5 Keys To Jets Making The Playoffs in 2016-2017

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Apr 27, 2016.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Looking at the team from last year and looking ahead this year, I think there are 5 specific keys to a possible playoff birth this year. While there are many more than 5 question marks going into the draft tomorrow (and I'm sure there will be more than 5 coming out of the draft), there are 5 keys, making many assumptions, that lead this team to the playoffs this year

1. The play of Fitz - Assumption #1 is I think a deal gets done and he is the opening day QB. So the key is not getting him signed. It's can he play AT LEAST as good as he did last year or come close. I don't expect him to be better than last year, even with Forte's addition and another year with this offense. With a harder schedule and teams having an offseason to study him in this offense, I think the best we can ask for is for him to repeat last years performance or maybe slightly worse.
    2. Using 2 of the first 4 picks on contributing, starting offensive lineman - I have read so many posts wanting a RB, a WR or a pass rusher. I think these are luxuries compared to the need at O Line. The reason we have had success over the last decade is because of the 2006 draft of nailing Nick and Brick. With Clady a ? and basically the entire right side of the line a ?, I don't see how we should do anything BUT draft 2 lineman in the first 2-3 picks. It's cliche, but you win in the trenches. We HAVE to spend resources on the oline. That's why you HAVE to trade Mo and get online help. I love Mo, but we have 3 players for two starting spots. Platooning and rotating that kind of talent is a waste when you can fill another need or two by trading Mo.
    3. Getting production from our second year players - Williams, Smith, and Mauldin must take big jump. If we trade Mo, which I think still will happen before tomorrow, the spotlight is on Big Cat and he has to take a big jump like Sheldon did. Maiden also. Its his job to lose and he needs to prove he is a 3 down player that can get double digit sacks. And Smith just needs to give us SOMETHING
    4. Average Special Teams - not asking for top 5 or anything crazy. Give me middle of the road, from 14-20 ranked special teams and we probably win another game last year. That's all I ask.
    5. A healthy David Harris - Sure we'd like everyone to be healthy, but when looking at the current roster he (and probably Mangold) seems to be the one player that could be the hardest to replace for a long period of time. We are already very thin at MLB and losing the captain of the defense for any extended period of time would be a disaster.
    Again, I think there are lots of other areas people would include or some of these might not be agreed with, but those are my thoughts going into the draft.

TNJet, JETS1116, twown and 1 other person like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

ok...but this thread is WAY too early

PabloJa, Jets69, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

We've had success since 2006? How many division titles and winning seasons in that time? I reckon this will be worth 10 angry faces if champ sees it!

jerseyjay14 and Cman68 like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Biggest, absolute biggest key to success in 2016 is Petty takes a quantum leap forward and unseats Fitz, who might just be muddling along, his biggest supporters are screaming for his head, and every defense has him pegged for what he is and shuts him down. A smart QB with no arm can only keep you in the game for so long.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we ned to hit on 2 ol in order to compete for a playoff spot this year we may as well fold up the tents now. There is a possibility we get 2 good ol for years to come. But relying on them to play well out of the shoot is a bit much. I.m.o.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Who is Maiden?

JETS1116 and PabloJa like this.
  7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If we got high school level punting last year we make the playoffs.

That's gotta get fixed.

_

jerseyjay14, PabloJa, Jake and 5 others like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/foo...yard-shank-caught-jim-kelly-article-1.2483941

*sigh* /season

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good thread.

There's a few categories.

First, players who's sub-par play could cost us a game or 3 over the course of a season. Breno on the right side of the line comes to mind. Sub-par players like him HAVE to be upgraded for us to have a shot.

A second category is players that are already good, but have the ability to be great, dominant. Richardson, Leonard, and Pryor HAVE to be beyond good. They have to be scary dominant, and all three of them can be. And we need them to be. Instead of costing us a few games due to sub-par play like the first category, these guys can win us an extra game or two just due to their dominance.

Last are our younger players who make up a good part of the team. Amaro, Devin Smith, Mauldin come to mind. These guys have to bring something positive to the team. We can't afford a player like Devin making mistakes and dropping critical passes. We need players like him and Amaro to make brilliant catches late in a game to steal one.

We are a good team with good players in several areas. But we have a difficult schedule, so we need every player to play at least good, and a few gifted players to play lights out and we will be fine.

11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

How about Todd Bowles having his team prepared for games. The Houston game and both Buffalo games were re-enactments of the same type game and Bowles was clueless on how to better prepare and improve the team. He more than anyone needs to learn from his mistakes. I've yet to see it from him. The schedule is tough this year, he better learn quickly or the season could be over by game 7.

TNJet and irishwhip03 like this.
  12. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I think one thing everyone is forgetting about is continuity. A majority of the starting defense is still intact and will be there second year running TB's system. With that comes less thinking and more just playing ball. I expect the defense to be even more dominant this year.

I cannot say this yet for the offense because we do not know if Fitz will be back. Fitz, Marshall and Decker make one hell of a tandem, adding in Forte to the mix and I expect the offense to improve just because of the same reason the defense will, familiarity.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Somewhat agree. Jets still have a very good defense. When you have a good defense, it means you can keep games close and have a chance to win most of them. The thing that worries me is NT. Can we get good production out of that position with Snacks gone? With Fitz as QB, the expectation must be a tad better than last year with a playoff appearance. If not, then why re-sign him? The same expectation with Geno as QB. I'm not sure if he can deliver, but that must be the expectation if he is QB. If Petty or a rookie is QB, then the expectation for this year might be lower, but for years to come they get steadily higher.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  14. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I really like the Mclendon signing from the steelers, the guy has proven to be a good anchor as well as provide some good penetration as a pass rusher. We also have Simon who we have been grooming to rotate in and out with Mclendon. I also expect us to pick up another NT to groom for the future later in the draft. This year we will really see the true worth of Harrison, if the run d remains dominant than Harrison, while being a great NT benefited the most from lining up next to Richardson, Williams and Wilkerson. If the run d drops off, then we know Harrison was worth the coin that the Giants gave him. I believe by the end of the season no one is going to be complaining about not paying Harrison, regardless of how good of a NT he is.

I am on record here thinking that resigning fitz will not produce us a sb, or more likely a playoff appearance because of the competition we face this year. I believe successful franchises build a winning atmosphere, and if we do draft a rookie qb this year or the training staff believes Petty is developing well the best way to continue being a competent winning team is to resign fitz. There is a reason why franchises like the browns and the jaguars are always picking in the top 10 yet never seem to get over the hump, they never instill a winning culture and that is something i think TB and Mac are trying to do. Fitz will never bring us to the promise land, or even the dance to get there but he would provide stability, something that is needed when grooming young qb's to take over.

LIJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Personally I think if we can trade wilk to pitt, sea, Wash, or GB (all picking in the 20s behind us) use that to draft Lynch, Take OT with our pick (20th overall) and then we can kinda go BPA from there. I do want to see us draft a LBer or 2 though.

16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I would take it a step further on the o-line.

I'd use our first two picks on that issue if the right guys fall. Any combo of Conklin/Martin/Decker/Spriggs would be amazing.

TNJet, tomdeb and Red Menace like this.
  17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Exactly what success R U alluding to since the records indicate we did not win a SB in the years 2006 thru 2015?:mad:

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Champ's up.

Hide the optimism.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I made my own 5 keys to a good season.

1. Score more points.

2. Give up less points.

3. Don't make costly mistakes.

4. Capitalize on the other team's mistakes.

5. Always choose "receive" when going into OT.

I think if we follow this formula we could get really far this year.

TwoHeadedMonster and westiedog1 like this.
  20. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Cool reply Bro.