Alec Ogletree

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Feb 16, 2013.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Honestly think this guy might be one of the best athletes/players in the draft. I know he's an ILB but is there any chance he could convert to OLB? He's 6'3 235, could put on 15 lbs and be a solid 250. He seems to be a good pass rusher when he gets to and is just a crazy good athlete.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Too bad the guy can't stay out of trouble, as shown now by getting a DUI last weekend.

Te'O despite that circus AND Minter both jump him in the MLB/ILB boards IMO.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

To be honest that off the field stuff doesn't bother me unless it's a huge issue which it doesn't seem like it is in this case. Kids drink and drive all the time, doesn't make it right, but it's not the end of the world for him.

Regarding the Te'o thing, I'd only take Ogletree if we could use him at primarily OLB. This thread was to get a feel for if that could even be a possibility.

4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Ogletree will probably be the first ILB off the board. He's definitely best suited to play in a 43. I don't think it would do him justice to put him in the 46 or 34 fronts that Rex uses most often unless he were to maybe play strong safety (46). There are much better fits for our defense after Ogletree.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He's far too small to set the edge in the run game so would be a horrible fit in a 3 man front right now.

6. Gang Greener

Gang Greener Member

Ogletree actually played Safety his sophmore season. He's a hard hitter, very athletic, he put on some muscle and we had him play ILB.

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Between the drug suspension and now the dui, this kid is an idiot

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

DUI before the combine? Fuck this guy. No need to gamble on idiots getting their act together this early in the draft. If it was mid or late rounds, I'd be willing to overlook it. Pick #9 should be a 100% day 1 starter who won't be a mental case.

9. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

Rather than draft him at 9, i'd rather take wait and see if one of Minter, Te'o, or Ogletree is there in the second round.

9 is a bit of a reach for me, but any of those three are a steal in the second, and I expect one of them to be there. Unlikely that 3 MLBs will be gone 40 picks in when they are all really late first rounders in value and two of them have problems with them. (Minter being the clean one)

10. AJ Young

AJ Young New Member

From Down at the One:
    downattheone.com/NFL/NFL-Scouting-Combine-coverage-SEC-East-Preview

Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
    When Ogletree makes his trip to Indianapolis this week, it won't be to show scouts that he has the physical tools to perform at the next level; it'll be to endure a myriad of interviews with teams concerned about a string of off-field incidents that could jeopardise his draft status. He was suspended before he even played a game at Georgia after being arrested and charged with theft. This resulted in a suspension for the season opener but was later suspended four games during last season after he failed drug tests. Finally, this past weekend he was arrested and charged with DUI after speeding in the early hours. Really? You're on the cusp of the biggest job interview of your life and you're caught driving under the influence? I don’t even know where to begin.

In terms of Ogletree's on-field production, he initially started in Athens as a safety before moving to linebacker. He possesses phenomenal speed for his size, having the ability to cover sideline to sideline in a flash. Overall, he's likely an outside linebacker at the next level, most probably better suited to the 3-4. He's a bit raw for an inside linebacker as he sometimes struggles to diagnose the play and can sometimes be undisciplined in his assignments. By contrast, his freakish athleticism and top end speed would be better utilised coming off the edge as a pass rusher. If Ogletree's draft stock survives the red flags, he's likely a top fifteen talent; unfortunately it's becoming harder and harder to justify such a high pick for a somewhat volatile player off the field.