Another QB possibility

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Dec 20, 2020.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I know we're gonna spend months debating Darnold vs. Fields assuming we don't get back into the pole position for the draft but there's a third possibility I hadn't thought of till I heard his name get thrown out that might make you shudder...Carson Wentz.

It actually isn't impossible if you think about it...more and more Hurts is putting a grip on that Eagles job, the karma just isn't there for him in Philly so they may well be looking to move him. Joe Douglas came to Philly shortly after they drafted Wentz, you wonder what he thinks of him.

2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I want no part of Wentz. We can get that level of crappy performance out of Darnold next year for significantly less money. Both he and Pederson can stay as far away from this franchise as possible as far as I'm concerned.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I don't think Pederson's going anywhere, Hurts probably got him a contract extension :p

I'm not sure how the mechanics of cap trades work but don't the Eagles have to absorb a shit ton of cap hit on a trade regardless?

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Anything is possible and there is a connection there. But at this point Darnold is the cheaper option and I think has the higher ceiling. I would rate the probability of JD signing Wentz at less than 5%...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My crazy thought. If not TL, or Sam on the cheap,here is my long shot wild card. Dak Prescott in a trade.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Trading for Prescott would be far too risky at this point. We'd have to part with a lot of capital to get him, then sign him to a huge contract, and all of this for a guy coming off of a major injury. Too costly, I think.

I'd rather either trade out of the #2 pick for more draft capital, or take the Sewell kid with the pick, and continue to use all of these picks Douglas has accumulated to really build a great team from the ground up, and then do what we did at the start of the Bowles era and trade a late round pick for a veteran stopgap who can come in until we identify a QB in the draft. I would be interested in talking to the Raiders to see what we'd have to part with to get Marcus Mariota. He played well the other night in relief of Carr.

Leicester Jet and Red Menace like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, no way I want Prescott. He'd cost too much and isn't good enough.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No to Wentz and Prescott - both way too expensive and not guaranteed to make the Jets winners.

I want to see if Darnold can play these last 2 games like he did today. If he can, then I'd say keep him and see if they can get a good prospect in the draft to groom behind him. If he reverts to his more recent form under Gase, then maybe they look for a reasonably priced vet instead of him and draft a Qb to groom behind him.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on college QBs, but most of the top QBs in the league were passed over by many teams when they were drafted. So there is hope.

Tom Brady - 199
    Russell Wilson - 75
    Aaron Rodgers - 24
    Mahomes - 10

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

There’s a bad stench on Wentz. He’s hard to coach and he complicated the offense to the point where it’s a detriment to him and the team. Either the Jets decided to draft a dominant RT like Sewell or they move on from Sam and draft Zach Wilson. That’s the options now.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

he'd be our best QB since Namath

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Atlanta is in cap hell. We could probably pry away Matt Ryan.. this fucking sucks we are having this discussion

14. stinkyB

That would be SUCH a JETS move..... :confused:

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Trade down.

Keep Darnold.

Sign another experienced QB (Jameis Winston is a possibility).

Only draft a QB this year if the value is there.

If we suck next year we should have a lot of pieces to build around if we wait to use a big pick on a QB (or sign a big QB free agent).

16. stinkyB

I like this, sans the Jameis scenario....

barfolomew and Jets79 like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wentz is so soft. Darnold I think is pretty soft but he looks like a grizzled infantry man compared to Wentz.

I listened to a Philly beat writer who was treading lightly on Wentz. He said they have to coddle him in practice because he gets upset if someone intercepts him in practice. He said Wentz was coddled at North Dakota St. and has never been ready for big city NFL criticism. (He would be a disaster here...of all places).

The guy said that it was broken when they drafted Hurts, everyone knew Wentz wouldn't be able to handle that. The philly beat writers, knowing Wentz' personality cringed at the pick. Lastly, he said that Wentz gets hyper emotional about that Super Bowl title that Foles won for them. You can't even bring it up around him and it was toxic between Foles and Wentz...

-
    does that sound like a guy who is gonna come to the NY Jets, fight through criticism and QB competition and revitalize his career? fuck no.

18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

JAMEIS WINSTON ??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

K'OB, Snoopdogg and Red Menace like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is exactly the point people need to realize. JD is not spending this year. This has been said many times, but perhaps our judgment was a bit clouded with Trevor Lawrence dangling in front our eyes. JD will not spend big money until we are built through the draft. We need a competent coach, and I feel even without TL we can still attract a good one, since there are only a few HC opportunities in NFL. So, no Wentz, no Dak, just build through the draft, get a few value signings, and yes, probably a reasonably high draft pick next year too, perhaps like last year. Then let's see what happens. Perhaps Morgan will step up. Maybe we end with a QB this year, whom a decent coach can develop. But not until this team start being competitive through draft will big money be spent.

With Trevor likely out of reach, we are basically back to the plan JD laid out to begin with: evaluate Sam, and continue building from ground up. Sam's evaluation didn't go too well, but it's part of the plan, and we gotta keep building year by year without a turbo charger that TL would have been.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we go with Sam, this last 1-13 season could be a blessing. No way Sam will demand big $'s to re-up. JoeD could probably give Sam a 2nd contract in the low 20's. 4-5 yr, $100M-ish, $40-$50M guaranteed. About half of what Prescott is demanding. A reasonable contract would also make Sam much easier to trade down the road if need be.