Baker wants to finish his career with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Jan 1, 2008.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

- http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ris_baker_turns_up_the_heat_for_new_de-2.html

So it looks like Baker wants to remain a Jet his entire NFL Career.

I say make it happen!

2. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I am fine with this, but with 2 years remaining, and given our other glaring needs, I would ask him to wait one more year. He has a $6.6 million contract; that is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, he must improve in the blocking arena. He certainly can catch and that is good. He also seems to do pretty well on YAC, but I need to see improvement on blocking.

Wait one more year and then decide. I am glad he at least wants to be a Jet the rest of his career - that will help him understand the big picture.

#2 GreenHornet, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking before. He has 2 years before his contract ends, I'm sure something can/will be worked out eventually. He may think it'd be easier to get it done this off-season, but there are other concerns the team needs to handle before adding more years to his contract that still has 2 left.

5. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think it would be in the best interest of the team to sign Baker now. The lightbulb went on when Clemens took over and he realized we actually have a T/E to throw to. If the trend continues it could cost more to keep him next year.

6. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Ah, another opportunity to knock Pennington and worship Clemens. Too tempting for FOURTHANDLONG to make some absurd claim but the stats don't match up with his outrageous claims. Clemens didn't throw to Baker any more than Pennington. I mean he might have tried throwing to Baker more and the passes may have sailed way over his head, but that's beside the point.

In 7 Clemens starts, Baker had 17 receptions (an average of 2.4 receptions a game). Those receptions went for 173 yards, or 10.2 yards per reception.

In 9 Pennington starts (counting New England), Baker had 24 receptions (2.7 receptions a game). Those receptions went for 236 yards, or 9.8 yards per reception. Baker had his best game of the season against New England with the QB not named Clemens behind center.

I know you love chiming in with every post about how Pennington sucks and your infatuation with Clemens, but stop with the blatant disinformation. The stats indicate that Baker got more action with Pennington, if anything.

For the record, resigning Baker would be a fantastic move. He's a damn good blocker and has as good hands as any TE in this game IMO.

#6 Gubernaculum, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  7. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

totally agree. i want him to get more receptions in the game, great td threat.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Man, I hope they keep this guy forever. You can never have too many TEs with great hands. I've seen Clemens rifle a flat pass out to him a few times and Baker didn't have his head around until the ball was practically there, and still he catches them. If we can get him in some decent YAC situations, I think Baker could end up being a consistent weapon.

9. All Star

All Star Active Member

I'm all for keeping him here.

I wish we could have a solid backup, almost equivalent of Baker so we could run some sweet 2 TE sets, but then again, we don't use the one we got.......

10. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Keep him forever so I dont have to change my name

11. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

im glad....i like this guy a lot even though he fucked up on a block in the cheifs game...hes still my boy:up:

12. sayuki

sayuki New Member

baker is very strong blocker and consistent catcher, so he is very valuable asset for jets. i hope he stays for many years!!

13. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

He's pretty good yards after catch as well. He always puts in a solid effort and often gets important first downs. I know he fumbled in the Pats game, but later in the game, when we were trying to come back, Baker caught a ball on 3rd down that left him about 3 to 4 yards short of the first down. So he proceeded to toss Asante Samuel aside with one arm, gain some yards, take contact from the defenders, and fall forward to get a key first. His effort is tremendous.

Baker's a beast and we need to utilize him more in the passing game.

14. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Totally agreed...

The fumble in the Pats game was largely a result of Baker doing what he always does, and has done to the benefit of the team so many times; fighting for extra yardage and a possible first down in critical situations...

Baker makes some tremendous catches, is about as reliable as TEs get hands wise, is a pretty good blocker, shows more in-game field awareness than anyone on our offense, and never fails to leave his heart and soul on the field....

He is one of very few Jets offensive players that really impresses me every chance he gets... I hope he stays here his entire career.

15. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Nobody impresses me more with his knack for knowing EXACTLY where the first down marker is. He sheds tacklers left and right as well.

That catch against the Browns last year still is one of the best catches I've ever seen.

16. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

that catch in the 1st quarter of the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving wasnt too shabby either..

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Maybe if we shore up the O-line he will be able to run some more pass routes.

18. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

It was definitely one of the best incomplete passes i've ever witnessed.

I would love to see Baker a jet for years..

19. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I often wonder why we don't use him more in the passing game. His hands are fantastic, and a young qb should enjoy having such a reliable option.

I'm def'n for extending his contract...but since he has 2 years left it isn't really high on my priority list like re-signing Rhodes is.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Well a playbook designed for the weakest arm in the NFL and a horrid O-Line. That is probably worth at least 20 passes a season for him if not more.