Backup QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 20, 2024.

?

Backup QB options

1. Jimmy Garoppolo

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Jameis Winston

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Joe Flacco

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Trevor Siemian

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Ryan Tannehill

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Jacoby Brissett

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  7. Tyrod Taylor

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Marcus Mariota

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. QB not listed

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I also like it but why would Washington get rid of him? Even if they draft a QB, he’d be a great bridge or camp competition at a very low cost.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

His speculation would be if they opted to retain Brissett or go with another veteran backup instead to completely redo the QB room. Depends how the new regime sees things. I agree that it seems a little optimistic. But if they want a real fresh start, maybe an earlier Day 3 pick is more valuable to them

Either way, at least one should be available and those are my top two choices for backup QB.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

New regimes often bring changes like that

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No Mason Rudolph on the poll? Big, strong and has the fiery edge. Didn't he step in and help Pitt at the end of this season? I didn't follow the Steelers this year (barely) which was kinda nice for a change with them being kinda bad in recent year but I thought heard Rudolph stepped in and played well down the stretch.

Most of the options on that list above are HORRIBLE. No to most of them. There were other journeyman QB's like Rudolph who are younger and bigger and have a cannon of an arm that I would take over most of those names on the list.

Damn some Jets fans have been so beaten down that you don't even know what a potentially good QB looks like. SMH.

5. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Most importantly of all there is that I could actually see Rodgers signing off on Rudolph as his backup. Which again is an surrounding aspect here that needs to be stressed until it finally hits home with people. Rodgers' ownership level say in the matter is obviously not allowing them to put a guy behind him who can potentially make things uncomfortable in the event his 41yo butt plays poorly. A younger guy with at least some type of potentially untapped upside, but who is still registering in with little name recognition value in the media, is the best case scenario for us fans here.

I could get behind Rudolph as a solid BU option here.

#125 Kronoking, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    JetsNation06 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

Lets not forget, Rodgers' long soliloquy on the McAfee show about his intention to join the Jets BEGAN with "Well, when the Packers drafted Jordan Love...."

so yes, I think, unfortunately, his input will be heard at the ownership level and that his input on the potential of drafting a QB at no. 10 will be very negative like it was with Love

7. Kronoking

The above said though my money would still be on the jets taking a mid round QB in the draft if the decent opportunity presents itself from the 3rd round on. As it likely amounts to best compromise here between the FO obviously preferring to have a non-trash backup (not that 90% of the NY fanbase/media still simping hard on Rodgers would ever acknowledge the obvious there lol) , and a surrounding need to cater to the "what Rodgers wants" stuff.

Basically just end up rebooting the presentation sell you had for Zach last winter. On a guy who will ultimately be deemed to green by too many to just simply hand the reigns over to in the event Rodgers and the team struggle in 2024.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"If wishes were horses..."

Until it happens, I wouldn't count on it happening. And with the F.O. and CS we currently have, it's not going to happen.

9. Kronoking

I don't think it's a stretch to also point out that this franchise has never been further away then it is right now in regards to having the support system in place that is even capable of adequately developing a QB.

That glass ceiling with Hackett as your only offensive mind in the room is really really freaking low.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem is that the Jets don't have a 5th in 2024. It would either have to be a 4th or 6th round pick this year or next year's 5th rounder.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I wonder if we could find three people here who would give a crap if Rodgers gets negative after all he's done for the Jets?

12. BrowningNagle

only 1 person matters and thats woody and he aleady said he does care what rodgers thinks

ouchy likes this.
  13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Mason Rudolph? Seriously? 1st, when I made the thread, he wasn't a "spot on sheet...er...free agent landscape and 2nd, really...REALLY?!? THIS is what the NY Jets are looking at as a possible backup. Or, at the very least, the fans? Not this fan...not in a million years. I vote hell no.

On a side note, the point of this thread wasn't to actually find a backup QB. It was a point in showing exactly how BAD the backup qb landscape really is. Seriously, the ONLY two QB's in the league I would even think about signing, with a realistic shot of actually winning games, would be Brissett or a guy like Minshew and neither of those people are coming to this team. At this point may as well go into the season with Trevor as the team won't have to waste time teaching a "new guy" our useless fucking offense that will NOT be "here" in 2025. End of story.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I voted for Jameis Winston. He throws a lot of interception but can move the ball as well. Bring him in.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. Kronoking

I'm actually more optimistic and intrigued overall on what a full season of a humbled and post-TB Winston looks like at this point then I am with a 41yo Aaron Rodgers 2 years removed from a sharp decline season. He's at the very top of my league backup QB options who might realistically out perform Rodgers as a starter here list.

Doesn't sound like we are gonna see that even elsewhere though with reports of him wanting to re-sign in NO.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He did? Was that before or after September 11th?

In any event, I still don't care what Rodgers thinks. Or Johnson.

17. BrowningNagle

Mike Tannenbaum suggested Russell Wilson as the Jets backup QB this morning

Provided the Broncos cut him, he’s 36, bring him in Ala Vinny Testaverde late in his career. Russ sits, but most likely sees time when Rodgers gets hurt again. Comes back in 25 as the full time starter

I kinda love it except it has zero chance of happening especially with that shit bag Hackett here, he nearly destroyed Wilson’s career

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yah that’s a zero chance in hell type suggestion…just kind of dumb

Wilson isn’t playing for Hackett, no way AR would want him here, Hackett wouldn’t want him here, we don’t have the cap room that he would cost, and he’s not cut yet anyway…

Can’t imagine any serious context behind those comments…

BrowningNagle and ouchy like this.
  19. Kronoking

Gun to my head and with surrounding setup being completely equal my money would be on a 35yo Rus to outperforming a 41 yo Rodgers next year. But again and besides the damning Hackett factor you already pointed out, there is no freaking way Rodgers with an ownership level say in the matter is signing off on that. I get there is still a large amount of simping still going on within the NY media/fanbase as far as wanting to project Aaron Rodgers out as a savior here, but NY can just be too much of a fickle biatch as soon as the struggling he avoided entirely last year potentially kicks in.

I mean play that out in reality for a second, and with this Jets team starting with 4 straight road games next year (Arziona/Jacksonville/Miami/NE). With a coaching staff that is still is offering zero indication they even know how to competently run an offense, and with a QB who in the overwhelmingly most likely scenario ends up seeing his ability age into it's 40s like every other QB not named Tom Brady has. We drop that first game everybody is going to be optimistically penning in as a W and the annual doom and gloom is setting in week 1. Win that but likely drop the next 2 to clearly better football teams and it's still the same deal.

How long does that overly optimistic expectation bubble people have put around Rodgers actually hold up in the event he and this offense struggle out the gate next year? With such a razor thin jump to make there into a conclusion that he's simply too old and cooked? *AND* wiith a Hall of Famer QB in his own right, coming off a 26TD/8INT ratio season, sitting there behind as an alternative option people could then then cling on to as the presented "fix" solution. Of all the worse case scenario setups you can bet the farm Rodgers is going to be insisting on avoiding after taking that $35m paycut, this one is probably topping the suggestive list atm/imo :)

mezzavo, BrowningNagle and Brook! like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Lots of spam accounts lately.