Am I crazy for hating Mingo?...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Apr 15, 2013.

?

How would you feel about Mingo taken at 9?

1. Would love Mingo at 9

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Would hate Mingo at 9

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Wouldn't mind Mingo at 9

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. laxin

laxin Active Member

So there's a lot of Buzz going around recently about the Jets and Mingo. Today there was a report that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo. I also read that Gil Brand thinks Mingo is the pick at 9... Obviously a lot of hypothetical stuff, but its picking up steam.

Personally? I would hate the pick.

Now people will say that there is a tale of two tapes between his 2011 and 2012 tapes due to the fact that he was asked to contain this year. I understand that, but to a certain degree. Its not like he still wasnt asked to attack the QB. Maybe 50% of the time he was asked to contain, and there was still a large percentage of snaps where he was "unleashed".

I went back and watched 3 games of 2011 (and plan to watch more), and he had 5 sacks in them. 2 sacks against Auburn were where he was left unassigned and had a free lane at the QB- completely untouched. He had 2 vs Miss st. and they were against a freshman tackle. From what Ive seen, the majority of his successful rushes were largely due to beating the tackle with his speed. When a tackle got his hands on him, he was mostly shut down. I also seriously question his ability to hold up against the run. His frame is very slight and who knows if he can successfully add weight. We all know of a passrusher drafted at 9 who had trouble with this and it led to being cut by 2 teams. I will say this though, he is extremely athletic and has that "bend" that you look for in a passrusher. It shows up on tape and it is definitely a positive.

He doesnt seem very strong at the point of attack, and even when rushing the passer, he has trouble converting speed into power. He clearly lacks strength in his upper body and it shows here. His hands arent as powerful as they should/could be because of his lack of upper body strength. I also see a player that isnt a consistent tackler- numerous times he lunged at runners with his arms and missed.

These flags are all things that show up on tape in both 2011 and 2012. Just because his assignment was changed for a percentage of the snaps, doesnt mean that these flags arent still apparent.

He clearly has a ton of upside simply due to his athletic ability. He also has an extremely low floor IMO, and probably one too low for my liking. At the 9th overall pick on a team that absolutely can NOT miss on a player, especially another passrusher, I would be pretty upset if this was the pick. If he was the pick, I would somehow manage to get behind the pick simply because I would want him to succeed as a Jet, but initially I would not be happy about it.

Thoughts?

2. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Not at all, I'm an LSU fan and its painfully obvious his play fell off. Especially after Mike Brockers left following 2011

IMO he is this years Bruce Irvin, minus the character concerns.

I dont think he is a bad guy, but I think he needs a lot of coaching. He isnt that big which is a concern and I echo what your saying about how the Jets need a pick who absolutely will not bust

3. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

If we pick Mingo, I will lose all of the faith I've slowly been putting into Idzik over the last few months.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I really don't think it matters one bit who Rex is smitten with..I also wouldn't be surprised if our first pick isn't on offense where it should be..I would like to hear who Idzik is smitten with.

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I might consider Mingo with our 2nd rounder (#39 overall).

6. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

As bad as we've been at drafting, the one area where we seem to be somewhat decent at picking up seems to be the DL, so if they pick him, I wouldn't write him off immediately.

Saying that, there are others that I would rather have than him, but those guys could be gone by the time we pick.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You're definitely not crazy. He has a ton of red flags, as we've documented on this board all winter/spring.

But considering all the other OLBs in this draft, and how underwhelming all of them are (besides Jordan), it's hard to say Mingo is significantly worse than Jones or Ansah or someone else at 3-4 OLB.

Mingo does have elite athleticism for the OLB spot, and I could see him being very effective under Rex's tutelage. That said, he's a very high risk pick for 9, and one I'm certainly not in love with.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets have had a history of reaching for players, hence the Mingo projections. That said, he's not a first rounder. I would lose a lot of faith in the Jets organization if they were to draft an OLB project with the 9.

9. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Rex is blowing smoke.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Don't get how anybody can like Mingo as a top pick. The more positive reports I'm reading about this guy the more confused I'm getting. All the positive vibes I've built from Idzik's moves so far just get flushed away with Mingo at #9.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

In this draft we need football players, not projects. Give me Cooper/Warmack + Jarvis Jones... guys that have produced consistently on the field at the collegiate level.

12. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

No, but I think all this Dion Jordan love is a little crazy.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I really hope they don't draft him. Ansah at #9 and if the Revis trade goes through, Warmack with the #13.

14. Put me down as someone who likes Mingo. Now there was a time I did not but I went back & watched tape.

As of right now..he isn't a complete prospect. But what he CAN do right off the bat is speed rush.People forget that the most important aspect for a pass rusher in Rex's scheme is closing speed. If you have it he will get you free looks at the QB.This gets further exemplified when you look at who the Jets have up front on the DL. If even one of those guys upfront gets a double team..that could potentially open a free lane for Mingo to dart through.This is the same reason why the jets liked Bruce Irving last draft.

As for the run defense lets bare in mind a few things

1. Mingo projects as a weakside defender thus limiting the number of times he may have to take on multiple blockers

2. He has the long arms & length to LEARN the proper way to set the edge. He also has the frame to add more weight. You can teach strength..you can't teach frame or speed for that matter.

3. The Jets have plenty of "Run first" guys to offset more of an athletic weakside guy. In fact..an athlete for their front 7 is arguably their biggest need.

What baffles me is everybody is complaining about Mingo's run defending yet no one seems to see an issue w/ the fact that Jarvis Jones doesn't project as a 3 down player in Rex's scheme. Are people really being THAT fooled by Jone's college production? Not me.

15. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Yeah I personally like Mingo. I feel like people that bash on him don't really watch the tape and just look at his stats. Also something that I really like is I heard he is a great guy and has a true passion for football. That makes me believe he will do everything necessary to better himself. Also Mingo with a defense guru like Rex Ryan is a totally different Mingo then someone with a shitty d coordinator

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I think Rex will put him in better places to succeed than LSU did. And I have doubts about every pass rusher after Jordan. You can make a case for me that Mingo is the 2nd best OLB prospect for the Jets in this draft, and I could buy it. I wouldn't love him at 9, but if Mingo works out, he's exactly what we've been looking for. Same with Jarvis, but with Jarvis, you have a lack of size AND athleticism.

17. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Mingo would be a good pick at 9. A superb athlete with size, as well as room to grow. His first step is insanely fast, and he has good balance unlike Maybin who slipped all over the place. Like most players in the NFL, he can easily get stronger as the years go on. It all depends on his motivation. And in a pass-oriented NFL, I sure as hell would rather have a guy with the size and speed of Mingo covering tight ends rather than Jarvis Jones or even Ansah.

18. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

facepalm. The last 2 first round picks that we took have been "projects". Wilkerson and Coples. Look at how that's turned out. Wilkerson has gotten stronger each year to match his quickness, and he's probably our best player on defense now that Revis is likely gone. College production never translates 1 to 1 in the NFL because the majority of college players are undersized and/or unathletic when compared to NFL players. I think Tebow can attest to that. Mingo has the size and athleticism to play well in the NFL. And btw, Mingo produced last year. He had one of the highest amount of QB hurries in the SEC.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

After all of the Mingo talk, I went back and watched about 7 of his games, 3 from 2011 and 4 from 2012. If anything it cemented my view even further. I can see the tremendous upside and I honestly do love his bend and athleticism, but they are offset by quite a number of red flags.

I hate to be cliche and bring up the same old comparison, but Aaron Maybin was an undersized, extremely athletic yet raw 4-3 DE for Penn state, and when he came out he could certainly speed rush. Im not saying they are the same player, but there's certainly more to the game, and more to drafting a 9th overall pick than him being able to speed rush. Maybin was able to speed rush and he was cut...

For someone that needs to-

a) Gain weight and fill in his frame
    b) Gain strength in his upper body and learn to convert his speed into power
    c) Learn proper technique on how to set the edge
    d) Learn how to drop back in coverage

... I have a hard time backing a top 10 selection. If we were to trade back into the late teens/early 20's, I could definitely be okay with the pick.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Watching some more film closely of Mingo of now to get a more firm opinion.

The more I watch, the more I think he could be very good in Rex's scheme.

His speed is pretty evident on the field at getting back into plays or getting into the backfield. But what I like almost as much is his ability to use his hands to not get swallowed by the blocker. He can stay off the blocker so he can make plays in pursuit if need be. His speed and length in Rex's defense with Coples and Wilkerson in front would really make a difference.

He's much riskier though. I'm not convinced he can set the edge. He's physical, so if he hits the weight room and gets stronger, I definitely think he can be a star in this defense.

He's the closest thing to John Abraham in this draft, except 10 pounds lighter. He's a mix of Maybin and Abraham. Is that a problem? DJ Fluker had more success against him than Jake Matthews did. Then again, Abraham had games where he did nothing either, but when he'd flash and make a big play, it would be a gamebreaking play. That's what this team is missing on offense and defense, gamebreakers.

If the Jets think Mingo can be that elite pass rusher in this scheme, I don't hate the pick nearly as much as I would have a few weeks ago. But there's more risk there than I'd like in a top 10 pick for sure.

It's really going to end up being a question of high risk/high reward (OLB, WR), taking an elite prospect at a less valuable position (OG), reaching for need (QB) or somewhere in between all that (S).

Mingo could be exactly what this defense needs. It's a risk to take him at 9, but Rex would love him.

#20 Jetfanmack, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013