3 years ago today, Jets hired Joe Douglas (June 7th) - POLL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 7, 2022.

?

How would you grade Joe D's 3 year with the Jets

1. A+ to A-

20.0%
  2. B+ to B-

40.0%
  3. C+ to C-

8.6%
  4. D

11.4%
  5. F

2.9%
  6. Too early to tell

17.1%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Joe D's 3 years in the books.

Let's talk about his positives and negatives and give him a 3 year grade.

2. Brook!

Positives:
    Great trades
    Last 2 drafts looks very promising
    Great cap management

Negatives:
    His first draft seems underwhelming
    Not in love with his FA signing performance but don't hate it either.

Debated between A grade and B grade and decided to go B but easily could have been an A grade.

LogeSection2RowJ, Jets79 and Jeff M like this.
  3. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I mean if we just looked at wins, he kind of sucked. If we look at how he has built this team through the draft with some really great trades, he’s done an amazing job. Still need one more year for the plan to completely come together.

PJ4Ever, Jojo, mrjet80 and 4 others like this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Deflection of Cons:
    His first draft was under the gauze of Gase and both Mims and Becton performed in that system

His most important FA signings Moses and LDT performed well while his two biggest signings deserve TBD next to their grades.

He stripped down the team and didn’t delay the rebuild with and bad contracts (sorry Robbie Anderson). He took our limited assets and got the most outrageous hall since Hershel Walker. He has maneuvered the draft upgrading our weakest position groups into our strongest (pending rookie performances).

If you’re grading bases on performance (JD’s performance), JD deserves nothing short of an A+.

If you’re grading on results (Wins), JD deserves nothing lower than a TBD.

Jets79, Jeff M, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

He gets a Big Fat D.
    I love how everything he's done somehow gets an A when not a single fukin person he's aquired had produced anything!!
    The Gase Debacle DISASTER
    His 1st o-line attempt was a DISASTER.
    Van Rotten, Osemele, McGovern? Seriously?
    How bout Frank Gore, Corey Davis
    Remember, We had a Brand New QB and that's what he put together.
    Records under JD?
    7-9
    2-14
    4-13
    Any other GM that's a fail...

That doesn't mean that's his final grade.
    After this years draft and the FA signings this year it looks like the D can easily turn into an A++
    but people giving this guy anything above a C for producing the above resulting in absolutely nothing are just licking massive footballs.
    Yeah yeah, Long haul..we know.

6. Brook!

Good points KR. Let's hear some counter arguments. Not the right thread but can you PM me your views on Saleh? Don't want to derail the thread.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

We can only grade based on what we know right now, and all we know right now is that the most important person he drafted was terrible (ZW, of course). Based on that fact, I can't give him more than a B+, even accepting all of the good things (including players he's just acquired being as good as they look like they could be). If Wilson takes a step towards being a solid starter this year, he goes up to an A- or A. If Wilson gets into the top 10, he's at least an A. If Wilson ends up able to go toe to toe with Josh Allen, it's an A++.

PJ4Ever, KY Jets Fan and Royal Tee like this.
  8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

What even warrants a B+ ?? Give me something he's done that warrants that. If it's this years draft, they haven't played a down, sure looks great but we're talking about 3 years as a whole and I don't see anything other than this years moves, again...haven't played yet that warrants a B+

Hey, everyone has their Opinion..but I honestly don't see how...lol

Jets69 likes this.
  9. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

It really all depends on Saleh and Wilson. From an outside perspective.

The coach and the QB. And the staff the coach can attract.

In fact that may be the most important thing for any team. The staff I mean.

10. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

As a casual fan I can say FWIW that the weird timing of his hiring almost assures that his first draft was the Scouting Dept. draft.

As I recall the timing of his hiring was a bit awkward. May be misremembering.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You are slightly misremembering. The timing was weird in the sense it was directly after FA and the draft. JD has been here 3 years but has only put 2 teams on the field.

Cman68 and Not Sure like this.
  12. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Too early to tell at best. The only good things things he's done so far is make trades to get more draft capital and keep the Jets out of salary cap trouble. With that draft capital he's made picks that the so called experts love, but have yet to do anything in terms of results. He hired a defensive head coach who promptly took the Jets defense straight to the bottom of the league. His new QB, picked #2 overall, threw a whopping 11 touchdowns the entire season - the best quarterbacks throw that in a 3 or 4 game stretch. All of the money he spent on free agents might as well have been set on fire based on how much they have seen the field.

AND he is fat.

So, if anyone is giving him a positive rating, they are not being realistic. Maybe they are judging him against what we've had lately (Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik) who may be 2 of the worst GM's in the history of the league. Next to them, Joe Douglas looks pretty good.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He didn’t hire Gase
    Corey Davis has played one injury plagued season
    McGovern had a very good year last year
    Osemele got hurt early

There’s plenty to get on Douglas for but not those four things.

PJ4Ever and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Couldn't give him more than a B because results have been poor and jury is still out on ZW and Saleh - his 2 biggest calls. But he has had a clear plan and largely executed it well. The roster looks in a much healthier position and should be competitive going forward. There's still work to do and any grading is provisional.

PJ4Ever, KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd have given him a D but so much relies on Zach Wilson at this point and if he found a QB the Jets fortunes will rise.

16. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I gave him an A.

I make no bones.

The three big issues to date are Becton, Mims, and Zach. I liked the Becton and Mims picks at the time, and they are probably the biggest causes for criticism, and I will not be a hindsight criticizer. I loved the Zach pick, but the jury is, of course still out on him.

This past draft and off-season appear to be A to A+ caliber, but it still has to be proven on the field.

Until we get 20 - 20 hindsight we will not know for sure, but I think the key issue here (without the benefit of hindsight) is what could Douglas have done better ????

I say very little.

PJ4Ever and KingRoach like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am guessing you are not a JD fan.

Go back and look at some of Max's posts on what JD has done.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Based on wins and losses alone, he gets an F. If Zach ends up being a bust, and the wins and losses don't improve, he'll end up with an F for sure. But there's a chance Zach will end up being good, in which case the wins and losses will improve, and he could end up with an A or B. By the end of this season, it will be clear.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What was he hired to do and what are the grading criteria.

1. Blow up a bad roster for Draft Picks -- Check
    2. Build through the draft- Youngest Roster in the league last season
    3. Get out of bad contracts - Check
    4. Not get into bad contracts- Check
    5. Rebuild the scouting department- Check
    6. Win games- TBD

mrjet80, LAJet, Aero and 4 others like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I went with a B.

Like @cval noted above, not only did we have a bad roster when he took over but we we're in salary cap hell. We had terrible contracts on our books (Lev Bell, Trumaine Johnson, etc.) to the point that we were paying upwards of 30-40M in dead cap (if I'm remembering correctly, sucks that OTC and Spotrac don't have historical cap figures for free).

I know I've done this in a previous thread but the roster, ON PAPER, is more talented than it was when JD took over and has a much, much higher ceiling due to the youth of this roster. It still blows my mind that 2019 team won 7 games.

I feel like the only position group that's worse is Safety. QB is probably a push at best at this point but literally every other position is much better, again on paper.

Eventually all this talent on paper has to start translating to wins or everything he's done won't matter as he'll be gone if we continue to win 6 games every 2 years.

Right or wrong, we've gotta be competitive this year or his seat will start to get very hot.

Jets79, LAJet, Brook! and 2 others like this.