April 14, 7 round mock. This one I like....a lot

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200414-upf34c6zzjex3fqemwjya7jq2y-story.html

We take our first stab at a seven-round Jets mock draft with a clear purpose: Bolster the NFL’s worst-ranked offense from a year ago.

Joe Douglas has made it clear that his offseason charge is to foster a better environment for Sam Darnold. So, we’re holding the general manager to his word with an offense-heavy mock.

We’re refraining from making trades in this exercise, but you can bet your derriere that Douglas & Co. will be amenable to wheeling and dealing to better position themselves to land their targets or acquire more draft capital.

ROUND 1: (No. 11)
    Georgia OT Andrew Thomas

[​IMG]

Our crystal ball foresees three offensive tackles off the board in the Top 10. Truth be told, my choice would be to trade down a few spots to pick up additional premium draft capital (an extra second or third-rounder would be great). But that’s against the rules in this mock draft. So, we’re grabbing a battle-tested, tough S.O.B. to anchor Darnold’s blindside.

Although the 6-5, 315-pound Thomas is a better run blocker than pass protector at the moment, he can improve some of the technical shortcomings in pass protection. His success in 41 career starts (26 at LT and 15 at RT) in the SEC matters.

ROUND 2: (No. 48)
    Colorado WR Laviska Shenault

[​IMG]
    Douglas’ decision to bypass one of the top two wideouts at No. 11 pays off when he snags the game-breaking Shenault, who might wind up as the steal of his first draft. Baylor’s blazer Denzel Mims would be a home run too, but he might not make it out of Day 1.

The 6-1, 227-pound Shenault offers run-after-catch explosiveness that would bring juice to Adam Gase’s offense. He has also proven to be a pain in the posterior as a runner. (Don’t discount that dimension, by the way).

Durability remains the biggest concern for Shenault, who required surgeries for turf toe and labrum injuries. He also underwent core muscle surgery in March.

ROUND 3: (No. 68)
    Temple C Matt Hennessy

[​IMG]
    Douglas takes a third consecutive offensive player with the hope of setting a foundation for one of the league’s most porous units. Hennessy, who’s older brother Thomas is Gang Green’s long snapper, has terrific athleticism and lateral quickness. He might not be the most powerful guy in the pivot, but his smarts, patience and toughness make him an intriguing addition for Gase’s zone-blocking based scheme.

The 6-4, 307-pound Hennessy’s arrival would prompt Connor McGovern to slide to right guard. New addition Greg Van Roten would provide depth along the interior.

ROUND 3: (No. 79)
    Mississippi State CB Cameron Dantzler
    [​IMG]
    It’s no secret that Gang Green needs to improve on the back end after utilizing a revolving door of cornerbacks last season. The 6-2, 188-pound Dantzler has the tools to be a quality press-man corner. He had 21 passes defensed in the past two seasons (24 games).

[More Jets] Jets favored in just one game in 2020, according to oddsmaker »
    Although he can be a bit too grabby, Dantzler plays with an edge and confidence that would fit nicely in Gregg Williams’ system. The biggest concern is deep speed for Dantzler, who ran a 4.64 40-yard dash at the Combine before posting a much faster time on social media recently.

Click the link for Rounds 4,5,6,6. Some good picks.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200414-upf34c6zzjex3fqemwjya7jq2y-story.html

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be a bad top 3 rounds at all. It’s just going to be really hard for me personally to swallow passing on Lamb or Jeudy for the fourth ranked tackle. I like Hennessy in the third though. I think that’s an ideal pick regardless unless we foolishly don’t go WR in one of the first two rounds.

LF911SC likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'd be fine with this to start the draft. We need immediate impact players and I think all of these guys fit the bill. Put me in the Thomas over Becton group for that very reason.

amuck57 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

Shenault is good with the ball in his hands but that injury history really jumped out at me just now. I knew about the core muscle surgery he had but I didn’t know he already had two other surgeries. Shades of Dee Milliner....

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Shenault plays like Quincy also. I'm gonna have to pass on Shenault. We need receivers that can stay healthy. His style of play + injury prone makes it a red flag for me.

I'm not a huge fan of this mock.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I like the Thomas and Hennessy picks, but Shenault's durability is concerning. I'd take Pittman, Mims, or Higgins over him.

7. Want no part of Thomas.Stiffness & lack of change of direction in a wide split set? Id hope Douglas & Gase are smarter than that. Thomas can be a successful lineman in the right setting.The one this team is looking to utilize is not it.It basically highlights his weaknesses.

I love Shenault & have for a long time.I think hes a better talent than hes given credit..but we’d be taking him over alot of other great options w.o the medical risk he presents.

Hennessy & the corner are fine though id rather double up on WRs.

8. BroadwayAaron

he’s a Quincy clone except his injuries started before he even got into the league. I do unfortunately think he’s a Gase fit because of what he can do when the ball is in his hands but that doesn’t make him the right pick. At this point though I have to believe that Joe Douglas is going to do what’s right. I don’t know why any jets general manager gets that kind of blind trust, but here I am.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

agreed on Thomas which is why I’ve been saying for weeks now it’s going to be very hard for me to swallow taking the fourth best lineman over potentially the best wide receiver. I understand drafting for a need but wide receiver is just as big a need and we could have the best one fall into our laps. Like I just said above I have no choice but to trust that Joe Douglas is going to do the right thing but I really hope it’s not just blind trust.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I made a thread about Hennessy in the draft thread and no **** bothered their arse to comment.

Funny world eh. :rolleyes:

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed when I watched Shenault. He seems like a high character guy though. Steven Montez' highly eradicate play, combined with a terrible offensive line/running game may have hindered what Shenault could showcase, but he looked a little bit clumsy to me. Strong as a bull and fast enough to make plays, but he seems to go down with ankle biting tackles a lot. I also didn't like him high pointing the ball.

It's always tough to give a receiver a fair assessment with an inaccurate QB though.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Any chance you can mention the other picks as that webpage is not available for us in the UK cheers.

13. The 4th best of a group that really isnt all that safe.They all have big upside but certainly drawbacks.All 4 could end up at RT or even Guard. None are sure thing day one starting LT or evenRT.

The WRs at the top are a much safer bet.Lamb can beat Ds in so many different ways that hes bound to find a productive role.Jeudy will always have a place bc of his route running ability.

its such a weird dynamic.Its so backwards to think that WR maybe the safer smarter bet than OT in round 1.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

i’ll be honest, I forget that there’s a draft form until the day of the first round and I’m wondering why no one is talking about the draft.

K'OB likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

glad to see you say that because it’s an extremely unpopular opinion but something I’ve been thinking since the season ended. It bucks all tradition. I mean at this point I do it for shits and giggles, but reply to any official Jets team Twitter account tweet saying that they should take Lamb and you have everyone telling you how it won’t matter who we draft if it’s not a tackle because Sam will be on his ass.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post. I think with Jeudy and Lamb, they are more of a guarantee for success than the tackles. Tackles are harder to find though. To me, Sam needs that #1 weapon. It is crucial for a QB's success. However, being protected is also crucial. Unfortunately, Douglas can't solve all the problems at once. The Jets have many. I am cool with either direction they go, but I still would prefer the WR. Lamb or Jeudy.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of that mock. I don't think Thomas is a good fit for the Jets' blocking scheme. Would Douglas want the Jets to change their blocking scheme to accomodate Thomas? Doubtful, unless Gase got onboard with that. Like others not that high on Shenault due to his injuries. I'd be ok with Hennessy in the 3rd, but I don't think he'd automatically replace McGovern at C, at least not without competition, and McGovern is better at C than OG. IMO that would make the McGovern signing less of a good signing. I like Dantzler's play in college, but unless he plays a lot faster than his 40 time, imo he's too slow to be that effective in the NFL.

Also, this mock should go in the Mock Draft thread in the Draft forum, not in the Jets forum.

18. 101GangGreen101

IMO, he's not the type of receiver Darnold needs right now (Q and Crowder fit those skill-sets), but yeah agreed going to have to put our trust in JD.

19. 101GangGreen101

I don't think anyone is saying its a safer bet to take a WR over OT in RD1, but it is smarter. I think people are saying there are 4 or 5 OT that can bring stability to this team for the next decade wherever that be LT or RT and both are very important. I think a lot of us are forgetting Josh Jones as well as a potential LT. There are a ton of receivers in this draft.

Like I said, can't throw to Lamb if the QB is on his ass because we have Fant and Edoga playing tackle. And I don't think anyone should put their hopes into a 3rd or 4th round OT. Maybe you get that 2nd tier lineman in the 2nd, but I am not sure.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Shenault is a beast but that injury history scares me. He reminds me of Deebo Samuel...again you need an OC to get him creative ways to get the football.

I’d rather get the top WR, then grab possibly the 5th or 6th OT it the tackles were gone in that sense. I love Dantzler...he’s gonna be a good one IMO.