All those predicting a jets loss if sanchez has to carry us...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Jan 15, 2010.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

will be in for a rude awakening. Although we will live and die by our ground & pound formula, i am extremely confident in sanchez should we have to abandon the ground and strike through the air. Although sanchez proved to the world last week (and over this last month really) that he is more than capable of playing well in cold weather, he gets to play in ideal conditions this sunday.

Sanchez has shown to us over the course of the season that he is capable of throwing a gem or getting knocked out in the first. Yet we all could agree that he's seemingly overcome the rookie "learning curve." Lately, he's protected the ball & when he has let it loose, the ball has been on a rope & placed where only his reciever can catch it. The two drops by braylon in the endzone were probably as perfectly placed as possible. The drop by keller over the middle was tightly placed out of the reach of the mlb and hit the TE right between the numbers. Same thing with the cotchery sideline throws. It seems to me that sanchez has figured it out & it couldnt have come at a more oppurtune time.

Sunny California Skies- 1 p.m. start-, 9 men stacked in the box to stop the run- a likely rusty chargers defense- and three viable passing threats at his disposal, Mark Sanchez is more than capable of carrying us to the Championship game. 18-26 220 1-0

With all that said- Heres to shonn greene and thomas jones running for 300 yards and making this a moot point! Go jets

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would love to have Sanchez light it up through the air, but I don't see it happening because we will be so dominant in the running game.

3. FuchsiaSocks19

FuchsiaSocks19 New Member

As long as he manages the game and somebody catches a deep ball or two, we have a legitimate shot.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets are going to win this game and may well dominate it. I also think that if Sanchez has to carry us we'll lose handily.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I have very mixed feelings about all of this. Part of me thinks he's on the verge of having a big passing day. Part of me also thinks he's still much more likely to throw 4 picks than he is 4 touchdown passes. ALL of me hopes we dominate in the running game and never have to find out. :wink:

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'm not really worried about Sanchez. He was ON last week. I guess it depends on Schotty putting him in good positions and the OL giving him plenty of time.

7. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

hahaha i love this modest cockiness. love it!

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

sanchez has grown up and is finally getting how to read and react to the different looks defenders give him. i thought it was really telling when rex was talking about the game last week in his post game. he said that the time out they took in the third or fourth quarter got sanchez really heated and he came over to the sidelines yelling that he knew what the coverage was and they didn't need to bail him out. now of course rex makes it funny by saying that he thought he about telling sanchez that it was about time, but the point is that something has clicked for sanchez and he is seeing the game like a professional qb needs to see it.

if sanchez can make it through this game with 1 int or less i really like the jets chances, but we have to be aware that even though we have seen him mature the last few weeks he is still going to throw some picks. hopefully he can pick his spots now instead of forcing the ball when it is not needed.

#8 ukilledkenny, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I think he can Easily throw for 250-300 3 TD's...

This is not Mark Sanchez from Week 4.

He'll be 2 games outside his rookie season.

Watching last weeks game said as much about him, as it did about the growth of Schottenheimer. In stride, on target, no mistakes...In cold windy weather.....

This guy can chuck it around...given the right circumstances.

Which just may present themselves Sunday.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would we ask Sanchez to try to light it up against a team we should be able to run all day against? What's the benefit vs risk ratio in that?

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Bingo.

To me, it's not dependent upon how much Sanchez has to do; rather, if he's asked to do a lot, then make damn sure you (Schotty) put him in situations and positions that will allow him to flourish: utilize play-action a lot, call pass-plays where the WRs routes are spaced out, don't force him to take too many 7-step drops and read the D all game long.

If Schotty's gameplan becomes too complex and asks Sanchez to accomplish the complicated stuff that veterans accomplish, then we're fucked.

12. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Cause as soon as BE or JCo grab a ball in stride for a 60 yd strike - TD or not - it will help TJ & SG have a lot more holes to run through. A couple of 20+ passes on one drive will take the Chargers completely out of their defensive strategies.

13. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Also - we need 1 completion for 15 yards from Brad Smith. If they can get that on the first series - it will do wonders when BS comes in the game.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree i'd rather not have Sanchez play in a crazy up-tempo game ala Cardinals Packers, more opportune times for mistakes, GROUND AND POUND with Greene and TJ, or TJ and Greene, whoever steps up from those 2, I think TJ can have a great game against these guys, but if it came down to it, Sanchez can have a huge game, the potential is there, a couple bombs, some solid slant passes and Sanchez could wind up with 250 yards Passing and some TDs

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

No doubt, they'll be playing run all the way. And I kinda agree -- deep pass attempts won't be enough to loosen SD's Defense for the run game; even if we attempt deep passes, that will only create space temporarily. I think they'd keep stacking the box until we show them that those deeper passes can be completed.

16. Hobbes3259

We wouldn't.

But two big catches, (in place of Braylon Drops) puts him right there.

On 60 yard TD, plus 14 of 17...puts him at 250 and 2 or three TD's.

Rex has made that very point several times.

17. Hobbes3259

Right. I see your logic as backwards. They'll keep stacking the box...and we'l hit two long gainers.Otherwise, we'll continue to grind out 4+ a carry.

18. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I think Mark can have a good game, but 3 TD passes? I don't think he's thrown for 3 TD passes in any game this season, there's very little chance he does it this week.

19. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

i didnt imply that the ideal route would be to go through sanchez.. all i was suggesting was if worse comes to worse we should all be confident in the sanchize's abilities

20. BookEndTackles 72&79

Ease up folks. I give the OC and HC credit for putting him in better situations to succeed. If our running game is shut down we are sunk. He hasn't really HAD to throw much in the last few weeks and we have been in very few passing situations and have avoided the 3rd and longs for the most part. The key the last few weeks is that he is throwing in situations where the defense is not sitting back and waiting for the pass. 3rd and longs and situations where we HAVE to throw will be death. He is also gonna have to make a play or two with his feet to keep a drive alive as well.