Ashtyn Davis vs Marcus Maye

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Did JD draft Ashtyn Davis in order to part ways with Marcus Maye? Possibly.

With Maye entering the last year of his 4yr rookie contract, he'll be looking for big contract #2. Here's what top safeties are getting paid (the same list Marcus is looking at):
    • 1. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
    • 2. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
    • 3. Redskins safety Landon Collins: $14 million
    • 4. Ravens safety Earl Thomas: $13.75 million
    • 5. Dolphins safety Reshad Jones: $12 million
    • 6. Raiders safety Lamarcus Joyner: $10.5 million
    • 7. Vikings safety Harrison Smith: $10.25 million
    • 8. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $9.5 million
    • 9. Packers safety Adrian Amos: $9 million
    • 10. Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins: $8.75 million
    How much will Marcus command? $7m? $10M? more maybe? In general, top FS who lock down the back half of the field get paid more than box safeties. The NY Jets situation with Jamal Adams is unique.

With JD getting ready to pay Jamal in the $17M range, there's no way he'll invest even more in the other safety position. He can't.

In comes Ashtyn Davis, the top rated FS in the 2020 draft.

I wouldn't be shocked if JD traded Marcus during TC to a FS needy team. I don't think JD will let Maye play out the season then walk way for nothing.

What you think? Is Marcus Maye done?

NYJetsO12, twown, themorey and 4 others like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If they do resign Adams for $15+ million per year, it's hard to imagine them then resigning Maye for $7-10 million. That's a lot of money to invest in the safety position. It's really too bad because I really like Marcus Maye, but understand it might not be sensible. If this is the inevitable path, then trading him is actually a good idea. It sounds like Ashtyn Davis projects well as a FS and could even be more dynamic than Maye. Even if both are on the team in 2020, Davis provides depth and sounds like he can get on the field in many subpackages and potentially be a good contributor.
    Or, if they don't trade Maye now and something were to go very wrong with resigning Jamal Adams, could Maye move over to SS and Davis play FS?

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the pick for Davis was with an eye on 2021 for the exact reason you surmise--avoid tying up so much money at the safety position. Leads me to believe Joe will resign Adams fairly soon. I don't think Maye will be traded, nor do I think Davis will be molded into a CB this year, as some have predicted. Davis will be backup FS this year, maybe play some nickel and for sure special teams, and then take over as starting FS in 2021. That is what I think their plan is, but, hey, I've been wrong before.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If he lets Maye play out the season and test free agency he will be joining a large group from this years free agency with one year contracts plus others who will be free agents. Being Maye will likely demand a decent contract, along with some on one year contracts, this may finally put the Jets in a position to start getting some comp picks. Remains to be seen if they get comp picks but if they are going to truly build from the draft hopefully next draft will have a few extras.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The thing is Maye is a good safety not a top of the class safety, I like him but at the end of the day this is the kind of player that we need to take a team friendly deal or we will be not making a Superbowl as we will have to keep on trading them away if they all want to be paid at the top of the tree.

7m tops for me, Adams would be paid more because he does more all over the field but again I wouldn't be comfortable paying him 15m either but he will want to be paid the best a safety has been paid.

22m for two safeties is a lot at the end of the day.

#5 K'OB, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Brook!, SOJAZ, NoodleArm and 3 others like this.
  6. Footballgod214

In a perfect world this would be the perfect plan....let Davis develop a season while we still have Maye.

However, Davis is highly rated FS, even higher than Maye coming out. Some scouts had Davis as a mid first round pick going to Miami.

If we didn't already have a FS (Maye) then we'd all be thrilled with Davis starting day one, learning on the fly, especially with Jamal as his sheppard. Keeping Maye for an extra season and letting Davis develop slowly is a luxury that could cost us a nice draft pick. If JD could get a 2021 3rd for Maye, even a 4th and a 6th, I think JD would be all over that.

7. Footballgod214

I'm not sure where they rate these guys, but I'm sure Maye is a top 5-10 FS in the league. Maye can also play in the box if needed. If Robbie Anderson can get $10m, Maye should get that at least, probably more. If we let Maye test the waters, we will never be able to match, not with big $s going to Jamal.

So it comes down to what's more valuable? Keeping Maye for the 2020 season to mentor Davis, or trading Maye now for a future draft pick.

Personally I'd see how well Davis plays out in TC (if we have one) and go from there. If he looks good, trade Maye now (like the NE model).

Brook!, SOJAZ, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Maye has a huge incentive to play at his absolute best right now. We should get every once of him up until the trade deadline. If Davis is taking playing time from him it tells you all you need to know.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. K'OB

Unfortunately, it may come to that, I don't like this much though tbh as I like a bit of two-way loyalty, even more so as a fan, who doesn't love a one-team man, draft to retirement but they have to want that themselves and be willing to make less but still a very good wage, of course, the other end of this argument for this cheaper wage is the fact the club would dump them at a drop of the hat if their play were to downturn, over 2 seasons.

Loyalty in the NFL is not as prevalent as in soccer.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. K'OB

edit as for Robby, I guess WR is better position to get paid in than an S, think of it in boxing terms, in the past it was middleweight then super middleweight and heavyweight that were the box office kings, I know a few other weights get paid better now but they have to be truly world-class stars but the big money is always for the heavyweights.

11. Footballgod214

I'm with ya on that 100%. I hate 2c players i really like getting let go due to cap crush. Just like Robbie. I really loved his speed and hands, but he had to go, all over $1m.

As our team gets better and better, and we start getting more and more stars like Jamal/Sam that need to get paid huge bucks, I think it's gonna happen more often going forward. Cap management is a big part of being a good GM, but it means letting good players like Maye and Robbie go way too soon.

Hows the UK doing mate?

K'OB likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what happens. I can't see the Jets paying over $20 million for two safeties, yet Davis has the potential to be a lot better than Maye, and thus wind up getting a bigger 2nd contract. Between Adams and Davis, the Jets could wind up paying their two safeties between $30- $40 million per season. What are they going to do, just keep FSs 4-5 years then trade them or let them walk in FA, and draft another? I don't think there's any doubt that having both Davis and Maye makes the team stronger/better on D. Is that enough to offset the high cost? Who knows? We have a bigger need at CB right now. If Davis could make the switch to CB full time, that could help the team even more, but that's asking a lot. He's smart, so he possibly could do it within a year or two, but the Jets may just want to use him on STs and in nickel and dime packages his 1st season.

Even if the idea is for him to replace Maye, and the Jets don't trade him because they want Davis to learn from him, Maye will potentially get the Jets a good compensatory pick.

NYJetsO12 and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s a shrewd move to be sure. This is how you get comp picks that everyone is always asking for. Let Davis develop for a year, let Maye walk, get a comp pick for Maye signing a big deal elsewhere. Seamless transition. Keep Adams, a best in the league difference maker.

14. K'OB

I have been lucky during this crisis and I hope all of you have been the same.

My life hasn't changed much tbh, bar my holiday being cancelled, I am a key worker so it is the same as usual, up and delivering food to care homes and hospitals etc, very early on my son caught this thing but the worry wasn't there as nobody had died at that point, he recovered just fine, thankfully.

It has been kind of ironic that since lockdown was brought in the UK has seen a sustained sunny period with no rain lol

So no lockdown blues for me but I would imagine the people who own pubs and restaurants are feeling the bite without the summer season cash, there will be closures and probably job losses to look forward to.

Hope you and yours are well.

nycarl, Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think some of you are massively undervaluing Maye. I haven't looked at the stats, but by the eyeball test, the Jets D is very much worse when he's not on the field.
    Maye being very good at his job is a big part of why Adams is able to go do all the things he does.

Brook!, FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

And? If Davis starts taking playing time from him during Maye's contract year and meets the eyeball test nice pick.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, but they're not going to pay big bucks to three Safeties...1 will be leaving. Frankly if Douglas can get a haul for Adams, keeping Maye and Davis might be the way to go. Excuse me while I go put in my earplugs as the chorus of "No fucking way!" begins.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

So you're saying that if all our draft picks turn out to be as good as, or better than, all of our current starters, then maybe the team might be good?!!??!?!?!

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You're going to replace an all pro, drafted from the SEC, Clemson legendary defender, man against boys, the conference that sends players to the NFL who make you want to hide your wife and children from, for a pussey who played for the Golden Bears. "No Fucking way!"

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Addition by addition. Yeah that works.