A note about the running game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockefella, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I know we're all shitting bricks about the offensive line and the loss of the running game but this popped out at me:

Michael Vick, with injuries, considerable loss in playing time, and him being a god damn QB, has more rushing yards (153) than the following:

- Chris Johnson
    - Peyton Hillis
    - Frank Gore
    - Rashard Mendenhall
    - Shonn Green
    - Matt Forte
    - Jahvid Best

Meanwhile:

- Fred Jackson
    - Ben Tate
    - Daniel Thomas
    - Cadillac Williams

all have 200+ yards rushing, considerably more than the so called 'elite' running backs from the list up top. This lockout has led to a crazy start of the season. I'd imagine things will start trending back towards the norms in the second half of the year.

#1 Rockefella, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Mr3rdDown80

Mr3rdDown80 Member

good point... this has been a wacky season so far for many teams... now more than ever, any team can win on any given sunday

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Fun fact #2
    Dustin Keller has more receving yards that the entire team has in rushing through week 3. If that dos not show you the state of this O-Line (particularly RT and LG) I dont know what will. We are not a running team right now.

Keller 16rec for 249

Greene 41 ATT for 134
    LT 17 ATT for 62
    Jmac 6 ATT for 14
    Sanchez 6 ATT for 34
    Conner 1 ATT for 3

249 VS 247

4. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Stop making these logical and well thought out threads!!

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Lots of short term season stuff going on there. Jackson got to run wild on KC during a blowout, as did Tate against Indy in a blowout. Thomas looks like the real deal. No idea about Caddy and his two decent games.

Lots of things wrong with your underperforming list, as Forte has over 400 yards of receiving and rushing. Best is over 300 yards combined, and missed part of the last game. I'm not going to bother going through the others but some of those backs are still elite, others are hurt.

6. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Combined yards -- mostly through receiving yards on screen passes and in the flats -- has much less to do with the OL/DL.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I agree with DirtySanchez above. It is hard to take anything meaningful away from individual player's rushing statistics with regard to the team's quality. Injuries and other players have way too much of an impact, especially on guys like Ben Tate.

Looking at Team Rushing yard totals:

The Jets have fallen the farthest from 2010 to 2011 with a ranking drop of 20 places (from 4 to 24).

Next are the Cowboys with 16 places (16 to 32). The obvious caveat here is that they have only played 2 games, not 3.

Next are the Titans who dropped 14 places (17 to 31). Again, they have a decent excuse seeing as their star RB just came back to the team very late in the preseason.

Then there are a handful of teams who have dropped 8-11 places (bucs, steelers, panthers, 49ers, chiefs, giants, bears). I don't have any excuse for those teams off the top of my head but their dropoff is far less drastic than the jets. Also, the Chiefs and Giants are still ranked 9 and 14, which isn't that bad.

Overall, I don't think that the lockout has resulted in the turmoil to rushing offenses that you seem to think it did. Most of the changes in ranking are fairly easily explained by either injury or circumstance. Whether you choose to agree is of course your own choice, but either way I hope this adds some context.

8. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

It's the third game of the season. Every game at this point can skew the statistics by a wide margin.

9. JetD

JetD Member

Plain and simple people...........if we dont run the goddamn ball, we arent going to the playoffs...............can you imagine that!..............i want ground and pound back........and i want it now......fuck all the fancy shit, run the ball or go home

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

The way our schedule is laid out, we probably aren't going to get many opportunities to use our run game until after our bye. That could be a blessing in disguise if that's the main thing we work on over that time span.

11. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I agree,but after listening to someone on the radio today i agreed that they didn't go out and get mason and plax to not be a passing team. I would take Braylon back and a strong run game anyday.

12. DETlions2011

DETlions2011 Banned

I'm a Lions fan and I'd kill for your run game.

13. DETlions2011

DETlions2011 Banned

I bet you'd rather have Stafford though. At least this year.