An Open Letter To All Tebow Fans

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by abyzmul, Mar 27, 2012.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey there, people. I've had some run ins with people who seem to be following Tim Tebow exclusively. Lots of new users.

Some of you can even provide a manipulation-riddled yet convincing angle to Tim Tebow starting at QB. All involving stats, of course, but so be it.

What I am not seeing, in these arguments, are much detail as to the players on his previous team. I see vague endorsements of hate to his previous offensive coordinator, but no real mention of any Broncos save Tim Tebow. This leads me to believe that you really did not spend any time learning about the team he was on and how he really contributed to it, but in actuality spent most of your time finding some vague statistical quirks to portray your hero in a favorable light.

You're on notice, Tebow fans. You will learn about this team that Tebow plays on now, because you're not dealing with the weak sauce they serve in Denver anymore. And any half-assed arguments like I have seen supporting him will be summarily shredded by people that know better. A football team is more than one person.

Dial down the hero worship because right now your hero is a backup quarterback and a change of pace offensive weapon only.

2. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

In 2011 Tebow played for a team with great rushing ability, time in the pocket (in the little that i saw) and a punishing defense.

Sounds like someone else i once knew.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

a classic , truly abyzmul comment. having said that, i agree with you.
    but, things can change . tebow won't sabotage sanchez. sanchez may do that himself.:sad:

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who would that be? Certainly not Mark sanchez who played behind a medicore at best OL, ok run game and mediocre D.

6. TheGreenCantona

I doing it but i really Hope sanchez Will turn the corner this season. What I do know is that I would not build the team in the manner Rex, tanny are doing. It is one thing to go wrong on your franchise 5th pick qb, but to then go completely off the rails to panic compensate is not something that impreses me.

I do however think that jets will beginning 8-9-10 games this season, and whatever I think, it will be an interesting season. Hard not to be carried away by tebowmania, by far the strongest force I have come across in sports in some 30 years of watching. May I add not from a skill point of view where Jordan, maradona, etc dwarf him.

7. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

He was referring to Mark's two other seasons.

There was nothing mediocre about our defense in 2011. Depending on what numbers or metrics matter more to you, the Jets defense ranked somewhere between 2nd and 6th last season.

The reason the points allowed were high is because the weight of three and outs and turnovers from the offense. The defense faced the 21st ranked starting field position, and tied for the most total drives faced in the league.

The Jets D was #2 in drive success rate, how often the D prevented a team from getting a first down or score per series. 61.7% success rate against was 2nd best only to SF who had 61.5%.

The offense was that bad last year.

8. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

How, exactly, is an OL that has three Pro Bowlers on it "mediocre at best", and how is a D that's ranked 5th in the league also considered "mediocre"?

Anytime you wanna swap 2009-2011 OLs with the Bills, we're up for it. We'll even take Wayne Hunter. The same with the Jets and Bills Ds over that period.

You are as stuck on Sanchez as the Tebowmaniacs are stuck on Timmy.

9. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

As long as our offense isn't dreadful.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

11. catsigater

catsigater New Member

They didn't serve weak sauce on the Denver board.

Just like here there were a few rabid partisans on either side of the issue who weren't capable of looking at Tebow objectively. Most of those who could recognized Tebow as an amazing player who had some serious flaws he needed to overcome if he wanted to be taken seriously as a #1 QB.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

1st, 3rd and 5th over the last three years does not make a mediocre defense..now do you want to see where Sanchez ranked over those same three years?

13. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I'll repost this here, feel free to tell me how it's manipulated:

Mark Sanchez entered his third year in 2011 with 38 career starts under his belt. He started 16 games, here were his statistics (all include rushing and passing):

3577 Yards
    32 tds
    26 turnovers

Not bad. Mark progressed last year despite what a lot of the New York media has had to say. His total number of TDs was very nice, but the turnovers (especially the fumbles) were still way too high.

Tim Tebow in his short career has started 16 games. Here are his stats:

3757 yards
    26 tds
    16 turnovers

The two quarterbacks are comparable despite Sanchez having 38 more starts, and a better supporting cast on offense. Tebow generated about 200 yards more than Sanchez did. He had 6 less TDs with 10 less turnovers.

Quite simply, Tebow generated more offense than Sanchez does. He turns the ball over less, even if Sanchez has a few more TDs. Furthermore, Tebow fits the ground and pound strategy that Rex Ryan likes so much that keeps the defense fresh. All of this with Tebow only have starting 16 games. How much better would he be with 38 starts under his belt like Mark had going into last season?

The two quarterbacks are statistically comparable, Tebow has more room for improvement being that he's only started 16 games, and Tebow brings more intangibles to the table. If contracts weren't an issue, Tebow should start.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Our D was mediocre in 2011, I don't care what the #s say, we all watched every snap to know better. Our O wasn't very good but we failed last season b/c the D wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous 2 years.

In 2010 it was good, not great

In 2009 it was great by the rankings but again failed far too often in big spots.

Your first mistake is citing pro bowlers b/c that is all based on reputation. Mangold is the best C in the game BUT he missed multiple games and was not healthy excpet for a few games to start the year. Brick had a terrible year but made it on reputation, Moore has been close to a PBer the previous few years and made it as an alterante. Our OL STUNK last year.

Our D may have been ranked 5th in yards but it wasn't anywhere near as good as that ranking. Remember, we had a lot of O/STs TDs allowed which keeps a D off the field and keeps the opportunity for yards down. This D killed us against Oka and NE twice, it played great for 55 mins against den but allowed a non passig QB to go 95 yds in the final minutes, they allowed a 99 yd TD to change momentum against the Giants and a ridiculously long drive against Miami to change that game.

The D cost us more than the O in 2011

I do like Sanchez, he has done far more good than bad for us, he struggled late in '11 but he wasn't the main reason we lost the season.

Do those rankings reflect blowing the Miami game in '09? the jax game, the Atl game, getting shred by Manning in the title game? In '10 blowing the Hou game, Cle game, being humiliated by NE, getting runa ll over in the title game? last year the Oak game, both NE games, the Tebow drive, 99 yd TD and the Matt Moore drive?

15. tubby

tubby Active Member

double post

16. tubby

tubby Active Member

Except that Tebow completes half of his passes

17. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

Thanks abyzmul.

I spent many years lurking on this board due to my unhappiness with ISPs before I finally joined. Over that time there have been hundreds if not thousands of heated discussions regarding the Jets. But not till this past week did I ever see what could be described as an Us versus Them situation. Posters would have core opinions but could have their minds changed from time to time. Two posters could agree on one thing and not agree on another.

New members would benefit themselves by reading some older topics to see what has happened from the fans viewpoint of Jets history. The NFL sites, stats sites etc. don't paint the entire picture.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know he's an amazing football player, I just don't see him ever fitting the mold of QB. He could end up in the HOF as a TE or fullback, easily, adding his ability to serve as a very effective backup QB.

My biggest fear upon hearing that Tebow was being offered for trade was that he'd go to the Patriots and they'd do their thing and use him to the best of his ability. That is not including the starting QB position. They would have made him a deadly weapon.

I want the Jets to do that, which is why I am not against this trade. But the idea of him being a starting quarterback for the Jets just seems ludicrous because he was no more clutch that Sanchez was in some critical playoff wins 2 years previous.

I want to see them use Tebow to the best of his ability. An that's nowhere near under center.

19. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

less than half of his passes. also the other poster forgot that sanchez only spent one year in college vs tebow, 4 years at florida

20. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

After a few minutes on google, I could probably post a dozen more but don't want to waste anymore time on it.

Brian Dawkins
    ‏ @BrianDawkins
    Follow
    @TimTebow, I wanna thank u, 4 wht u helped us do last year. On the field & off! I have NO doubt that u will B a blessing 4 the Jets!
    https://twitter.com/#!/BrianDawkins/statuses/182516616163106816

Miller said that Denver quarterback Tim Tebow can lift more and weighs more than him. But he swears he can outrun Tebow.

Miller did say a lot of nice things about Tebow. “I love him to death,” Miller said. “He’s the most consistent person I know.”

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/02/01/von-miller-praised-tim-tebow-and-says-hes-seen-enough-of-pats/

Denver's most discussed player, receiving a lot of praise from the Broncos centerpiece..

"I said before, I trust him. I trust him with everything," teammate Von Miller said. "No matter how many interceptions he throws, no matter how many touchdowns he scores, that's Tim Tebow and I'm going to ride with him to the end. I hope he shut up a whole bunch of critics today."

Eric Decker
    Would you rather have better stats with Kyle Orton as QB or have a better team record with Tim Tebow as the QB? If you were being criticized as much as Tim Tebow how would you handle it? Do you prefer being the

Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker makes a 56-yard touchdown catch during the fourth quarter against the Kansas City Chiefs. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)
    underdog?
    ---Cameron Powers, Los Angeles
    Eric: My belief when it comes down to it, it's all about wins and losses. There's no better feeling after a win - and consecutive wins - than to have people thinking about the playoffs. I'd definitely take team records over individual records.
    For Tim, it's a lot of pressure for him. But he's a fan guy no matter if he's starting or not starting. He's fine if there's attention or not. He knows who he is, he knows his identity. He works hard either way.

Read more: Eric Decker: Broncos wide receiver catching on with Tim Tebow, Denver fans - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/fanmail/ci_19402279#ixzz1qLcIEH9c
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Brady Quinn
    “The comments attributed to me in a recent magazine article are in NO WAY reflective of my opinion of Tim and the Broncos,” Quinn wrote. “Tim deserves a lot of credit for our success and I’m happy for him and what he accomplished. Most importantly, he is a great teammate.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...pointed-with-completely-inaccurate-portrayal/

Champ Bailey
    “He’s proven he can win some tough games. Now it’s just being consistent. One thing about him, he’s going to work at it. And I’m behind him 100 percent.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-tebow-has-to-learn-to-throw-from-the-pocket/

"It always amazes me. You never know what you're going to get with Tim. He always has the faith."
    ---Demaryius Thomas, Broncos wide receiver

Read more: Champ Bailey, Tim Tebow talk about believing in Broncos to win - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19526344#ixzz1qLaf7Nes

#20 CowboysFan, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012