"3 Reasons why the Buccaneers should trade for Sam Darnold" - the Pewter Plank!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nycarl, Sep 24, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Sam isn't a Jet next year, I hope he succeeds wherever he goes; he deserved better than this.

AJW, KurtTheJetsFan, SOJAZ and 15 others like this.
  2. While Drafting Lawrence & trading Sam should at least be considered,it only makes sense if the Jets are getting a serious haul for Sam & that they are 100% certain they will be in position to draft Trevor.

Its not really a “giving up on Sam” or thinking Trevor is better but rather maximizing asset return & long term cap flexibility.Sam could get a pretty nice return & Jets get a similar level prospect & a new lease on football life to finally get a clue on how to develop a young QB.

Sam gets a fresh start.Jets get the Picks they need & a franchise reset behind center.Could be best for both parties

AJW, Leicester Jet, SOJAZ and 10 others like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There would be zero reason to trade Sam before the draft, so if Lawrence turns out to be the one guy we'd do it for, we'll know whether we've got him before we trade Sam. And while I think Sam can flourish in a competent environment, it's important we make the right decision for the future even if that is trading Sam. (Imagine if the Cardinals passed on Murray just because they'd drafted Rosen a year earlier.)

KY Jets Fan, Noam, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Like all fan-slanted articles, this one is unrealistic in how much the actual price for Darnold would be. I would accept nothing less than a late Round 1 and a lower pick or a 2nd/3rd from the next year, minimum. If I didn't get that, I'd be happy to hold onto him and have him and Lawrence compete for the job. If Sam were to beat him out, it would allow Lawrence to sit and learn; if Lawrence beat Sam out, it would mean the Jets would have a very competent back up on the bench ready to step in should Lawrence struggle. The guy who wrote this article is delusional if he thinks the Jets are in a bad bargaining position.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! If Sam plays decently the rest of the year, and if Rothlisberger retires following this season, Pittsburgh could be interested in trading for Sam. Phillip Rivers can't play forever so Indianapolis could be interested. Carolina, Philadelphia, and SF could be interested. If Brees retires, NO could be interested. How much longer will Detroit's Matthew Stafford (32) or Atlanta's Matt Ryan (35) play? Maybe even the Titans or Raiders could be interested. If Belichik and Cam Newton can't co-exist, NE could even be interested. The Jets could wind up the recipient of a nice bidding war.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The entire premise of the article is that Darnold can thrive under a different coach. A move is not required.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

If the Jets go 0-16, 2-14 etc and are in position for Trevor? No team will give up asset's in order to trade for Sam. 3 seasons? 3 losing years? Soon to be free agent?

Sam Darnold is no Jamal Adams people. We aren't getting two 1st rounders for him etc. We'd be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him (at most).

ouchy likes this.
  8. SmoothLefty21

SmoothLefty21 Member

Sam may not garner a 1st round pick if we do look to move him but his price tag will sure as hell be higher than a 4th rounder.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Rosen was passed around the league for 2nd rounders. Sam will be somewhere around there

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The expectations of getting some sort of 'haul' for Sam are extremely unrealistic.

His value is probably that of what Sam Bradford was dealt for a while back (a late first), if that.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Steve Sabol's kid was on the radio and said that there were some teams that had Sam Darnold completely down their draft boards in 2018. And others who had him as no.1, he said rarely has he seen a prospect with such a discrepancy, especially when its not character related.

he said flat out that there are some teams who wouldn't want to work with Darnold at all his footwork is so bad. Since it hasn't improved, I would say those distractors still exist. The topic of this discussion is Tampa though, and I do believe Darnold would do well under Arians

Shea Jet likes this.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Rosen is probably the nearest benchmark in terms of value but I think we might get a late first and probably a switch of third or fourth round picks with a playoff team looking to extend their window if they have a veteran QB retiring but are otherwise still stacked (Steelers, Colts).

Gase's gameplan is not exactly going to highlight Sam in the following weeks but one thing working in our favour is that teams might look at the Tannehill revival in particular and come to the conclusion that the Jets should of come to over a year ago and think "Well Gase is crap and kills non-HoF QB's not named Manning".

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No one is trading Sam. The Jets are going to build around Sam. How is this so complicated for people to understand? The Jets are not getting the #1 pick either. All of these quick reactions drive me nuts.

The article is right though: The Bucs should try to trade for Sam. He would be amazing for them.

14. NCJetsfan

Sam has been a lot better than Rosen. Rosen has hardly played. Sam has started most of the games in now his 3rd season, and has shown flashes of greatness. IMO there's no way that Sam only garners a 2nd round pick. Rosen should be out of the NFL by now. He sucks. If Sam is traded, I think he will garner at least a 1st round pick, and quite possibly multiple picks.

dmw and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Hopefully we are both wrong and it never comes to that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

What makes you so sure this team isn’t worthy of a #1 overall pick? This team is much worse than last years team with the hardest schedule. Just wondering

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK that this is the premise of that article, but if that's what the OP intended to support, then I agree with that. Darnold is certainly not washed up or of no value. He may not become the FQB he could be, but that's on Bowles and Gase and the Johnsons for not doing what they should've done to ensure that happened.

I loved Namath, and still think he's one of the best QBs in history, but when he alludes to the idea that Darnold may not be a FQB, he forgets that when he was drafted, Werblin and Ewbank did everything they could to surround him with the talent he needed to succeed. If he were on this team - given his bad knees from the very start - he probably wouldn't have survived his first year.

That's not to say that Darnold doesn't have to do better despite all the handicaps around him, but people who are drawing the conclusion that he ought to be tossed aside at this point are being too hasty.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

but its a capable QB. that changes every rule.

ColoradoContrails likes this.