Abraham unhappy over stalled deal by By RANDY LANGE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Keeping It Real, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Keeping It Real

Keeping It Real New Member

Abraham unhappy over stalled deal

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

The stalled trade talks between the Jets and the Atlanta Falcons have left John Abraham, the focus of those talks, feeling he's being "treated like dirt" by the Jets, said a friend of the increasingly frustrated defensive end.

The friend said the Jets continue to tell Abraham what they want him to do to get the long-term deal he feels he deserves, then keep moving the bar.

Last year the message was to stay on the field for 16 games, have a great season and the sides might resume negotiations on a new contract.

He did that, then was told he would be franchise-tagged again, but that he could find a team interested in signing and trading for him.

Abraham found Atlanta, and that is creating new frustrations. He and agents Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa agreed on a new contract with Falcons general manager Rich McKay, and in his visit last week, he felt as if the Falcons players had already "adopted" him.

Fellow defensive end Patrick Kerney told him when the deal was completed, he'd recommend that Abraham, who wants to be a leader on his new team, be immediately added to the Falcons' veterans council.

Yet Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and McKay reached a stalemate over compensation, the Jets wanting the Falcons' 15th overall pick in the draft, the Falcons wanting to give up their second-rounder, 47th overall.

Agnone did not return messages Monday but he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday that Abraham is "not happy."

Agnone said there had been no new developments over the weekend, nor had there been contract talks with Seattle, which jumped into the fray by offering the Jets their 31st overall pick for Abraham.

Agnone also said Abraham is intent on suiting up for the Falcons.

The good thing about this three-way standoff is that although it is believed the Jets and Falcons haven't talked since Saturday, no one is walking away from the table.

"I know we're trying hard to satisfy all parties concerned," said Atlanta owner Arthur Blank.

It's possible the general managers have been told by their bosses, Blank and Jets owner Woody Johnson to keep the haggling out of the media and get this matter resolved quietly.

BRIEFS: Unrestricted free agent Jon Runyan, the Philadelphia right offensive tackle, is set to make the Jets his first visit tonight. ... Well-traveled wideout-punt returner Tim Dwight, last with New England, came to visit Monday. His agent, Jack Bechta, said Dwight "is very interested." But Dwight continued to Pittsburgh on his free-agency tour. ... Cornerback Kenny Wright (Jacksonville) also met with Jets officials. ... Defensive tackle Monsanto Pope (Denver), who visited the Jets last week, met with Buffalo officials Monday.

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

2. NYJetFan37

NYJetFan37 New Member

ROFL, Pay him how much money and we treat him like dirt?

I forgot, but who treated the organization like dirt when they refused to play in a playoff game because he was more worried about himself than the team?

3. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Everyone in the media seems to forget that we offered this guy a very nice contract offer, giving him the long term deal he so desperately covets, but he refused, believing he could do better on the open market. So now that decision has come home to roost.

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

It's Abe's own frigging fault, not the Jets. He was the one who jumped straight into their locker room and passed his loyalties over to Atlanta before anything was done.

I still don't understand why Atlanta won't just give us the 15th or at least give us something more than just a second. I mean, Culpepper was injured last year and disproved nothing while he played to show us that Moss wasn't the offense....yet he was earned for a 2nd rounder. There are no players available at 15 who would be more valuable than Abraham at this point. If they wan't to bring up the fact that we basically agreed to Seattle's 1st, they still have to realize that their 2nd=/=Seattle's 1st.

I mean, at the very least their 2nd this year and their 2nd next year should be necessary.

5. since83

since83 Member

And now Ellis has the long term contract. He gave NYJ's azz to kiss and it comes back to bite him. Someone should make him remember this.

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

how many times are we going to post this stuff over and over...someone revoke this guys right to post threads...

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Pretty expensive dirt. I hope this goes on all off-season, just to piss him off. Then trade him to Arizona.

8. Keeping It Real

Keeping It Real New Member

I think not:shit:

9. Italian Seafood

Haha, when Keeping It Real goes wrong!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

go ahead and look at how much attention your post got...noone is interested in what you post anymore because you post the same crap over and over...get a clue

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Damn I wish I could be disrespected to the tune of 8mil for one year by my employer..

12. duketogo

duketogo New Member

You and me both. Dealing Abraham to another day care centre seems like a better idea all the time.

13. Houston Jet

Houston Jet New Member

Still feel that Abe is a "ME FIRST" Player..I will NEVER forget when he held himself out of the Charger and Steeler Playoff games..Sorry, good player...but selfish. Now WE are in control. Eat that dirt Schmuck-O!

14. Italian Seafood

I had wanted to keep him based on his on-field performance over the years, but I'm getting real sick of this shit so I tend to agree with you now. It's out of hand.

Now if we can only find a way to get Larry Brown and Marbury off my back page every day we'll be in business.

15. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

We are mistreating him?? He is a freakin cry baby bitch. The falcons say he is worth so much by give him $$$$ but dont want the jets to get there fair value. SCREW ABE AND THE FALCONS!!!! I hope we can get this done the falcons and abe belong together!!!!

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

This year's second and 4th and next year's second and 5th for Abe and next year's 6th. Don't want to part with a 1st rounder fine, going to cost in you quanity of picks.

17. ACertainShade

ACertainShade Banned

I'd be pissed too if my employer was making me wait for my $13 million dollar check Oo

18. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

He's being treated like dirt by the Falcons, who don't think he's worth more than the 47th pick in the draft. If he thinks the Falcons like him so much, just make the Falcons give us our pick.

Let's adopt Randy Moss, D'Brick, Julius Peppers, Lavar Arrington, heck, anybody we feel like. Who cares if they're under contract or not even drafted yet? D'Brick is from LI, why should we waste a draft pick on a guy that we can just adopt? We can just make whatever team that drafts him give him to us for a 3rd rounder. The NY media and Abraham are just absolutely absurd. They sound like a bunch of women with no accountability.

19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

...Atlanta wants to give a guy "how much $$$" that didn't want to play in a playoff game....but he isn't worth a 1st...figure this out...

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

and who is DEMANDING to play in the city HE wants to and is DEMANDING the amount of money HE wants..

what a fucking idiot....