayne clone though.

Barlow isn't much more than that himself. I wouldn't have really traded for either, but I believe Duckett is a free agent at the end of the year so that would make it easier to judge whether he can be a solution or not.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Barlow cost less in a trade because of his contract, which we can absorb and restructure if he turns out to be worth a crap. Duckett would have cost a player and/or a first day pick.

19. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I heard McCareins + 3rd rounder in one of the papers. Now that's a high price to pay. Barlow's contract is not guaranteed, so you can force him to take a cut if he does not perform, and if he does, it's a steal.

20. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Thats way to high a price... Id say MaCareins and a 6th rounder