4/20 Jets mock 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Joe D MVP, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

I’d like to sign Logan Ryan in this scenario. Thanks for checking out my mock!

Round 1 pick 11- Mekhi Bector OT Louisville
    Been falling in love with him more and more as draft day approaches. Hope the failed drug test scares off teams in the top 10 and he slides to us! I would easily select him over the big 3 WRs.

Round 2 pick 48- J.K. Dobbins RB Ohio State
    Not a big fan of the WRs going in this area. Bell only has one year left with us, time to grab his successor. Mark Engram with better hands. Fills a hole at RB2 for us.

Round 3 pick 68- Bryan Edwards WR South Carolina
    Steal in my mind if we can grab him here, would be going much higher if not for some injuries.

Round 3 pick 79- Antonio Gandy-Golden WR Liberty
    Keep adding big targets for Sam!

Round 4 pick 120- Lamar Jackson CB Nebraska
    Round 5 pick 158- Kenny Willekes EDGE Michigan State
    Round 6 pick 191- Jon Runyan OL Michigan
    Round 6 pick 211- Jaylinn Hawkins S California.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I really like Mekhi Becton, and would be excited and very hopeful if he is the pick, but I'd also be nervous. I like Dobbins, but this is too high to draft a RB, and it would essentially waste a year of Dobbins' career, because he wouldn't start over Bell, and 2nd RBs should be day one starters. More important, if the Jets take Becton in the first, they almost have to get a WR in the 2nd. Michael Pittman, Jr., Tee Higgins, Chase Claypool are just 3 WRs that could be available at our pick in the 2nd round. I don't know how you couldn't like them. I like Edwards, but not nearly as much as the three I just mentioned. Both Edwards and Gandy-Golden have had some problems with focus drops. While that can be fixed, that's not what the Jets need. They also need at least one WR with really good speed. I see Edwards as about the same speed as Pittman, but Gandy-Golden is pretty slow 4.6. Claypool and Higgins are both faster. If the Jets came out of the draft with Edwards and Gandy-Golden, I'd hope for the best, but wouldn't be very happy or optimistic. I don't think either would make an immediate impact this season, and the Jets need at least one WR from the draft that can come in and produce day one. Jackson is an ok CB prospect, but Edge is more important to me, and if the Jets sign Ryan, taking a CB wouldn't be a necessity. Willekes has a great motor, but isn't very athletic or fast, and I don't expect that the Jets would get very much production out of him. I'd rather draft Bradley Anae or Alton Robinson in the 4th. I think the Jets also need to draft a developmental QB, and the 4th or 5th round is the quite possibly the area they'd need to take one. If not, then one of those 6th round picks should be used on a QB imo. I don't see the Jets needing a S. A P or K would be a better pick at that point in the draft over a S who has no chance of making the team.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Higgins is the guy at WR we need to target in Rd 2. Very good all around. I like Johnson from Minnesota too in Rd 3 if still on the board. Would be very excited if we ended up with these two.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I rather have Thomas at OT. IMHO he is better all around player and can start immediately.

amuck57 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He doesn't fit our blocking scheme. He doesn't have the lateral mobility and athleticism to effectively play the wide zone blocking scheme.

Joe D MVP likes this.
  6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He won’t last past the first couple picks in round 2 at the absolute best.

7. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I love JK Dobbins and would consider it. Don’t think Tee Higgins falls to us.

Joe D MVP likes this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. If he's gone then we turn our attention to Pittman, Hamler, and Johnson.

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I like Dobbins too but it depends on whats available--I think you are right that he need be in play here. Good insight.

Joe D MVP likes this.
  10. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Thanks for the replies! Few counter points on this mock.

Dream scenario, Bector will fall even further due to drug test being flag as many think. We trade back a bit to gain more draft capital.

On Dobbins.....I don’t believe a 2nd round running back has to be a starter out of the gate to warrant a 2nd round selection, just a major contributor. As we would be thin at WR, Bell would be split out much more, Dobbins is also a very good receiver. Not a big fan of the WRs that I believe will be around at this point, let’s have 2 RBs that are fantastic at catching and producing YAC. We seem to have a nice run blocking line especially if we get Bector we must take advantage! Best way to protect Sam is a great rushing attack! If Bell can find his old form we would have a fantastic rushing attack featuring a two headed monster of Bell and Dobbins.

The WRs I think we are ok on speed so
    I’m not too worried about Gandy-Goldens 40. I think he could be a Plaxico Burress type guy if all works out. I think he’s one of the sleepers of this whole draft great ball tracking skills.

Lamar Jackson CB Nebraska. Sure if we sign Logan Ryan as I suggested in this scenario drafting a cb becomes less of a need. With all the one year deals we must begin to develop a corner. Assuming Ryan would only sign a one year deal, leaving us with only Bless for the future.

Finally, Jaylinn Hawkins S Cal. We need some safety depth Mayne is always hurt. Hawkins can play in the box as well as in the dime package. A new toy for Greg Williams and could be on special teams. I think he would make the team.

#10 Joe D MVP, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020