Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sozopol, Oct 21, 2013.

1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I find these guys to be generally pretty knowledgeable, if a bit wedded to stats, but in their review of the Jets-Pats game, said:

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the thing about this off-season that was consistent was the way in which the media attempted to portray the Jets as dysfunctional at all levels and play down their chances.

Unfortunately I don't think you can look at the negative campaign and attitudes about the Jets as all one-sided, although it clearly was that this season.

The media almost always exaggerates the Jets chances in one direction or another in ways that make them almost a caricature of a professional football franchise.

This may be a marketing strategy gone awry on the Jets part but it is more likely a result of other agencies attempting to push the Jets off balance. I don't think any team in the NFL is less helped by the media than the Jets at this point and at least some of that has to do with their conjunction of interests with the Giants and the Patriots.

Just my opinion.

3. Satire?

Satire? Guest

schatz.......

lol

4. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I don't think he meant that as a shot at the team. Bottom line is the Jets were being made out to be a complete laughingstock of a team throughout the offseason. Schatz is pretty much saying that while we aren't great (which we aren't) we aren't worthy of ridicule either. We're a team on the upswing but there will still be plenty of ups and downs along the way.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

To tell the truth, I prefer it this way.

2011 (after back2back AFCCGs) we were ranked either #1 or in the top 5 to start the season. And it was all down hill from there. It sucked every week to see us drop drop drop.

I'd rather be ranked #32 by the 'experts' at ESPN and climb climb climb all season. Much more rewarding.

6. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I never understood the media thinking the Jets would be terrible this year. As I had to tell all my friends that were eating what the media was feeding them:

They were 6-10 last year. Since then they have improved at every position except for safety, replaced possibly the worst OC in the NFL with a proven commodity and got rid of the Tebow experiment. Why would anyone think we would get worse instead of better?

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

QFT

I think a lot people that follow the team more closely could see that. The typical jack-off Giants fans that I deal with I work on daily basis figured the Jets would be 0-16 this year. But anyone that knows anything about football would have know that even last year's team with MM at OC would have done no worse than 6-10 again.

I didn't know 6-10 was laughing stock. Its not great but that's not exactly bottom feeding as well, considering the amount of playoff appearances the Jets have since 1998.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Exactly. I think the last time we had back-to-back losing seasons was in mid-90s. I never expected that to change this season.

9. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I got tons of shit from a Facebook group that was filled with giants and dolphins fans. Left the group wish I was still there. Could go laugh in all their faces. Said Rex Ryan was a good coach and that the team wouldn't be the worst in the league. Funny how I'm right and now I can't gloat. Especially at the douche bag Giants fans who called the team Santonio Holmes included a bunch of convicts. Part of the reason why I can't stand the Giants. Gotta call the jets their little brother. It's not like they are the greatest franchise in history and now they suck ass. Dolphins too fuck em all.

Rant over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

10. Soul Rebel 212

Agree on the OC part and Tebow, and some positions, but coming into the season, we had a lot of question marks and not necessarily "improvements", so I could see why some media outlets would think we would stumble in '13. I didn't think we would be a bottom feeder and in the Clowney/Bridgewater sweepstakes, but I saw another 6-10 season, and at best, maybe 8-8..... a breakdown/rebuild year, if you will.

Would Sanchez improve?
    Would Geno start?
    Is Ivory ready to be a starting RB?
    WRs were suspect - Holmes' injury. Hill in his 2nd year. Is Kerley a reliable WR?
    Lost Keller and replaced him with an underachieving TE that had question marks.... should we have drafted Eifert?
    Was Richardson going to be a good DT in a 34 scheme or should we have drafted Star?
    How was Coples going to adjust to OLB?
    Revis is gone, who steps up?
    No pass rush from our LBs/ Is Davis ready to step in?
    OL- would our vets mesh with the new blood and youngsters?
    Is Rexy going to implode or is he going to rise and prove that he's more than a brilliant DC?

Lots of these have been answered, but it took to the midway point in the season to shed light on these issues. Much different view than back in July and August before the bullets started flying, IMO.

11. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

If we play our card right in the off season, this team can have one of the scariest offense and defense next year. Heck, if Holmes come back healthy this year I can see us giving a lot of teams problem. And I believe we will make the playoffs. If Holmes is back this week we will beat cincy. After that game teams are gonna take notice. We have a young QB with filthy accurate bazooka, a young WR corp that are just discovering that if they get often the ball will get to them on time, and a defense that can stand its own. We have all the recipe of a team ready to cause problem. NE better not think they have this division on lock anymore. The Jets are coming!