Are Chip Kelly and Tim Tebow a match waiting to happen?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Br4d, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Oregon Duck's head coach Chip Kelly is apparently headed for the NFL at some point soon and wants to bring the Spread Option along with him. Is Tim Tebow the guy who will get first shot at running his offense?

Discuss.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I mean if he thinks Tebow is his franchise QB that's got to be worth at LEAST a 2nd round pick. What teams are looking at a new coach in 2013?

3. Br4d

Jacksonville?

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting :)

5. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Umm, ya never know, the Jets might be the ones doing the hiring :)

6. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Why can't this wait till the end of the season?

7. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

How do we know Kelley is going to the nfl soon?

8. Br4d

9. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

10. Bannon

Bannon New Member

My work buddies and I were just talking about this over lunch a couple of days ago. I suppose one of them had read an article about Kelly being a likely NFL coach soon.

The topic was centered around the way Chip Kelly is a "Moneyball" type, the Billy Beane of football. Everything he does is statistically calculated as correlated with winning.

Tebow would be an interesting combo. I think if you put Tebow with a fast back like Darren Sproles, and a punishing back to absorb some carries and block, plus some fast receivers to run deep routes . . . . well, it would be gewd.

11. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

You know they can always draft Colin Klein, basically the same players as Tebow.

12. iloveradiohead

iloveradiohead New Member

Jacksonville would also have to replace the GM. Gene Smith does not want Tebow. Can't stress that enough.

13. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Gene Smith is the GM that has the hottest seat, he is architect of the horrific Jags right now. He is gone after this season, heck he could be gone next week.

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Same except for the heisman trophy , multiple NCAA championships and a ton of SEC rushing and passing records but other than that practically the same.....

15. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Death , taxes, and Gene Smith being replaced are the absolute certainties in life.....

#15 CowboysFan, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  16. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

No. Tebows a fullback. Chip Kelley likes his QBs to be RBs.

I think it would be stupid for Chip to come NFL. He's arguably the best coach in college football. Definitely top 3, if you wanna put him behind Saban and Miles.

But if he does wanna risk his reputation, the Eagles roster probably gives him a hard on. An elite RB, a fast QB, and a couple WRs with track speed. And with Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Todd Herremans coming back next season, that atrocity of an O-line might actually be a little better. But it doesn't work in the NFL, it just doesn't.

There will certainly be an opening though. Did anybody else watch MNF? Gruden was practically reading his resume on-air. I think they'll try and woo Sean Payton, fail and wind up with Gruden.

Kelley might also like Tennessee if they fire whats-his-name. The former HOF o-line guy. Jake Locker, Chris Johnson, Kendall Wright.

They're fun on Madden. That's what they should call Kellyball, the Madden offense.

17. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Chip Kelly loves speed players so that not Tebow. Keep reaching Tebow nuts. Lol

18. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

Tebow has never played FB. What are you talking about?

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it. I think the player safety movement is going to encourage smaller, faster and better conditioned players, and this may be the perfect offense for that.

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I love Colin Klein, and I see all the obvious similarities -- but the thing people miss is how much of a knack Tebow had for big, clutch throws. Klein is on pace for around 30+ TD passes in his whole career. Tim threw 30 or more TD's a season -- twice. Total of 88 TD passes career -- one less than Peyton Manning's college career. Klein surely cannibalizes some of his TD passes as TD rushes -- but so did Tebow. Tebow passed for one less TD than Peyton, while rushing for more TD's than Herschel Walker. (And more than Klein will finish with).