A breakdown of the team moving forward... & some minor ramblings..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Jan 24, 2010.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

mark sanchez- is the real deal... he will be a pro bowl type quarterback in this league one day and at the very worst be a solid pro, capable of elevating his play in clutch/ playoff type environments.

shonn greene- our starting tailback of today & the future however has shown durability issues through out the season. His physical style will not translate over a 16 game season, therefore, it is essential to either bring back jones (i hope not), draft another rb in the later rounds (greene x 2 we can only hope) or sign another vet to share the load. Nonetheless he is a supreme talent..

Leon's health, imo, is huge to this teams future success. I dont know if you guys realize but sanchez had to play the majority of his rookie season with out a dump off safety net. Greene and jones are not receiving threats & god knows how many extra third downs leon would have earned us in the passing game..

O-Line & recievers/TE's- a real strength on this team.. Outside of the need for a consistent slot reciever, I feel confident in these units moving forward.

The Defense is what is kind of mind boggling. We were statistically the number 1 defense- number 1 passing defense- and stout against the run but I will go out on a limb and attribute this seasons success to great coaching rather than great individual talents.

Our d-line played way over their heads for the entire second half of the season. In the 3-4 guys like devito/ pouha/ ellis can get by, by focusing solely on stopping the run when the outside linebackers are good enough to consistently create pressure on their own. I cant go far enough to say the jets possess this ability. Pace is solid but streaky. Bryon thomas is "just there." He had a solid playoffs but i cant remember calling his name more than 5 times this season. Gholston the bust, im afraid, is the missing piece, so tanny must focus on either drafting a pass rushing demon or signing one in free agency..

Revis is an alien-
    Rhodes/ leohard/smith- are probably the a top 5 combination in the nfl despite half of this board calliing for rhodes head. He may not make as many big plays as we'd like but he also doesnt give up many big ones..

Lito/Lowery/Strickland/Coleman- We should bring back 2 of these guys and if i had to guess it would be lowery & strick. Lowery probably cost us a trip to the superbowl with his performance today but to be fair he is not a good enough athlete to be playing the outside. He is a solid dime/nickel guy at best. Upgrading lito should be a priority this offseason..

All things said & done the jets are probably closer to the playoff team we saw towards the end than they are the 9 win team that confounded by their inconsistency throughout the season..

Leon & Jenkins will only make us that much better... Rex has the personality/balls/ brashness and above all coaching ability to make us consistent contenders in the afc.. Im afraid the only way to get over the last step in winning the afc next season will be dependant on winning home field advantage earning the bye week & forcing these great great qb's like a manning to have to do it in the elements...

My last warning to jets fans, not to be a debbie downer, but nothing is guaranteed. 99 was our year to win it all and vinny ruptured his achilies in the first quarter of the first game. 2003 was supposed to be ours and chad breaks his wrist against the giants... Theres a different feeling around the jets cause we were able to overcome brutal injuries, this season came out of no where, and ryan's refreshing persona..however, i hope you guys enjoyed this run as much as i did because god knows if and when we'll be this close again..

Hope sanchez brings us back next year

#1 GangGreen04, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Our defense has been playing tough and lights-out down the stretch, giving everything they got, and they just got banged up and ran out of steam towards the end.

We need depth, plain and simple.

3. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

Is it just me or is Rhodes always a bystander in the back of the endzone on those passes right over the middle for touchdowns?

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We have a great defense which matches up well against teams with only a few options in the pass game.

The Saints and Colts gave the Jets a problem bc they don't have enough personnel to cover all the talent.

We need a better safety and #2 CB. Lowery is good enough to be #3 cover CB

5. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

The Saints gave us very little problems. They scored 10 pts on our defense. The only passing offense that has eaten us up is Peyton Manning. Brady played well in that 2nd game too.

I just can't wait for the day that Sanchez(hopefully) becomes an elite QB.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The injury to LW was a killer, IMO....you don't realize how much he was missed.

Think about it: how many 3rd down passed to Greene or Thomas this year do you recall ?

We are probably LAST in the league to passes to RBs, esp. after LW went out for the year.

He's better than Joseph Addai coming out of the backfield.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Those would be my calls too, but I would like to see one of those open spots in the secondary be another guy to rotate in as a nickle/dimeback.