A safe option at safety?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I just read that OJ Atogwe was released by the Redskins. I believe he only spent one season there.

The info is from twitter so obviously there's not a lot of detail, but from what I know of the guy, he's pretty solid and I believe he was a sought after free agent.

Might be worth a look for the Jets, and possibly a safer bet than picking an unknown in the first round...which I hope is off the table now but I saw it in some early mocks (Mark Barron).

2. Clown

Clown New Member

Sign this BEAST!

3. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

I would prefer this over Landry.

4. Chrebet Fo' Ever

Does anyone know if Atogwe can actually cover? He seems to have a reputation of a pretty good safety, and seems to have a decent number of picks so he might be worth a shot, price depending.

Either way more safeties on the market can't be that bad of a thing!

5. Clown

Clown New Member

From what I understand, this guy loves to play in a more coverage type role and less in the box (He can still hit and play in the box if needed). A true FS the Jets have been missing. Its too bad NE needs him badly too along, with Chicago.....

6. Marticle

Marticle New Member

It would make sense to have a look, we need 2 safeties so would be great to get a good vet in Atogwe, and still maybe draft M.Barron or M.Martin.
    Need to get in fast though as FA safties are quiet thin.

7. tubby

tubby Active Member

He's been injured the past2 seasons and is 31 but I wouldn't mind giving him an incentive laden 1 year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Drew

Drew Active Member

I definitely like the option of OJ rather than Landry.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Considering the FA market and draft options I'd probably take a risk on him even though he is a health risk and on the wrong side of 30. If he can stay healthy he'd be a major upgrade.

10. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Atogwe over Landry is silly. OJ is 31, has had bad injuries as of late, and isn't the same player he was with the Rams. He's far from a safe option.

As a last resort he's not a terrible idea but as a first priority Id pass.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Pretty much this. He’s 31. The idea is to get youth and athleticism at the safety spot. He provides some athleticism, but that will start to dwindle as he gets older. He would be an O.K. but I would rather Landry, Lowery and Reggie Nelson.

I would MUCH rather Dwight Lowery. He would provide the same thing that OJ would, yet he’s younger, knows the system/locker room, and more upside.

12. Mangold Goldman

Can you or somebody else please explain to me the infatuation with Lowery all of a sudden?

Did he play well with Jax last yr at safety or something? I dont recall him making an impact at safety at any point with the Jets, despite the possibility of him being moved there was discussed ad nauseum on here.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Bring em in!

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its because of the fact that the other options at the safety position this year arent great (both in FA and the draft). He’s solid in coverage, and as close to a “ballhawk” as we are going to get (simply because the other options arent great).

He was a good player for us, and played well for Jax... Trading him was a bad decision by Tanny, and he even admitted it.

And also, he shouldnt demand a large amount of money so that is another reason why he is a solid option.

15. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Obtain this animal-like man's signature!!!

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What are the bad injuries he's had? He had a sprained knee and a hammy last year, right? Neither of those are what I would consider "bad".

17. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

It's bad Kerry Rhodes never panned out here. Seems like he would have been the type of player we're looking for

18. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

He also made big play after big play for us when it mattered back in 2010. he is just a solid player and Tanny did make a huge mistake by letting him go... I really hope the jets look into getting him back

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

i'd rather get Lowery back.

20. Rhodes couldn't tackle in the open field or adjust to pre-snap reads. Those are necessities as a starting safety for Rex. The Jets don't want and really don't need a speedy center fielder.

There's nothing wrong with the style safety Smith/Leonhard/ are..the problem is injuries and/or lack of foot speed have made them complete liabilities on deep seam routes. The lack of consistent pass rush and athleticism in the front 7 made deep seam routes extremely easy to execute.It was a perfect storm against teams like the Pats.

That isn't to say a speed/athleticism upgrade isn't needed. Instead, we shouldn't shy too far away from a safety with a physical make-up. Running a 4.3 40 isn't mandatory for what the Jets need. They just need somebody that runs better than a 4.8+ like Smith does. More importantly they need someone who can make plays behind the LOS & make open field tackles in cover 0.

I keep going back to Reggie Nelson. He's not much of a blitzer but he's physical in the open field,has great recovery speed and pretty good height. He's also played in cold weather.

Not so high on Atogwe. He's more of a dome NFC player and one on the downside of his career.