Bad O Line play - Poor Talent and poor scheme

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyFtLaud, Sep 21, 2019.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Great read. Exactly what I and others have been bitching about with Gase's scheme and play calling.

Jets blocking schemes are incomprehensible right now

[​IMG]
    Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
    It isn’t a bold statement to say the Jets offensive line has struggled through the season’s first two weeks. Too many guys aren’t executing their blocks.

There are other problems present, however. One of the biggest is how incomprehensible some of the assignments are. In Monday night’s loss to the Browns there were a startling number of instances where the Jets didn’t even account for Cleveland’s edge rushers (who are pretty good players of the game of football).

On the first series of the game the Jets ran a play action pass. It’s a faking a zone run. The offensive linemen all flow in one direction off the
    snap.

[​IMG]
    Ryan Griffin flows to the other side to block the guy at the end of the line.

[​IMG]
    But there’s a big problem. Myles Garrett is totally unaccounted for.

[​IMG]
    And when you don’t account for a guy like Myles Garrett, he wrecks the play.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    When I watched this over, I spent like 90 seconds just looking at the screen and shaking my head. You can’t design a play like this in the NFL. This might fly in high school when the defense ends you’re facing aren’t that good, but this play has no chance against Myles Garrett.

I want to be clear on something here. There’s a big difference between not blocking a guy and not accounting for him.
    Sometimes you leave a guy unblocked by design. Maybe he’s the target of a fake or some sort of misdirection. Maybe he’s the guy you read on an option play, and his movements dictate where the ball goes.

This play would make much more sense if Trevor Siemian had some sort of boot action, and the design was to get Garrett running in the wrong direction. Then you’ve accounted for him by trying to get him to run himself out of the play.

[​IMG]
    If something like this just happened once it would be one thing. But as the game went on the protections the Jets were calling kept showing the safe defect.

This is the very next play. The Jets have a full slide protection called here. The entire line is sliding to take the gap on their left. But the problem with this is nobody is there to account for Olivier Vernon.

[​IMG]
    If you are scoring at home, yes, at one point three Jets were blocking the same Brown as Vernon went unaccounted for.

[​IMG]
    Later in the first quarter, same thing. Full slide protection. Garrett unaccounted for.

[​IMG]
    Later in the game, another full slide. Another free run for Garrett.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    If this happens once, I’ll blame the players. Maybe somebody just missed their assignment. The quarterback and center have presnap responsibilities. Maybe they misread the defense, and got the team into the wrong blocking call.
    If this happens once, I’ll blame the players. Maybe somebody just missed their assignment. The quarterback and center have presnap responsibilities. Maybe they misread the defense, and got the team into the wrong blocking call.
    When it happens this many times, I think the coaching staff has to be the primary problem. They’re either making these calls and not adjusting to the defense wrecking them, or they’re not correcting something the players are doing wrong.

These are premium edge rushers. They need to be accounted for. Even if this is the result of Ryan Kalil constantly making the wrong calls because he doesn’t think guys like Garrett and Vernon are going to attack, it’s on the coaches to bench him because these blocking assignments give these plays no chance of working.

When you watch the way these plays are drawn up in the trenches, there’s only one question you can ask.

NY Jets68, Ralebird, AJW and 5 others like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There is something clearly wrong, and it's not just that we have limited talent on the OL. Hell, the OL wasn't this bad last year, and we supposedly improved the quality! So what's the problem? When all is said and done, it falls on Gase. If he doesn't have the players who can execute his "genius" plays, then he needs to adjust and come up with plays and schemes they CAN execute. Or maybe his plays aren't that "genius". In any case, it's up to him as HC to fix this, and between the Bills and the Browns games I don't see anything changed.

3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Good to see that our "offensive guru" head coach knows what he's doing.

If it weren't for Peyton Manning, he'd still be, at best, a position coach on one of the NFL's irrelevant teams.

grkmanga31 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

So who's in charge of this, Gase or Frank Pollack? Is it a poor scheme or poor execution, and that is the key question...

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This a thousand times over. I think most people realized it after the last three years but the Jets on the other hand...

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, since Gase is a legend, he'll get this straightened out in no time.

Since1969 and CBG like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Never wanted Gase to begin with this guy is a bum and only crack makes your eyes look like his does dude is a crackhead junkie

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's total nonsense.

A crackhead would call better plays.

[​IMG]

CBG and TonyFtLaud like this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not only is this article 3 days old but it was already discussed in one of the other 30 threads bashing Gase.

10. TonyFtLaud

Who gives a fuck if it 3 days old, it's relevant and isn't bashing Gase. It's pointing out a serious issue with the NY Jets. This forum is for fans to discuss such issues.
    If you don't like it, go back to washing Gase's balls in one of the 30 other threads.
    You can't make any excuse for his piss poor play design and failures based on this discussion so it shouldn't be discussed?

#9 TonyFtLaud, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. TonyFtLaud

Both. Some is execution, some poor scheme. But failing to adjust to a player being over matched, and intentionally leaving elite pass rushers unblocked is inexcusable.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Can I like this twice ?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

A bad coach + A bad line = disaster

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

it is pretty alarming though

FJF likes this.
  15. Falco21

"Washing Gase's balls"

That's a well thought out and mature response.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that you are posting an article that has already been discussed in another thread considering it is days old.

But hell, let's just go around starting more threads about the same shit because why not. I guess pages and pages about all of this are irrelevant as long as Tony from Ft. Lauderdale wants it to be

16. TonyFtLaud

According to Falco, it's forbidden to to even discuss....
    I don't give a shit about some other thread, there is a rash of threads lately that I won't even bother opening because they are pointless and strictly about bashing the current staff.
    This is a topic Is like to discuss with rational board members.
    If you don't like it, there are other threads you can go enjoy.
    If the mods feel the topic is unwarranted they will lock it or move it as they see appropriate.
    If you are that offended by the topic, report it and request it be merged where you feel it belongs.

17. Falco21

And btw, I never stated that Gase is not at fault for some of the play we've had the last two games. In fact, I've stated multiple times that he does take some blame but he is not the sole reason for this outcome nor should the injuries and roster go unnoticed when discussing his tenure as the Jets Head Coach thus far.

But I am still trying to understand the necessity of another thread about somehting that was already discussed days ago.

18. TonyFtLaud

I don't believe I have to justify the necessity to you. As I already stated, I want to discuss the topic with sensible board members without digging through 30 threads and 100s of pages of fire Gase, Sign AB, fire Gase and Douglas, trade Bell, trade Bell and Adams. We already had a mod reply here, so I don't think he found it inappropriate or offensive.
    I understand it's not as necessary a topic as say :
    What Can We Get In Return If We Trade Darnold, Bell, Crowder, Mosley, and Adams?

19. Falco21

Thanks for the plug!

Your thread fits in perfect with the point of that thread I created

Appreciate that brotha!

20. TonyFtLaud

Your welcome,
    I Always try to help those in need.
    And your definitely in need.

Jets69 likes this.
  21. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the other thread, good teams and good coaching staff make adjustments and develop a good game plan. Sure all teams go play a terrible game or two or three (and in some cases more). That said we have to see how Gase and The coaching staff are making adjustments and that includes across the board. Right now we are stinking across the board, offensively, defensively and special team.

OL is indeed the biggest issue and need to get better fast. I don’t know how you let Myles go untouched.

Royal Tee and CBG like this.