Arsenal?s Position by Position Analysis (Linebackers) [Part 2]

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by arsenal1189, Aug 4, 2006.

1. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Arsenal?s Position by Position Analysis (Linebackers) [Part 2]

This is my second installment on the NY Jets LB corps. I discussed Jon Vilma, Brad Kassell and Bryan Thomas with that post. Here was the premise for my previous post.

There is no position harder on defense to learn than the LB position. With the inherent move to the 3-4 defense, some of our players will have a tough time to make a transition. The advantage however is that the NY Jets come into this season with more depth at the LB position than ever before.

After being our strength for the past two seasons, the law firm of Tannenbaum and Mangini fortified that position for good with the additions of Brad Kassell, Matt Chatham, Alonzo Jackson and Anthony Schlegel. This along with the former: Jonathan Vilma, Eric Barton, Victor Hobson, Mondoe Davis, Darrell McClover, Bryan Thomas, Trevor Johnson and Ryan Myers create a dynamic group capable of playing both in the 4-3 defense and the 3-4 defense.

So far as per camp reports this is the breakdown on starters and competitors:

3-4 Defense

First Team

OLB: Bryan Thomas
    ILB: Jonathan Vilma
    ILB: Eric Barton
    OLB: Brad Kassell/Victor Hobson

Second Team

OLB: Victor Hobson/Brad Kassell
    ILB: Anthony Schlegel
    ILB: Matt Chatham
    OLB: Trevor Johnson

(I am not sure about Alonzo Jackson but I am sure he is getting in the mix with the second team)

4-3 Defense

First Team

?Sam? LB: Victor Hobson/Brad Kassell
    ?Mike? LB: Jonathan Vilma
    ?Will? SLB: Eric Barton

Second Team

?Sam? LB: Victor Hobson/Brad Kassell
    ?Mike? LB: Anthony Schlegel
    ?Will? SLB: Matt Chatham

At least that is what my assumption is based on their past experiences. I see Trevor Johnson as a pass rushing LB used for substitution situations in the past few weeks.

Now, that second team is pretty damn good for a 4-12 team which was, what?!?, 28th in the league in rushing defense. Furthermore, we now have a whole medley of different players for different situations. I can?t help but to be excited about this situation we have in New York. Here is my analysis on every single player we have right now:

Victor Hobson:

[​IMG]
    Victor Hobson has been quite a disappointment out of The University of Michigan. He has never amassed over 75 tackles in a season and has only two picks and three sacks in his career. Furthermore, he was benched in his second season for Mark Brown. He is still and intriguing prospect who has to deal with constant changes at defensive coordinator as well as learn the hardest position on the field.

Coming out of Michigan, Hobson was a two way threat at both MLB and OLB. He usually plays strong side OLB and is one of the best tacklers on the team. He has great form and explodes into ball carriers laying wood on them. He was an OLB on three LB sets while moving to the middle on nickel situations. He was a team leader with Michigan but at this point he is too young to be extremely vocal, especially when there are players close to ten years older than him. We can worry about that later. He is interesting again because I feel Mangini is using him in the wrong area and space. He is lining up at OLB in the 3-4 when I feel he can best be utilized in the ILB spot. He is not afraid to engage with offensive lineman and certainly knocks some heads out there. He is also not afraid to shed away from blockers and attack the ball.

He has weaknesses? similar to Kassell. He has weak hips does not turn well. He has bad instincts when the ball is in the air as well as the ground. He cannot be counted upon in pass coverage as he does not have the speed to stay with premier players nor the skill to attack the ball for picks. He runs around a 4.8, not slow but not fast. He is not smooth and is choppy in his running style. He reminds of a weaker version of Kassell. His pass anticipation is what hurts him. He can be a great substitution run stopper LB in SY/GL situations and replace Vilma. The one small thing he has going for him is his short area burst. He can really gain power with a step into a tackle. This is also useful when blitzing and you get to attack the ball. He rarely blitzed from the strong side during the Edward?s era and he has this step over Kassell. He has a very thick chest, and is just dense in muscle terms. Very fit IMO.

He had 11 sacks in his last two seasons at Michigan, not bad for a SSLB.

Eric Barton:

[​IMG]
    Barton was and still is our most instinctive linebacker. He has terrific awareness and rarely gets lost in play action and draws. He is a solid tackler, not overly fast, but is fluid in his movements. He can engage and disengage well and is a solid blitzer. He is also very good at pass coverage. He is just a very polished player who is not great at anything but is good at everything. I can see him in the outside as well as the inside. He played MLB in Maryland and does play as the nickel LB for the Jets.

He is our second best cover LB behind Jon Vilma. I can see him at OLB because it will be his responsibility to cover the TE and all the strong side runs. He will also expect to be called on for blitzing the QB. All these facets of the game require a very complete player. I see Eric Barton as that complete player.

Alonzo Jackson:
    [​IMG]
    Jackson is an interesting player as he was a former rush linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He never really got an opportunity at Pittsburgh and I haven?t heard much about him and where he is lining up. Jackson reminds me of Thomas in a lot of respects. He is a pass rusher and is extremely fit. He runs around a 4.7-4.8 but his change of direction is very good. He will not be good at chasing ball carriers but he tackles extremely well. If he gets to the QB, no matter who it is, he is going down. Has very good balance and moves smoothly in his rushing movements. Does a good job of keeping blockers away from his chest, but if a long armed OT latches onto him he is out, the play is over. He fits the prototypical size for a 3-4 OLB with a 6?4? 266 pound frame.

Jackson will make the team for one reason, his pass rush. Other than Bryan Thomas there is no pure OLB in the 3-4 defense. Jackson can fill that void and come into play on 3rd and long and on an all out blitz.

I hope you liked this installment and please tell me if you disagree, agree, or have a question.

Thanks

2. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Note: Part 3 coming tommorow....

3. Tight

Tight Active Member

didnt hobson get hurt , thass why brown took his spot ?

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hurt or not...theres no doubt that hobson has been a disappointment

5. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

nice f'ing post, alot of effort put forth

6. Ten

Ten Active Member

I think he got hurt but Donnie Henderson believed that you have to earn your starting spot back.It took Hobson a good wee while to earn his spot back.

Great post Arsenal,although i'd highlight that Hobson does a lot of the dirty work.He tended to be the guy who took out the lead blocker and allowed Vilma to make the play.He's never really been placed in a position where he could make plays.

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

great post! I enjoyed it very much!

8. xBleedingGreen62x

speaking of mark brown....what happened to him? did we cut or release him? i liked mark brown a great deal i dont know what happened to him

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Am i stupid? I thought Barton was an outside LB... is he an inside?

10. Keeprunning28

Keeprunning28 New Member

4-3 Barton plays OLB, 3-4 Barton plays ILB w/ Vilma

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Big mistake having Barton play inside with Vilma (both undersized) and DROB in front of them is just asking to get the ball run up the gut... What the hell are they thinking with this.....

I know he played there in college, but he is so much more valuable in space on the other OLB (Thomas is the RUSH OLB) and is great in pass coverage. We need a big body to play the thumper ILB....ala Kessell or Hobson.

I still like the 4-3 with Ellis, Van-Off, DROB, and Thomas up front

Barton, Vilma, and Hobson behind them

12. Ten

Ten Active Member

Contract ran out.He sined with the Cards in free agency i think.

13. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

Intersting stuff folks. I feel like Hobson was not even good at his role on defense. He rarely helped Vilma as Vilma always made tackles 7 yards down the field on defense, that goes hand in hand with the fact Kassell has done more in his career leads me to believe Hobson is getting cut

14. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

doesnt barton play in the exact same style as vilma?? Why not have Vilma/Schlegel inside and barton outside

15. arsenal1189

arsenal1189 New Member

I have what I would do in the Part 3, thread....BTW your avatar is DA BOMB

16. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

woo yeh.. Its Jennifer Hawkins, winner of miss universe last year

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Arsenal, we share very similar opinions on this teams' linebackers. I have been a big supporter of B Thomas and I also think he will flurish in the new 34. Alonzo Jackson has also been a guy I've been wanting to keep an eye on but have heard absolutely nothing of him in camp (If anyone has been watching him I'd appreciate hearing of how he is doing). He seems to be the prototypical OLB this team is looking for and I'd like to see more of him.

Barton could play probably OLB or ILB it wouldn't matter. He will be a key to this defense in my opinion but I haven't heard much of him in camp either.
    Hobson in my opinion could be the guy next to Vilma on the inside. He has great size and could take on blockers head on to keep guys off Vilma... Great at wrapping ball carriers up as well. I agree that Mangini should try him out at ILB and try Barton at OLB but we'll see.

Should be interesting to see how our boys play in the preseason. :beer: