A counterview of the Ryan choice

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Jan 20, 2009.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Mr. Negative, Wallace Mathews does bring out some good points, who knows what kind of head coach he will be, but the " Tannenbaum is a weak GM" is totally wrong. I will say it again, the last 3 years have been the best consecutive drafts in the jet history, even if Gholston is a bust and last years free agent siginings turned out great for the most part. Sorry, I think we are in good hands, this ain't Terry Bradway or Steve whatever his name was.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He has to write something to keep his job, just like the rest of us he does not know what will happen, his idea is to let a guy come in with complete control and rebuild, well this team did rebuild, they dumped the 4-3 for the 3-4 3 years ago, they solidified their offensive line last year, traded for a RB that became the leading rusher in the AFC and scored 14 TD's. we have one of the better OL in the NFL, Callahan did a good job getting these guy's to gel, our defense was first in the league in sacks for 2/3rd of the season until Sutton decided to play zone, read and react defense.

So according to Wallace let's bulldoze the plan we put in place and had partial success with and start all over, the way I see it we gave Mangerine, Sutton and BS the tools to build a mansion and they built a shed...while I would have prefered Spags, I don't think ripping everything down and starting over is the answer.

4. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Jets fan/writer is critical of a decision the team makes.

What a shocker, whoda thunk it??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree.

This guy is basically reaching for straws. It's one thing to go for an experienced coach... it is another to tear the whole franchise apart every time someone who has won a Super Bowl becomes available, which is essentially what this guy is promoting.

Tannenbaum may come across as a boob in his press conferences but his drafting, free agency, trade, and cap work has been nothing short of phenominal. A GM can only do so much, being that they are... well, a GM... and not a coach... but for some reason Tannenbaum gets criticism from a lot of people for the on the field failures. To those of you who chastise Tannenbaum but defend Mangini... do you realize that one of the main reasons we were even able to improve to 9-7 (and have a team in place that is better than its record) was because of the personnel moves by Tannenbaum? The fact that the team underachieved this year had nothing to do with Tannenbaum, that is not his responsibility.

Teams need to be built from the ground up. People need to be given an opportunity to continuously perfect what they've started. Tannenbaum is exactly that type since he has done nothing but very good things since he's been here.

This does NOT apply to Mangini because his on the field philosophy cost us not only games, but the season. Philosophies don't change. Mangini himself said that no matter how bad things got, he was going to stick to the program. This was stubborn to the point of costing him his job.

What THIS team needs is a coach whose going to play to the players strengths. Ryan's resume (which, counter to the OP article, is MUCH more distinguished than Mangini's was when he came here) suggests that he is the coach who will do that.

It is true that we can't really know one way or the other how this will turn out, but the guy writing that article is wrong when he says "business as usual" and "here we go again".

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

to be honest, his view has been echoed many times over by the people on the board. Ryan doesn't have the experience, he has never been a HC before. yaddaa yaddaa.

on Tanny this shit is getting rediculous

after 12 weeks, he was the RUNAWAY candidate for executive of the year. then the whole damn thing fell down around everybody's ears. they missed the postseason with 7pro bowlers, several of which he brought in. Favre, Faneca, Washington, Revis, Mangold, Jones... i mean come on, he has been a fantastic drafter in his three years. Yeah no GM has a perfect record, but come on, his has been pretty damn good in the rounds that count 1-4 and he has gotten some big time steals in the throwaway rounds 5-7.

So far his only mistake in the rounds that count is Anthony Schlegal. Gholston was only a rookie, if he can't show anything by the end of this year, he gets added as well, but for now, it was just a underwhelming rookie season.

Steal wise, he has gotten us reciever Chansi Stuckey in the 7, picked up a guy they like at QB in Erik Ainge. he has brought in UDFA's who you guys were begging for, Caulcrick could make our final roster as the heir apparent to T-rich this year. Heck, what more do you want from him as a drafter?

7. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

And then he intimates that the Jets should have hired Pioli?? Yeah that's all the Jets need. Another link to the Patriots. I for one am sick of trying to copy / steal from the Patriots. The Jets need to build their own identity. Not to say that Pioli will be a bad GM, but nobody knows what he will do without having Belicheck around.

And I agree with others here that Ryan's defensive success has been much greater than Mangini's. To compare Mangini's resume with Ryan's is stretching things just a bit. Mangini has one year as a defensive coordinator and Ryan has been the DC for four years.

He also makes a point about Ryan being (not so) young and then advocates Cowher / Shanahan? That just doesn't make sense.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As I pointed out in another thread and this guy fails to point out at all, no head coach has ever won a SB with two different teams and there are some pretty impressive names on that list of those who tried starting with Lombardi and Parcells. So why think Cowher, Gruden or Shanahan will be the first?

9. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

This is just nonsense. A football architect? So I guess the Raven's made a mistake when hiring Harbaugh and AZ with Wisenhut and Pitt with Tomlin and Atlanta with Smith? What a bunch of nonsense. It makes it more nonsensical when you consider that no coach has won superbowls with more than one team in the history of the league.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Focusing on the similarities between Mangini and Ryan ignores the differences. Mangini held the title of DCC only one year, and the available evidence of his impact was unclear at best. Ryan's track record is far more evident. The Jets were also the only team to show real interest in Mangini, while Ryan has been on other team's scopes for awhile. There are other differences, but what those really show was that Mangini was a somewhat desperate attempt by the Jets to bring in some of that perceived magic, while the Ryan move is more based on a real track record.

11. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Gotta agree with most of the replies here. I know we are taking a chance with Rex but I like his resume and his attitude. I look at the 2 coaches going to the SB and they are 2nd year HC's, I believe. Ken is 46 and Mike is 36, so what? Several of the guys on SNY were whining that we should have checked out Gruden, well if we took him they would be ticked about a "retread". Honestly this is the first coach that generates more excitement than hope for me. With Herm and Eric, I hoped that it would work out, though neither one seemed to bring an identity with them. Rex has an identity and a background. I feel confidant about this move. And no Giants/Pats connection is a bonus.

12. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

the problem i have with this argument is that who should the jets hire other than the proven coordinator? He keeps saying that the Jets hired him because he is the "hot" coordinator, however he has been a proven d-coordinator for years now and i personally was suprised it took this long for him to get a head coaching job. Mangini i guess was a "hot" coordinator but he didn't really even have a great track record as a coordinator. he didn't put up great defenses as a coordinator, it was all the belichick aura. You can't really compare Ryan and Mangini.