2024 NFL Draft - 1st Round Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Draft day!

#10 pick. Tons of excitement. It is finally here. Let's go Jets.

Please NO TWITTER SPOILERS during draft. A lot of us watch it on TV so please don't ruin it for us.

Pepsiguy5, westiedog1 and Murrell2878 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Walk away with any of MHJ, Nabers, Odunze or Bowers and I feel great. Walk away with OL and I feel good. Walk away with D and I feel like shit.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

May the gods of the 2022 draft be smiling on Joe Douglas’s pick!!

4. BroadwayAaron

Schrager, who is consistently one of the best mock drafters, has us going Bowers with Alt still on the board. I don’t think Douglas has the restraint or the stones to make the correct two-year window, win-now pick but I’d be pleasantly surprised.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know Broadway. If Alt is still there, how do you pass that up.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  6. Brook!

Well I am still on OT camp but if we pick Bowers I won't be upset. Some folks like @Sundayjack @BrowningNagle who knows football better than me educated me enough with their posts to be happy about Bowers pick if that happens. But I still hope it is an OT. Insurance for this year, starter for next year. We got no starting caliber tackles on the roster for next year.

7. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

My two cents..

I'm on the draft a weapon for Rodgers camp, preferably a WR. The WR I want is Odunze, my initial thought was that Harrison Jr. and Nabers would be gone before our pick, but the more I've watched and listened to all three the more I like Odunze the best anyway. Like Odunze's visit on the Rich Eisen Show yesterday for example, he was well spoken and likable guy, joking with Rich, Brock and TJ and giving good answers. I put a lot of value on social skills in team sport and if the skillsets are closely matched, I'd pick the most social guy every time. Add to that the rumors about Nabers' character concerns, I wouldn't want him in my dressing room.

If the top three WRs are gone, at that point I would consider Bowers.

After that comes the tackles...

Here's the Rich Eisen interview with Rome, if anyone's interested:

Brook! and IDFjet like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

Ive said it a million times and it’s two schools of thought… one won’t understand the other or agree with them. You are in win now mode and your quarterback has probably two years left in him. You do what’s best for the team right now and to me that means giving him an elite weapon rather than tackle who might be able to step in when our starters get hurt and then be a solution down the road.

REVISion and dawinner127 like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

For me, I would be ecstatic if we somehow trade up for Nabers. Maybe with the Giants. Short of that, I think the target is Odunze or Bowers. I would prefer Odunze, but would not be mad at Bowers. I prefer speedy guys who get separation and run routes well as a pass catcher, that translates better in NFL. Odunze is not exactly that, but he does have great contested catch ability, athleticism, and ball tracking. There is a lot of value there. He could be young more athletic Mike Williams. So, I am not running to the podium for him, like for Nabers, but there is a lot to like too, and I'll take him at 10 or even give a 4th to trade up if needed.

I also would be happy if we get a stud LT to solve this problem for many years. I feel Alt, Latham, and Olu could be that. I am not sure JD would take Olu because based on the moves he made earlier suggest he prioritizes power running game, where I think Olu is weaker for now. Not really a mauler. Still I would take him.

Where I am concerned is if takes a guy like Fuaga or Fautanu. To me these are not solving LT permanently. I think they are guards, and on top of that Fautanu is almost 24. So overall: estatic with Nabers or Alt; happy with Odunze, Latham, Olu; OK with Bowers; unhappy with Fuaga and Fautanu, unless a trade down.

joelip and Brook! like this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I've got a stress test today at 2, should be pretty close to when the Jets pick. I wonder if they'll let me watch the draft and see what my heart does when the pick is announced

Edit: This is what I get for listening to Google. Guess the coverage starts at 12 but first pick not until 8

#10 The Waterboy, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Brook! and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The perennial dilema comes to an end today. Give AR a new weapon for a win now, or double up and protect the line for now and the future. With the number of investments on the OL, I think he is going weapons, although I would still prefer OL if Alt is there.
    I’ll be happy in this order, Alt, Nabers, Bowers, and Odunze. also happy with a trade down and grab Fuaga plus a second rounder in return. Good luck to the Jets and may we get a perennial pro bowler with the pick.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I love Bowers as much as anyone but if Alt is there when we pick, you pick Alt 10/10.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

When is actually the 1st pick? Is it around 8:20 or so?

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly it takes about 15-20 minutes per pick on round 1 after of course 10 minutes of the commissioner welcome.

15. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Don't overthink or overestimate your current position of strength. Don't fall into a trap of trying to be overly cute or clever. Don't walk out of the draft without your franchise LT for a second year in a row.

Draft OT at 10, and pick up a pretty good WR prospect in the 3rd.

16. BroadwayAaron

I want to know what Jets team you've been watching that leads you to believe they will walk out of a draft with a franchise anything. Ironically the only thing we draft well in the first round is WR.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the "Vegas" guy on twitter who claims to have a connection to the Front Office (and he has been right a couple times so maybe he does) seems convinced it will be a wide receiver tonight, particularly Odunze so we will see if hes right or full of it. He is saying it wont be a lineman no matter what cause Rodgers doesnt want it

18. BroadwayAaron

Rodgers is no dummy. He knows he's got two years, maybe, to make noise. He's not doing that going 2024 backup OT at 10 overall.

Edit: Actually Rodgers is a massive dummy, but not when it comes to football.

19. Brook!

I have Disney+ bundle so ESPN+ articles are free to me. Below link is behind a pay wall but I will still copy paste Jets related portions for folks who don't have ESPN+

This is Mel Kiper's latest insights rumors etc. Good read. Here is the link to the article that is behind paywall.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...per-round-1-predictions-buzz-notes-qbs-trades

The Chargers will take an offensive tackle at No. 5 ... if they don't trade down: Joe Alt (Notre Dame) and JC Latham (Alabama), my top-ranked tackles, likely will both be on the board when L.A. is on the clock. Will Jim Harbaugh really pass on one of them when we know he wants to build from the trenches? It might take a huge haul of picks to do so. More on that in a minute.

The Titans will take a tackle or wide receiver at No. 7: Tennessee's need at offensive tackle is too great; it can't afford to trade down. Right? But what if wide receiver Rome Odunze (Washington) is available? My second-ranked receiver would be awfully appealing, especially if Alt is off the board. I still think the most likely scenario is the Titans taking Alt and starting a run on OTs -- we could see six or seven more in the top 32. Alt, my No. 1 tackle, is exactly the player the Titans need to protect Will Levis' blind side.

Five teams that could make Round 1 trades

New York Jets: I'm coming around to the idea of the Jets passing on tight end Brock Bowers (Georgia) at No. 10, trading down a few spots and taking an offensive tackle. They could get Taliese Fuaga (Oregon State) or Olu Fashanu (Penn State) and pick up extra capital. Remember that they don't have a second-round pick as a result of the Aaron Rodgers trade.

Jets79, joelip, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a little wild how much everyone acts like OTs are 100% guaranteed to work out and play for 15 years.

I'm a broken record at this point but the value for OLs is in the mid rounds. That's where their odds of working out are relatively best compared to every other position.

abyzmul and LAJet like this.