A TGG Good Sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Aug 23, 2021.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Before anyone jumps on me, this is not a troll post. I am simply making an observation.

Any regular here knows that there are several posters who did not want the Jets to select Zach Wilson. That's an reasonable and understandable view point.

During the practice tweets we heard the concerns from both the pro Wilson and anti Wilson camps. Then we had the preseason game against the Giants and while the play of Wilson was encouraging, there were several posters who reminded the forum that this was against bad second string Giants players. Fair enough.

The second preseason game against the Packers didn't elicit the same comments. Yes, Wilson was playing against the second string GB defense but you didn't see it pointed out as much. I think it was only brought up a few times as opposed to how it was brought up ad nauseam when it was the Giants.

Wilson is a rookie and I expect him to make many mistakes over the course of a season. But the fact that I didn't see much negative written about him from the Wilson skeptics is an encouraging sign. I was actually looking forward to some good constructive criticism but that contingent was silent as a church mouse. I respect a lot of those guys' opinions on this forum even if I don't agree with them or how hard they try to hammer their points home. But after the GB game is was crickets. That leads me to believe that maybe Zack is the guy he was made out to be. I find it encouraging. You?

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm interested in how he plays vs top defenses and how teams will adjust once there is some tape on our offense, but all signs are pointing in the right direction.

KY Jets Fan, Brook!, Cman68 and 6 others like this.
  3. bicketybam

Agree. What has impressed me is the intangibles and the things that aren't related to pure arm talent. He seems like he has a high QB IQ and that make me very optimistic.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think the biggest difference was the way he performed against Green Bay, not so much the stat line.

Watching the replays and breakdown of his throws silences anyone who is trying to criticize the fact that he was playing second stringers. While we all await the opportunity to watch him play against a starting NFL defense, it is hard to argue that he is not gifted watching him look off defenders and be able to identify coverages and change plays at the line. Hell, in one of the plays it was a designed run and he immediately noticed man to man coverage with the defender 10 yards off the line. He changed to a quick hit at the line that resulted in a 5+ yard gain. He did this in his second ever NFL game.

The most impressive was the first TD throw. He immediately looked for his first read. When his first read was covered, he quickly snapped his feet and head to his second read. He used his head to look off the linebacker, just enough to shift his feet, then proceeded to throw a back shoulder pass to avoid the TE getting leveled by the safety.

Passes like that are not something you can easily teach in football. Seeing him do that as a 22 year old rookie in his second ever game, is remarkable.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It might be that some can see that their comments might not age well or they are waiting for a better opportunity to critize. Even ardent Wilson hater Rich Cimini has been posting positive Wilson reviews without most of his normal hidden digs at Wilson. Crazy Cowherd even walked back his comments after the Giants game.

Some of the anti-Wilson people are quite aware how wrong they have been but that will not stop them for taking shots at him at every opportunity. Wait until he takes his first sack, first INT, first rookie moment and so on and they will come out screaming in their best Cowherd imitation that they warned us of this. It is a long long season and there will be many ups and downs. Likely more downs than ups. They key is to not overreact either way. Yes, we can optimistic and be excited but this year is a stepping stone to next. I just want to see him improve as the year goes on, stay healthy, look like he belongs and then hopefully watch him make a big jump next year. This year is about getting him reps next year is when we should be able to see what he is.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Falco21

Oh shit.

You said the word "Cimini". Ralebird incoming

Red Menace, cval and bicketybam like this.
  7. bicketybam

You make some good points but I believe the "anti Wilson" people are more pro ______ than anti-Wilson. So you might not hear a lot of naysaying until "their" guys play. But their posts detailing their concerns about Wilson's game translating to the pro game. I'd like to hear about that.

Maybe silence is golden?

#7 bicketybam, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The old saying, "Don't poke the bear" comes to mind.

bicketybam and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I will say, It still needs to be proven over the long-haul. The regular season Is also a much harder mountain to climb, especially for a rookie, with an extended season to boot.

All of that Is true.

However. I am surprised with the poise of this kid. I am surprised how good that offense looked at times, especially against GB. It looked like an actual modern day offense that was ran by a promising rookie QB. Wilson has looked like the best QB out of the draft so far. Poised, accurate, strong arm, good decisions, manipulating the 2nd and 3rd level with his eyes, good feel In the pocket, taking care of the ball.

He has had 3-4 bad throws that I've seen, with maybe 1-2 bad decisions. That's to be expected though.

Again. I need to see It on a consistent basis and for the long-haul.

I am feeling encouraged and hopeful I was very wrong about the kid. I can't speak for others, as a Wilson skeptic, but, I promise any of you. I will gladly eat crow and fall on my own sword to have this kid be a legit FQB for our team for years to come. I will not shy away from that.

I have no need to fabricate things either just to try to hold on to some belief I had pre-draft. I try to keep It 100 with my views of this team.

Maybe silence Is golden Indeed.

EDIT:

I also wanted to point out. As far as the 2nd-3rd stringer argument Is concerned. Yes, he hasn't played against 1's yet. It will make some difference. For me though, that doesn't bother me because I can see what he Is doing and I can see that he Is doing things the right way right now. Even with the 2nd-3rd stringers, that Is a very significant bump In competition from what he faced at BYU last season. That Is important to me, I understand the bump In competition, It matters, he still performed extremely well despite It.

So I view that as more of a positive after thinking about It, than a negative.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very nicely said. Classy of you to remain impartial on this matter. I think your early assessment is spot on. He is very poised which I like, does not seem at all overwhelmed, but I fully expect up and downs as the season engages and all the starters are in full swing, with the added benefit of more and more tape on this offense. too early to tell. The question for me is how good will the running game be to alleviate his load and how will he continue to grow. I hope his future is very bright for the good of this organization and all of us.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

God, I hope not. There already is too much useless spam on this forum. If he was the only one on this forum I am sure he would find a way to argue with himself. But, the ignore tool is quite powerful. It kills trolls and makes them dissappear like magic.

Falco21 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I wanted the Jets to draft Fields for one simple reason, he had the legs to make plays, and that's it. As far as throwing ability is concerned, I think they are both about equal. Does this make me anti-Wilson? Saleh is the one with his head on the line, not me, so if he feels Wilson is the better choice for the Jets, that's fine with me and I want him to succeed. I want to see Wilson holding the Lombardi Trophy some day soon, but this doesn't mean I have to gush all over him on the basis of two preseason games. Yes, I have liked what I've seen so far, but there were things to like about Sanchez and Darnold too. Consider me a cautious buyer. Before I plunk down my money, I want to see the "goods" first.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I still can't believe Tony left the site because we drafted Wilson. A guy who has stuck around for so long should be here enjoying with the rest of us.

Red Menace and Falco21 like this.
  14. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I was in the “Fields over Wilson” camp. However, I was wrong about him. This kid is going to be a star. My only concern with Wilson has always been his durability. He’s built like a 14 year old with the arm of Aaron Rogers. As long as the Jets are able to protect him, he’s going to be a stud.

#14 Get me the Damn Ball, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Falco21

Did you completely overlook the photos and videos of him standing next to Rodgers?

16. Falco21

Oh baby!! Converting you over to the dark side!

:D

All kidding aside, it is refreshing to see such shared optimism on a QB on this roster. Have not seen that on here in a long long time

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. bicketybam

Great post and that's what I was looking for. I know you think I'm a dickhead but believe it or not I do value your football knowledge. I agree it's too early to crown Wilson as a superstar. But what I've seen so far is encouraging.

Brook! and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wilson has done about as well as he could so far.

Having said that, it's preseason and I don't put much weight in it. It's better than him doing terribly against 2nd stringers but I'm not going to get too excited until he starts performing well against starters.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My only issue was with the "keep Sam and trade down" crowd. Never made any sense to me.

Brook!, phubbadaman, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  20. bicketybam

He's shown some good signs when it comes to reads. I don't care what string that comes against. That's the hardest thing to teach.