75th Anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Feb 19, 2020.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

February 19th, 1945.

[​IMG]

RPOZ51 and FJF like this.
  2. jetophile

3. jetophile

4. jetophile

Take this for what you will, but I heard an interview with a vet from this battle last night, and of the handful that are left, none of them who were actually there and fought were against dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki regardless of the human toll and devastation. The most basic horrid fact of war is that the ones who suffer the most are just regular Joe's who don't give a fck about world power and domination. They're just trying to feed their families and go about their regular Joe existence.

I think that's something that we as Americans take for granted. As in it doesn't even cross people's minds. Here I am bitching about cable TV and The New Dump, but I don't have to worry about getting fucking macheted to death in my bed and having my family raped and murdered as a regular occurrence because why? Basic human rights that I am afforded, saying something "incendiary" most likely won't get me jailed or killed, and I'm not subjected to the often deadly consequences of some religious tribal 1,000 year old bullshit story as a way of life. Oh, wait, 9/11; but anyway, not that home invasion doesn't happen. That's not my point.

I can't stand when things like this turn into a diatribe filled vitriolic campaign about how much this country sucks and how much we should hate it because of survivors' guilt, being white, being gay, not being gay, whatever. I will always and have always been the first to go there that our government is a lying sack of shit, food insecurity is a real problem in one of the richest countries in the world, we've demolished other countries and cultures in our own self interest (raped and decimated the Philipines for i.e).; and we've done detestable things in the past and probably will continue to do so in the future. It doesn't cancel out our right to exist and it doesn't completely cancel out the good things. Like pizza.

I don't hate my country and I'm not about to start. I'm an atheist but it's a term of art so here it goes: God Bless America. The brave and the selfless should be celebrated and remembered with gratitude.

5. jetophile

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Terry Bridgewater was there

7. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I just rewatched Band of Brothers with my girlfriend who had never seen it. We’re watching The Pacific next. Somehow she’s never seen these despite loving war movies.