Backup quarterback?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by westiedog1, Sep 3, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't we need another QB? We can't go into the season with only Darnold and McCown, can we?

Landry Jones was released from Pitt. Seems the best of the QB's released so far. Thoughts?

2. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

I think I’d take Webb over Jones if I had the choice. Jones has played more but hasn’t improved much. Webb still might have a chance

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Probably do..but Macagnan will wait till the last minute to an OL and backup

4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Webb seems like a good choice for the PS assuming nobody else signs him to their active roster. We already missed out on rooks like Luke Falk, Kurt Benkert and Tanner Lee.

5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

We are solid at quarterback with Darnold and McCown. No need to sign another.

FJF likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I would not sign Webb I saw enough he is a waste of a roster spot. We definitely need a 3rd qb on this team behind this O line

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Landry Jones is God awful. The rest of my family are Steelers fans and they all think he's garbage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

tyler pryor would be the emergency qb

Noam and playtowinthegame like this.
  9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

And he'd still be better than Bryce Petty. Lol

Noam and Cman68 like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We are fine at QB until we need a third. And at that point who cares? If you lose both Darnold and McCown then it doesn’t matter who you sign, you’re screwed.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Speaking of QB, remember when many of our peers here are TGG where ranting and raving about Paxton Lynch, what a great pick up that was, and how wonderful is to have a GM that can really capture talent. That goes to show no one is perfect. Not even close. The Broncos are shit out of luck QB wise. We should have traded Teddy to them for a kings ransom. The difference between Mac and Elway is Elway actually has a better coach.

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup. And i remember. There were so many Jet fans who were furious about drafting Darron Lee while passing on their favorite bums like Paxton Lynch, Laquon Treadwell and many more (some still butthurt today).

In regards to babkub Quarterback, I'm not concerned. We've got Josh McCown as a veteran backup and if we're to need call on a 3rd string QB, our season was over to begin with.

For 3rd string we could always use Terrelle Pryor. A former High School QB, 3 year starter @ Ohio State (QB) and also 3 years of NFL experience as a QB, although only 10 career starts. Although if Pryor is flashing for us at WR I'd rather not.

#12 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    LAJet likes this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO we didn't miss out on anything with Falk. I may be mistaken, but the offense would have to change a good bit with Falk at QB. His mobility is below average as is his arm strength.

15. NCJetsfan

We need a 3rd QB, but I wouldn't want Jones or Webb.

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

McCown's injury last year is not an aberration, imo, He took a hit on his hand from a Bronco helmet and missed the remainder of the season. Not so sure that 2 QB's is a good idea.

It's one thing to get injured enough to miss a bunch of games - yes we're screwed either way. But, concussion protocols are an issue also. Expecting to miss at least the rest of the game, is not uncommon. A 39yo backup? MAc is out of his mind.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

actually, i was screaming at the tv during 6th and 7th rounds for mac to pick up chad kelly.
    as bad as elway missed on lynch, he is going to get lucky on kelly .
    remember that brady was an afterthought in the 6th round by the hoodie,

LAJet likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Kelly has a lot of talent. For some reason his games at Ole Miss were shown here almost every week and I got to see him play a lot. Early on, I was all in on him, but soon saw that he is a streaky QB, and was inconsistent in college. He also had several off-field incidents, and at best, has questionable character. If he can learn to be more consistent, and stay out of trouble off the field, then he can become a very good NFL QB. Still, by the time he was in the draft, I didn't want him due to character issues. QB is the one position where you absolutely cannot have character concerns/issues.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

so, i guess you would rule out broadway joe, farve, brady, jim mcmahon,etc.? those guys all have rings....just saying
    besides, using a 6th or 7th pick on kelly would have made much more sense for mac than a 2nd on hackenberg!

20. NCJetsfan

You're comparing apples and oranges. Those three were from a different era, and their characters are not anywhere near as bad as Kelly's was getting in bar fights, threatening people with a gun. Namath and Favre were womanizers. I don't remember McMahon's character. I wouldn't have wanted McMahon because he was awful. 10 year-old girls have better arms than he had.

I do agree that using a 6th or 7th on Kelly would have made more sense than a 2nd on Hackenberg in terms of talent and production, but again, QB is the one place where you cannot have character concerns. Hack was just a terrible pick, period. I think that it's very possible that a lot of Kelly's issues were immaturity. If Mac had thoroughly vetted him, then I think taking a flyer on him would have been a good thing.

From a SI article on Kelly:

#20 NCJetsfan, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018