A Case for Joe Douglas and the Slow Burn

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 2, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know people are frustrated with this season, but I would just like to make a quick case for why the Jets are making the trades and releases that they have been, and what it means for the good of the future team.

Firstly, Douglas has not cut or traded a single player outside of Adams who had any chance of being on the team in 2021.
    -Steve McLendon: Free Agent this offseason
    -Jordan Willis: Free Agent this offseason
    -Avery Williamson: Free Agent this offseason
    -Brian Winters: Free Agent this offseason
    -Le'Veon Bell: Was never going to be kept at the salary he had.

The moving on from the recent trades moved the Jets up in the draft at least one round each
    -McLendon: 1 Round
    -Willis: 1 Round
    -Williamson: 2 Rounds

The Jets have now increased their draft position by 4 total rounds.

They have created playing time for younger players
    -McLendon clears time for Fatukasi
    -Williamson clears time for Cashman

Lets assume that all 3 players who were traded stayed on the team and were healthy for every game going forward. How many win would they collectively be key parts of?

I would wager 0. An old ILB who is a liability in coverage, an even older NT who has shown no pass rush this year, and an edge player buried on a terrible depth chart. Who is really complaining that the Jets got anything at all in return for these guys?

Why is Bell gone? Money and Money only. He had an $8 million injury guarantee in 2021, so they had to part ways now to ensure he didn't have an injury that kept him on the books in 2021.

Winters has not been good in Buffalo, trust me, I've been watching.

We lost 3 dime a dozen players.... Run stopping DT, Run Stopping LB, and a 3rd string Edge. Someone explain exactly what is wrong with these moves?

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Ever heard of Robby Anderson?

76%, 86 yds/game, about 11 yds per target since he left.

rickjet likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ahhh he wasnt cut nor traded.

Its clearly a purge from the old gotten players. They are essentially planning to see what they have in youth, draft young and fix this team the way it needs to be.

I can see the weird power structure going away too. This will be Joes team. It wont take as much to fix as people think honestly.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4. Ralebird

You're a hundred percent correct but it may be worse that Douglas left the barn door open and the best horse in the stable was simply allowed to walk out.

boozer32, BacktoQueens, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He woulda been a nice piece to keep

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jets79 likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agree. This is one of the few moves Douglas has made that deserves serious scrutiny. Perhaps it was his troubles in the past that made Douglas let him walk. Perhaps he was concerned that Robby would become a malcontent as the season progressed. Perhaps he reviewed Gases offenses and knew that Robby wouldn’t be used properly and thus wouldn’t be worth the money. Or maybe he just misjudged the guys talent.

Not quite the same, bit it makes me think of when Terrance Mathis left and caught like 120 passes with the Falcons the next season.

boozer32, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I understand what Joe is doing and I have no problem with it. My concern is the draft, I don’t want him to be driven by a need to have so many draft picks that he continues to trade down and leaves good players on the board for other teams to glean and Jets end up with a lot of later round picks and a lack of quality players because he’s concerned about quantity over quality.

FJF, Jets79, JetsNation06 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’ve thought about that as well. He has a lot of cap money to play with. He can stay firm and draft BPA or BPAP and sign a lot of well know commodities as role players in FA if he wants. It’s a really interesting place to be, and kind off new ground for the Jets.

Hire coach. Coach says this is my system, get me these kinds of players. Joe builds almost an entire roster with those kinds of players, and relatively quickly because he has a lot of money, a lot of draft picks, and almost nobody currently under contract.

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Passing on Chase Claypool for Denzel Mims is the perfect example of the above.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think it’s a little too soon to use this against Douglas. Claypool has had his best games against some of the worst teams in the league. He’s been way less productive the past couple weeks against quality opponents. Not to mention he plays for the Steelers and not the Jets.

We don’t have to look far to see what Gase does to offenses.

IIMeanDeanII, BudJet, SOJAZ and 5 others like this.
  11. Ralebird

I also don't think the value of Anderson as a lifeline for Darnold should be underrated; synergy is valuable.

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Notionally, JD is making all the right moves. The problem is, like our last two GMs, I’m not entirely sure about our talent evaluation. We’re not flush with either good FA signings or serviceable players from mid-round picks.

We probably need to hit on around 20 players in the next three drafts and even the best drafting teams don’t have that level of success.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s pretty funny that the Steelers always draft best player for position of need, whether it’s a LB, Linemen or WR, they don’t reach for players. They allow other GMs to play mad scientist with the draft board and they simply scoop up good players at their position.

Hopefully Joe picks up a WR in next years second round to complement Mims and Jets are set at that position with contract friendly young WRs.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Certainly, though it kind of fits with my theory that Douglas had seen enough tape on Darnold before the season started to feel confident that he wasn’t the guy.

It’s hard to quantify when Gase is the head coach. If Douglas deserves the respect he supposedly gets from around the league, he must have already known that Adam Gase was not a good HC, meaning no player would be likely to thrive under him. That would mean, in theory, that we still don’t know what we have in Darnold.

When you look through history and see the number of QB’s that turn it around after a few poor seasons to start, the odds become much lower for Darnold to be successful. This is a Douglas thread so I don’t want to go all in on Darnold here, but there’s a strong possibility that Douglas has seen enough and wants (or has always wanted) his own guy behind center.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Team has piss poor talent, but we’re also getting the least possible out of it due to the coaching staff. But yea, someone had posted that a lot of the draft guys from Macs tenure are still in the house. Never understood why that always seems to happen when the Jets bring in a new GM. Must be hard to turn over the scouting division? Either way, that’s definitely one of, if not the biggest concerns.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I loved Robby Anderson and have probably complained more than anyone since he left in Free Agency but at the end of the day he was here for 4 years with 0 playoff appearances and now in Carolina yes he's putting up receptions and receiving yards but he's only got a whopping 1 TD here in 2020 while playing for yet another losing Carolina team @ 3-5 and he has literally 0 chance of making the playoffs.

After losing Robby Anderson we drafted Denzel Mims who will become an absolute animal alongside Trevor Lawrence's arm and with the money JD refused to pay Robby, JD can use all of that available cap space (and then some) on a game changing FA 2021 WR such as Allen Robinson (true #1 WR), JuJu Smith-Schuster (who I absolutely love) or Chris Godwin (86 receptions, 1,300+ receiving yards and 9 TD Receptions last year of 2019 and currently only 24 years of age).

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

JD got rid of some players Gase did not want. I get we are purging veteran players that are not going to be on the team next year. And we suck. Which is fine. But don’t discount the Gase factor!! He has more voice than you think. And still here unfortunately. Could screw it all up for us. If he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOJAZ, Jets79, Noam and 3 others like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We should've kept Winters. I don't care if he's played well or not. We have the absolute worst guard play in the NFL. And a bottom 5 center. Andrews is not a good player.

For a team so bereft of offensive line talent, we should've kept one of the NFL players we had on the roster that can play the spot. Because GVR and Lewis are atrocious.

Outside of that, I agree for the most part.

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Gase is a deal man walking. Even if JD wanted to keep him there is no possible way in this environment.

Now this is about attracting the coach he wants and not settling. With the number one pick the money we have in FA and all the draft capital this becomes a very attractive place to coach.

BudJet, SOJAZ and zace like this.
  20. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be so sure. By it is reasonable to say Gase s goner. And true best thing JD could do is make this team attractive for new coach and staff. The Gase regime may well hamper, even he is gone. That’s how bad he is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 Sack exchange, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020