ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0726200..._minus_curtis_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm?page=0

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Great news!

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

suweeeet :)
    cant wait to see him in camp, competing for the starting job

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's nice to never have to worry about holdouts with this FO, but hopefully they aren't throwing too much money at him.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I believe that Tannenbaum was quoted as saying that Revis would make more than the guy drafted after him, but less than the guy drafted ahead of him.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Right, I mean, there's a little wiggle room, but his money is pretty firm. Somewhere else they mentioned that the sticking point is years: Jets want 6, he wants 5. Last year Bunkley, selected 14th, got a six year deal, but this year Timmons, selected 15th, got a five year deal, so it's a little tricky.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm never all that worried. We always seem to get things done. Good news anyway. We want Revis to be around from day one, to make sure he learns what he needs to, so we don't have to watch Miller get burned every other play.

8. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Sweet. I can't wait for FOOTBALL!!!!

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Per the papers this morning, it's still not a done deal. Looks like the 5 or 6 year term remains the sticking point.

10. DaBallhawk

this is so retarded. rookie 1st round picks usually ask for new contracts by their 3rd or 4th season so who cares? sign the 6 year deal and you will get even more money. we all know you are not gonna be here for 6 years without a) getting cut or b) asking for an extension :rolleyes:

11. akibud

akibud Active Member

I don't blame the player.. Once they sign a contract, (ala Pete Kendall) they are at the mercy of the team. Revis could come in a be lights out for the first 3 yrs. There would be no obligation from the team to reward him early on a six yr deal. But if he signs only for 5 yrs.. he is a whole yr closer to free agency and the mega deal, and he also gives himself a shot at signing maybe 1 extra deal at the end of his career. It's just business, nothing personal. I'm with the player on this one!

12. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

"We all know" is not legally binding...a contract is. And like QBCo83 said, unless you want a Kendall-like situation down the road, the legally binding contract should be agreed to by all parties. Man, this agent is a douchebag. Anyway, after paying two top picks for Revis, I want him for six years. If he really is that good, then he'll get an extension after 4 or 5 years like everyone else that deserves it.

13. DaBallhawk

when was the last time a rookie 1st round pick signed a 6 year deal without asking for a new contract after 3-4 seasons? just check out the 01 draft class. 90% of the players have already signed 2 or 3 big contracts.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I mostly agree with this. It's not like he came cheap to us. However, that's not the player's fault, so the kid has a point. If he is really that talented, he's going to have a right to more cash down the road.

That said, I'd probably give him his 5 years. There's no guarantee he'll be a shut down corner, so we may want to be rid of him in 5 years. It works both ways.

15. brothermoose

Yeah, there's always that risk with contracts. It really just comes down to player vs. team perspective. I just wonder how much of this is Revis and how much is Kendall's douchebag agent, who I'd probably want if I was a player. From a team perspective, considering his cost to us, I want six. Isn't there some kind of incentive contract we can come up with for the last year or two that mentions pro bowls or performance bonuses that can escalate his salary by millions? I know that after five years, he just wants to have the security of a huge contract and mega bonus money like clements, but some form of incentive based escalation might just be a good compromise.

16. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

It will probably be a 6 year deal with some sort of player option to get it to be reduced to a 5 year deal based off of reaching some performance goals. It's a compromise that more and more teams are using to get there player into camp asap.

17. brothermoose

I think that's a great compromise. It basically says that if we get our money's worth out of him in five years, he gets to get his PAID after that time. Git 'er done Tangini.

18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

So I take it Revis has not signed yet and is our first holdout in 10 years?

19. DaBallhawk

alright, can we get his ass in here already? offer him a 5 year deal and lets move on.

12th pick: Lynch - 5yrs/18.9 million/10.2 million guaranteed
    13th pick: Carriker - 5yrs/14.5 million/9.4 million guaranteed
    14th pick: Revis ?
    15th pick: Timmons - 5yrs/12 million/8.0 million guaranteed

20. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

My guess:

14th pick: Revis - 5yrs/13.2 million/8.7 million garaunteed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.