Backup QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 20, 2024.

?

Backup QB options

1. Jimmy Garoppolo

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Jameis Winston

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Joe Flacco

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Trevor Siemian

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Ryan Tannehill

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. Jacoby Brissett

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  7. Tyrod Taylor

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. Marcus Mariota

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. QB not listed

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

If the "tea leaves" are correct it would seem that this team intends to go into the 2024 season status quo. Outside the draft, the only thing that MUST change is backup QB...err...our next starting QB. Needed to make sure I pointed that out.

Let's be real. Rodgers will be LUCKY to survive a quarter of the season behind that line. Based on recent facts and events, this team will NOT address the o-line in any significant way that will manifest itself on the field and they have decided to stand pat on ALL of the offensive coaches so we can't hope to have better o-line coaching. Wilson is as good as gone and I swear to all that's holy if they trot out Siemian as the backup there will be a full on Jet's fan mutiny.

So, having said that, who out there is DESPERATE enough to come to this team in a backup QB capacity? It's irrelevant whether or not they are any good. The only set of criteria that matters to this team is that they are a veteran, won't piss off King Rodgers and walk upright.

My guess is Flacco, Brissett & Taylor will resign with their current teams. Mariota is interesting because, with our line, he still has the wheels to get out on the edge. And, after the "insubordination incident" of 2023, you can shelve any discussion about Winston. The Jets have enough problems without adding that kind of "character" to the mix.

I'm on the fence with this one but, at this stage, I would be O.K. with Garoppolo or Tannehill. They both are on the downside and shouldn't "scare" King Rodgers. Pending o-line protection, they might actually be able to put on a show of competent QB play while keeping the team from getting full on blown out in the games they play. Let the voting begin!

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

In true JETS fashion they'll turn back to Flacco, who will then turn back into the tired old man we saw on the field last season....

3. mezzavo

I voted Garoppolo. His injury history isn't quite as bad as Tannehill's and he is familiar with the offense and most of the coaches. He's an East Coast kid and I think he and Rodgers would get along. Let's face it, it's all about King Rodgers. Every decision this team makes over the course of the next 2 years revolves around King Rodgers.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Honestly, does it matter who we get? As you pointed out, who wants to come here? Not just because of the offensive ineptitude, but state sales tax, a terrible and reactive owner, a horrendous offensive coordinator, a head coach who can't get anyone to stay disciplined, a losing history where we're constantly in the headlines for mind blowing reasons - we will have to overpay quite a bit for anyone who comes. And we won't be overpaying for big stars, we will be giving mediocre mid-level guys too much time and money as we usually do.

In typical Jets fashion, we had a nice window last year where players actually wanted to come here because of a combination of Aaron Rodgers and a misguided perception that we were a championship defense that just needed him to put us over the top. That was not just damaged, but completely obliterated this past season. I don't think any high value free agent would even think about coming here. They will only think about using us to drive up the price - as usual.

#4 The_Darksider, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    mezzavo likes this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Personally my preferred move would be to get Sam Darnold back in the fold.

Failing that I took Tannehill of that fairly uninspiring list. If Rodgers goes down with a "normal" couple week type injury I'm pretty confident he could hold things together for a little while.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Siemien looked fine to me towards the end of the season. He brought the team back to win against the Commanders then managed the game beautifully against the Patriots in the snow.

At this point he has some time & experience in the system & with the team so why start from ground zero all over again?

Garropolo would make more sense to me if Josh McDaniels were to get hired which doesn't look like it's going to happen.

For sure Garoppolo would be a heck of a insurance policy but with his resume & age it's possible he'd be too 'threatening' to Aaron Rodgers. A QB controversy waiting to happen.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Pretty surprised one of these teams haven’t tried to get Jameis and give him the opportunity to start like the Buccaneers did with Baker.

I think Jacoby Brissett is the gold standard of backup QB’s we’re looking for. You can try to sell him on a bridge year after Rodgers leaves too.

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Bro, no way that would ever happen.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Your right but still.... wouldn't you prefer him over that list? I would.

10. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Why are s Minshew not on the list? Minshew, Brisset, Taylor or Tannehill would all be fine. Is a good year for free agent backups. Garappolo seems injury prone.

NCJetsfan and mezzavo like this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Brissett is the only option here. Big no to Jimmy G, although having a guy who is essentially made of glass be the backup to a 40 year old coming off an achilles tear would be typical Joe Douglas.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Do people really think keyser soze will make that much of a difference? Gee, if it was just a different backup that was needed, well who knew?

13. mezzavo

I didn’t put Minshew on the list because he is as good as resigned by the Colts. At least that is what I would do. However, if he came free he would go to the top of the list. The Colts were alright with him holding the reins.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Drew Lock

he showed some things late in the year. You’d be getting a young QB with backup experience

15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Have a feeling Brissett is going to get 2 years/ North of 10 million +. I think he will have a boatload of suitors this offseason and probably will be able to start somewhere -- New England specifically if they draft Jayden Daniels at 3.

mezzavo likes this.
  17. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

That sounds like Zach Wilson.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but less of a pussy

teamgreen likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If Brissett becomes available, he's option #1 in my mind. He's demonstrated that he's more than capable of keeping a team competitive if the starter goes down.

Option 2 would be Tannehill followed very closely by Mariota.

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I voted Brissett because he was one of the top backups this season full of backups. Baring that, however, a guy I would consider as a strong backup candidate is Josh Johnson, currently with the Ravens (it's hard to keep track of what team he's on, LOL.) He has had a few stints as backup for the NY Jets and I recall that whenever he was called on to play he made things happen offensively. I could sleep very easily if he was the backup next season.