Alec Baldwin-On Set Accident

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Acad23, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

“A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza,” the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 44

Negligent homicide.

I feel bad for the dead woman's family.

Shit lie this should never happen on a film set.
    I think as the facts come forward it will reveal that protocols were not followed.

But still... you should never point and fire a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.

I wonder if Alec was joking around...

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Horrible story. Have to think the armorer is at fault. A live round should be nowhere near a firearm that's just being used as a prop.

I think I read that Baldwin was indeed joking around, incredibly stupid on his part if so. The first thing they tell you when you get a gun is to never ever jokingly point it at anyone even if you're positive it isn't loaded.

RochesterJet, IDFjet and Acad23 like this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I heard about this as well but that two bullets discharged.

Anyway, Brandon Lee all over again.

FJF likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the camera was rolling...
    Looks like the production was a clusterfuck...

Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ camera crew walked off the set in protest before the fatal shooting
    Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of “Rust” with a prop gun, a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints of long hours and pay, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

The camera crew showed up for work as expected at 6:30 a.m. Thursday and began gathering up their gear and personal belongings to leave, one knowledgeable crew member told the Los Angeles Times.

Labor trouble had been brewing for days on the dusty set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.

Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the production said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe.

The cinematographer who was accidentally killed, Halyna Hutchins, had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, the knowledgeable person said.

A member of the producer staff then ordered the union members to leave the set. She said if they didn’t leave, the producers would call security to remove them.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

There were two misfires on the prop gun on Saturday and one the previous week, the person said, adding “there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set.”

A representative for the production company did not immediately comment.

“The entire cast and crew has been absolutely devastated by today’s tragedy, and we send our deepest condolences to Halyna’s family and loved ones,” the spokesperson for Rust Movie Productions said in a statement Thursday.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

Baldwin, the film’s star who also served as a producer on the film, was apparently rehearsing a scene outside the church of the Bonzana Creek Ranch set, according to two knowledgeable people.

The scene involved a gun fight that began in the church, and then Baldwin’s character was supposed to back out of the church, according to production notes obtained by The Times. It was the 12th day of a 21-day shoot.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza Creek Ranch movie set, where filming was underway for the western “Rust,” after calls to 911 at 1:50 p.m. Baldwin was starring in the movie in addition to serving as one of the producers.

No charges have been filed, but the Sheriff’s Office said that “witnesses continue to be interviewed by detectives.”

Baldwin said Friday he’s “fully cooperating with the police investigation” into the incident.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours,” Baldwin wrote Friday in a series of tweets.

Production has been halted on the low-budget movie, which began filming this month.

In an email to its members, Local 44 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, a union that represents prop masters, said the shot that killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza on Thursday was “a live single round.”

“As many of us have already heard, there was an accidental weapons discharge on a production titled Rust being filmed in New Mexico,” said the North Hollywood-based local. “A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza. Both were rushed to the hospital,” the email said.

A source close to union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun being loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

Bonanza Creek Ranch has been a popular filming location for more than 60 years. The first movie to film there was “The Man From Laramie,” starring Jimmy Stewart. It also was the set for the classic “Blazing Saddles,” “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” and the popular TV show “Longmire.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme.../alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is absolutely gut renching tragic

I would like to get all the facts of the case before opinine about Baldwins behavior

Will there be a Robert Blake like Trial?

I hope not

#5 NYJetsO12, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I don’t know the details here… but he’s a bonafide asshole. I witnessed him tell a teenage tco years ago, that if he “tickets his car, he will break his fucking legs”. As he was double parked on newtown lane in east Hampton.

Savatage likes this.
  7. jetophile

^Definitely an asshole with no impulse control. It's pretty well documented.

Savatage and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That story reads like a murder whodunit. Ironically?

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Would make a good Columbo episode.

[​IMG]

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why the f*ck would anybody ever allow anything that remotely resembled a working firearm on a movie set?

It's not hard to use cinematics to duplicate anything a real gun can do. What's the point of having something that can actually kill people on the set?

11. jetophile

He was good in a few things, but he's a live wire. He is going to be financially ruined by this. I saw a photo of him bent in half sobbing in front of the police station. Knowing you killed someone is not a place you want to be, but papparazzi are scumbags. It made me feel dirty that I saw it.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The victims can get him two-fold, individually for firing the gun and as the producer of the movie who is essentially one of the people responsible for everything that occurs on set.

he fucked. Hope he finds a nice piece of swampland to hide out in for a month.

13. jetophile

^Here's the odd thing, though. Even before the Brandon Lee tragedy, I could think of probably 20 movies off the top of my head where there were gun fights and nothing happened. And also after. You would think in 2021 this is something that would never occur. Friggin' weird.

14. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

It's not difficult to differentiate between a blank and a live round. While it's easy to tell if there are rounds in a revolver's cylinder, it's tough to tell if they're blanks or live rounds unless you remove each one.

As noted above, you wonder what genius brought live rounds onto a film set. What could possibly go wrong? My bet is that some mope wanted to use the prop guns in off-hours for a little target shooting. Irresponsible as hell, and possibly reckless enough to justify a manslaughter charge.

The media is in a feeding frenzy over this story, so we can expect that much of what we read will be exaggerated or flat-out untrue.

BrowningNagle and abyzmul like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think the question is why live ammo is on set. Real guns are used for a few reasons.

Turns out the armorer on the film was an inexperienced 24 yr. old... :confused:

16. Br4d

There are no good reasons to use real guns on a movie set.

We get kids being shot by cops because the toy guns they use are too realistic to differentiate from the real thing. In that universe, which we inhabit, there are no good reasons to have anybody killed on a movie set by a real gun.

This is just common sense.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know why Alec is so upset.

It was clearly the gun's fault.

18. Br4d

Clearly it was. If the gun had not been on set nobody would have died that day.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They use real firearms for realism... and cost.
    Safety protocols were ignored to save money.

A gun didn't kill that woman... greed did.

There should never be live ammo on a movie set.
    I doubt a blank wad could cut through one person and injure another.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member