Anyone watch Leinart vs. Ravens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Another positive note..

Anyone watch how Leinart performed against the Ravens? Coincidentally, Leinart has more weapons on offense as the Jets, and just as good an O-line as we do. However, he was so ineffective, that his coaching staff pulled him for Warner.

Point being- Clemens clearly outplayed Leinart against the same defense, and with fewer weapons (and obviously fewer starts). This makes me feel really good about Clemens, and where he is at this point compared to last years draft class. I don't want to anoint Kellen the Marino of the 2006 draft, but at this point our choice looks pretty solid.

So this is another positive for this season! Go Jets!

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Leinnart was removed in favor of Warner

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I was happy because i traded Leinart for Pennington in my fantasy league on Friday, Leinart sucks and gets pulled, prennington throws for 2 TD's and rushes for 1. Nicely done

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight...They put Warner in for Leinart?

All kidding aside...The QB position will be the most highly scrutinized from that draft and thus far we look like roses.

5. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

after his first 3 quarters, we?d probably have Clemens benched, too, if we would have had anyone to go in for him.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

So, Coles, Cotch, Washington, Jones = fewer weapons? If anything I think the Jets have great offensive weapons and good depth to spread the ball to if you add in players like Baker and Smith.

Kellen played very well and thats a positive, but you are really under rating our skill players. Kellens fewer starts also means he's had fewer chances to have a real stinker of a game.

Leinart had a bad game, but as we are seeing with Brick, just because your drafted near the top does not mean instant impact. He needs time to grow into his role as much as Brick needs time to become a complete LT.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Leinart is a mediocrity who got a chance to QB the most stacked team in college football since the Miami powerhouses of the 90's. No surprise that he's having trouble in Arizona. He'd have been a nightmare here with the press just waiting to tear partyboy a new one.

8. German Jets Fan

Fitz/Boldin is one of the top 3 WR duos in the League, and Edge is one of the best Receivers out of the Backfield. We have some good weapons on Offense, but what Arizona has is Elite!

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes I was flipping between games & between flips Leinhart was no longer the QB & Warner was there in his stead

#9 championjets69, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Leinart was not making his first NFL start, IIRC...

11. rockyusmc2003

That's what I'm saying. We have weapons, but I think his weapons are better.

Don't get me wrong, Cotchery and Coles are a very good tandem! However, Fitzgerald and Boldin are amazing. You really can't compare Leon to Edgerrin. I'm not doubting out weapons, but I personally feel the Cardinals have more to work with.

12. rockyusmc2003

It was his first start though. And, it was against one of the toughest defenses in the league (if not the toughest).

BTW- They gave up 1 Sack, and we gave up 4 sacks. I would give the Offensive-line edge to the Cardinals.

13. sourceworx

sourceworx New Member

I was one of the few who was praying that we didn't take Leinart in the draft. Cutler was my first choice out of the QBs. Vince Young is showing me I was wrong about that one.

All in all, if Brick can build off of the great game he played against Taylor yesterday, then Tanny had one of the best drafts this team has ever had.

14. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Lienerts Performance gave new meaning to "deer in the headlights" Warner has always been a good Quarter back ;Best Back up Quarter back in the Game right now!

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Fitz/Boldin is top 3, Coles/Cotch is top 5. Edge and TJones are about even, IMO the Jets get the edge with Leon, Brad Smith(even though we haven't utilized them properly this year yet) and a better TE.

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I'll probably get flamed, but here goes: I think that our receiving corps and running backs are actually an elite group in the today's NFL. I think that they are the reason that Chad is able to pefrom still at a reasonably high level, and when Kellen gets in there I think you will see the numbers jump.

In terms of Leinart I was never really a fan of his.I am very happy with the QB we got from that draft which was one of the better QB drafts in a while.

17. amsingh

amsingh New Member

So this can only mean one thing... Kurt Warner is better than Kellen Clemens

18. German Jets Fan

but there?s a huge gab between the top 3 WR duos, and the rest of the League. Don?t get me wrong, we have a very good WR duo, and i?m very happy with what we got, but they are "only" very good. Fitz/Boldin is Elite. And T. Jones is also a very good weapon out of the backfield, but i?d still give Edge the edge:lol:. And if we?re talking about what comes after this guys, remeber we?re talking about the Ravens game, and what a great game our #3 WR had, that day.

19. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I'm not really second-guessing the Jets' decision to pass on Leinart. I think he's going to be an average to slightly above avg. NFL QB at best. Not worth a #4 pick. Cutler on the other hand looks real good from what I've seen although, I attribute a lot of that to Coach Shanahan.

I really don't think the 2006 draft will be remembered for producing a lot of great QB's. I think we did well to get Clemens in the 2nd round.

20. ........

........ Trolls

Having attended a Pac 10 school and currently living in Los Angeles, I've watched a ton of Pac 10 football over the past 8 years. I was always more impressed with Kellen Clemens than with Leinart. Br4dw4y5ux is spot on with his description of Leinart in college. He rarely had to rush a throw, even more rarely was sacked, and had receivers who brutalized less athletic DBs. I laughed on draft day when he dropped to a team that has a remarkable receiving corps and poor QB play, knowing that he'd actually have a chance to be successful.

As far as receivers go, it's really a matter of where you draw the line for elite and how many tandems make that distinction. Coles and Cotchery are a great receiving tandem, but even the most homer of posters would have a tough time placing them above Harrison/Wayne, Johnson/Houshmanzadeh, Fitzgerald/Bolquin, Moss/Stallworth (well, more Moss), and maybe even Roy Williams/Calvin Johnson. Toss in the #3 and it gets worse.