All Eyes on Woody now...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ok, the race to the bottom is over. We're not in the lottery for the top 3 picks. Get over it. We got more important issues to deal with. Our biggest concern going forward isn't how many games we win or lose. Not sure if it ever was..

Our biggest concern is how Woody deals with this trainwreck of a franchise between now and draft day. How Woody restructures the FO is a much bigger concern than where we draft. Why? Because whomever the GM is will be doing the talent evaluations and the drafting probably with recommendations from whomever the HC is.

If Woody maintains the status quo, we go into 2015 with the same talent evaluators that got us where we are today. Not sure how many of you are good with that but I'm not. If Woody blows it up, he'll have to have both a GM and a HC in place well before draft day which means he'll have to move fast. Lets not even bring up a total revamping of the scouting dept.

Time for Woody Johnson to make the kind of decision that faced Leon Hess back in the mid 90's. He either makes the wholesale changes needed to not only set the franchise in the right direction, he also has to reestablish credibility in the Jets brand or he doesn't. God help us if he doesn't.

The one thing Woody Johnson can't afford to do is stand pat. If he had more to go on like say, back to back 8-8's, he could make that case to the fanbase. The trending unfortnately has been down now for several years. Not saying that Woody has to kowtow to the fans, but he has to do something to reestablish confidence in the product on the field. Either that or deal with the ever expanding swaths of empty seats at MetLife stadium.

Honestly, I wouldn't wanna be Woody these days. He's between the proverbial rock and hard place.

#1 Cman68, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I doubt he does it. Something tells me he doesn't have the balls nor the foresight to make the broad, sweeping changes that need to be made. I'm thinking it's more a band-aid solution that he tries to sell his fanbase on. Band-aids break when dealing with a gaping wound which is the current state of the Jets.

I'm thinking something along the lines of he keeps Idzik and has Idzik work with him to hire a new HC. It won't be pretty, I can guarantee that much with those two mental midgets making the calls.

He probably won't even get rid of the loser scouting dept. headed by Bradway either.

I can already see it. Woody doesn't get it. This thing needs to be blown up. Whereas I think he'll piecemeal a bullshit plan together.

3. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

"If Woody maintains the status quo, we go into 2015 with the same talent evaluators that got us where we are today. Not sure how many of you are good with that but I'm not. If Woody blows it up, he'll have to have both a GM and a HC in place well before draft day which means he'll have to move fast. Lets not even bring up a total revamping of the scouting dept."

Isn't revamping the so-called "scouting department" the No. 1 priority?! My God, the whiffs they've had...Kyle Wilson, Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, Brian Winters, Kyle Wilson (so far from nice, he's listed twice), the entire WR class of 2014 to name but a few that immediately come to mind. Near whiffs include Milliner, Pryor, McDougle. I didn't expect all that much out of Idzik, cause he's all about not spending the Benjamins, but clearly the Jets Big Board is very suspect.

rammagen likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

People are going to be disappointed soon. Idzic may go but the in coming g.m. is going to be using the same scouting dept for the 2015 draft. The scouting dept will not see changes until may. Its just the way the cycle goes. Their contracts run may to may to cover the scouting season

5. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

This, drafting has been our #1 biggest issue. We are terrible at it.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that what Woody does in the next few months will dictate the future of this franchise. Let's remember, though, that change for the sake of change is not always good unless we get the right people in place. Remember when we fired Pete Carroll after one losing season (6–10) and brought in the future of our franchise: Rich Kotite?

Rex is absolutely gone and we simply don't know Idzik's future, but one thing is certain. Whatever changes Woody does make, he has to bring in the right people for the job. If he chooses wrong, the Jets potentially face a decade of irrelevance.

We could become the Pats of the 2000s, but we could also become the Bills.

Pocket Jet and rammagen like this.
  7. Cman68

Exactly why Woody has to make the right call on this. He has to take that leap of faith scary as it may be.

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

The little man with a hat glued to his head won't do sh!t.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

geomon and TNJet like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I disagree, fire all of them after the last game of the yr. Make the new hires. That gives the scouting department and new FO a few months + to evaluate players. Plus you still got the combine and senior bowl.

They have time. Woody is going to take a giant L also in regards to cash. Tough shit Woody. I would rather try this then to keep those dumbass scouts

10. FJF

There is no pool to hire from. All teams keep there scouting dept from may to may. No team is going to let anyone out of their contracts to join another team. Thats part of the reason for the time frame of the contracts.

11. Cman68

Then with any luck 2015 is Bradway's last draft.

Jake, socaljetfan and ajax like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said Cman. Woody needs to recognize the urgency for a major change in the organization, to include as a minimum:
    a- A wholesale change to the leadership responsible for the management of all matters associated with talent evaluation and the draft
    b- A savvy new HC and staff that molds and tweaks the game plan to the players strength and makes them play to their max capability....AND NOT a HC and staff, no matter how good, that attempts to mold the players to the coaching strategy forcing them to perform below their max capability by playing them out of their natural position.
    c- A long term sustainable vision of success...no short term bandaids
    d- A financial plan that prevents disasters in the future but that makes us at least competitive in the present
    e- Recognition that Idzik might be the biggest stumbling block to getting a top HC, so you either nuture his responsibilities to match the new org or get a new GM

Cman68, Clark Gaines and Axel3419 like this.
  13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

If I'm Owner (Woody) I give Idzik one more year. Fix the team or you are fired. You have plenty of money to spend you have a nice high top 10 draft pick, let's go.

If I am GM (Idzik) I go to church and thank God for a second chance. I also make a pact with God that I will fix the Jets. 1) I fire Rex ('09 '10 memories are not forgotten on you. You did things that are admired especially notably the two AFC Championship game appearances from Wild Card and of course beating New England in New England being the most admirable). Too many mistake though. Close games that came down to pour judgment, game management, use of personnel, clock, etc. etc. etc. Good luck in your future endeavors. 2) Fore gone conclusion, I fire MM, 'Peace brotha'.

Offensive Strategy: Game management. Down and distance. Protect the football. Control clock, control Time of Possession. Run the football, PA pass. I do not have Geno or any other Rookie QB throwing 30+ times a game. It's heavy run attack with calculated deep PA bombs. Every other pass is 3 step drop picks, slants, screens, outs and ups.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I can feel it already.
    Clean but unspectacular day by Geno and the D line ripping a Brady a new one. Big win against the Pats.
    Follow up with beating a now dead and buried Miami team and Geno plays well.

We are then treated to Woody hugging Rex in the locker room and announcing to the cheering players that like the terminator he'll be back.
    Go into the off season with a pick around 8.

I know I am dreaming, but this is a fucking nightmare and somehow feels possible in "Jets World".

Clark Gaines likes this.
  15. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

This is actually the only thing that could make me think Rex might be back. That is pretty scary, but I would probably sign up for it. Beating the Pats brings me lasting joy.

If the Jets would just focus on winning the division we would (fans) actually have an awesome home game/ tailgate and probably be a very tough house to play in with our D.

16. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

8 is better than 18...If they could just avoid a whiff on Day fucking ONE, it would be a significant improvement.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Frankly, if you think about this stuff too much, it's very depressing.

There is no quick fix for this situation. Even a Johnson hater like me has to acknowledge that him selling the team could be no improvement. There are certainly a number of bad owners out there, and Johnson is not the only one.

And while I think Idzik should be fired, what confidence do I have that Johnson will get a better GM to replace him?

Same for HC, perhaps even more so. Who is going to want to become the HC for this team?

Scouts, the roster, it's all one big shit show.

Well, we're all Jet fans for our own reasons and have our own stories about our histories of being Jet fans. But you'd have to be out of your mind today to choose to become a Jet fan, and that is literally true. Psychotic.

FlaJet and JetsNation06 like this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we have had 40 odd years of it, what's another decade or two between friends?

I know which my money is on.

plus nothing is going to change for the Jets until we somehow fluke our way to a true franchise QB - nothing comes even close to having the same impact. and I have absolutely zero faith that this franchise will ever manage to do so - it is cursed in some way like the browns.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Damn, well perhaps the new GM can really alter the draft-board for the better and not let the scouts that are here now influence him too much...

20. FJF

That is a strong possibility. But to think there is going to be sweeping reform in 2 weeks is just not practical.