Abe to be taged, Penny, Martin to rework, Sowell, Kendall, Fabini to released!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gafher, Feb 17, 2006.

1. gafher

gafher New Member

The Jets have told the representatives for three-time Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham that they plan to place the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive season, someone with knowledge of the situation told The Star-Ledger last night.

Abraham, who had wanted a long-term deal but now simply wants out of New York, according to those close to him, will earn $8.3 million next season. Even though the Jets will tag Abraham, they may still try to trade him, with San Diego, Washington, Cleveland and Houston possible destinations.

Abraham, 27, had 10 1/2 sacks last season and played an entire 16-game schedule for the first time since the 2002 season. The Jets had said they would try to negotiate a long-term deal with Abraham if he stayed healthy.

Meanwhile, quarterback Chad Pennington, who has been asked to take an $8 million salary cut with the chance to recoup the money in incentives, is said to be willing to work with the club, but his agent, Tom Condon, is playing hardball.

Pennington, who is scheduled to make $9 million next season, will almost certainly accept some sort of restructuring.

Running back Curtis Martin, who turns 33 in May, has been receptive to reworking his contract and will remain with the team. He is scheduled to earn a base salary of $6.2 million next season.

Next week, the Jets are planning to release several veterans, including cornerback Ty Law, tackles Jason Fabini and Scott Gragg, guard Pete Kendall, fullback Jerald Sowell and quarterback Jay Fiedler.

In other developments, the Jets have fired vice president of operations Mike Kensil, who had been with the club for the past 29 years, and interviewed University of Miami tight ends coach Mario Cristobal for the same position. A former offensive line coach at Rutgers, Cristobal is the leading candidate for the job.

2. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

abraham is a goner to another team for a first rounder and more you can count on it.

3. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

Curtis is receptive to reworking his contract. That's good news. He continues to show why he is a true professional.

4. Ten

Ten Active Member

It will be sad to see Jerald Sowell go,he was one of the best full backs in the game and very underrated.He could be a good pick up for a team who is looking for a underneath guy.Looks like BJ Askew will finally get a shot,BJ has all the tools to be as dangerous and Sowell in the receiving game and can run it too.Let's hope is blocking is up to scratch.

Pete Kendall is still a decent player,I'd probably wanted to of kept him instead of Mawae.Either way we need a starting guard and a starting tackle this offseason.

5. gafher

gafher New Member

Sowell was unexpected. I think he is one of the best fullback in the league. But i believe he wants more money.

6. 7 to Shea

7 to Shea Member

I'd like to see the team keep Kendall as well. He's an experienced and very solid Offensive Lineman - not to mention he's versatile too.

I understand all the other moves. I will miss Sowell. He was a very good Jet.

7. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

Considering how much money he's made with the team, I would hope he would be.

8. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

Can you say "rebuilding?" I thought we would just be tweeking a bit, but a new coaching staff brings in unexpected moves.

Here's to looking to long-term improvement with this franchise !!!!

Expect the normal growing pains at first though!

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

okay...so which is it? Is he going to take the cut or not???

10. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

He's probably open to a pay cut, but tom condom can't lose face so he's outright rejected the deal. They'll revisit over the weekend and come to a deal that's worded so tom doesn't look like his client is getting a bad deal.

on another note, mawae was asked to take a pay cut and he asked to be released.

11. Murrell2878

Okay..that makes much more sense. in regards to Mawae, we have no backup to replace him. Something I've been screaming about the last 2 drafts. Now we will get screwed...unless we can get LeCharles Bentley (who I think is a Free Agent this year)

12. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

The only thing that upsets me with this is Sowell. I really think he is one of the most underrated players in the NFL, and one of the best at his position. He can't have that big of a contract, he must be looking for more money. I'll be sad to see him go.

13. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

But it may be time to cut the cord on Mawae. Yeah he's still a good center, but he's due 4.5M this year and is 35-36 yrs old. I know he's still a good center, but he hasn't be that great the last couple years, just mobile. We'll see how this plays out in the coming weeks.

14. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Pretty much everything that we had predicted is about to come true.

15. Murrell2878

you are absoulutely right. That's why I wanted us to draft a Center the last couple of years. It just sucks that we may lose him and as of right now have no viable replacement.

16. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Hello Greg Eslinger. Welcome to the New York Jets. :beer:

17. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Mawae always fooled me as a center. When he was out in LB land, Curtis was behind him for his 5/6 yards. He was the force that cleared the way for CM.

But for the past two years Mawae couldn't seem to generate enough push against the heavier, stronger or just big fat unmoveables on the D-line and it was just another dumb move by not looking to back him up earlier. Groom a younger guy with the fire a Rookie brings to find his place.

18. Murrell2878

I really like Eslinger too, but he may be a bit small...If Mangold falls to us in the 2nd or if can pick up a late 1st round pick we should grab him instead

EDIT - I really thought Mangold was bigger....He's only 6-4 290 Eslinger is 6-3 285

19. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I think Mangold will be gone in the latter part of the first round. He will be gone unless we trade way, way down.