2022 Yankees Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Cappy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

That stat you wrote that only once have the Yankees rolled out the same lineup back to back days once is pretty crazy. Shows way too much dependency in analytics.

A female host on wfan made a good point. It seems like the Yankees, and most of baseball, has deemed fundamentals a dirty word... because analytics says so.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Billy Martin is rolling over in his grave, Yankees never sacrifice, steal a base hit to the right side to advance the runner, all fundamentals of baseball

bicketybam likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Analytics also doesn't factor in the human element to the game and momentum in either direction. I mean I'm sure there are advanced analytics that they use that might but a career .250 hitter has the same chance using pure numbers to hit a home run whether he's working in a 0 for 23 or a 9 for 18 streak.

It always pissed me off when Boone wouldn't ride his starter that was cruising (mainly Tanaka) for a 6th or 7th inning at least to start the inning. Let's say 70% (arbitrary made up percentage) of the time a pitcher over 97 pitches will give up a run. This only needs to be one of the times that falls into 30% for it to work...

The 2015 Royals are laughing at the moneyball analytics nerds that run the A's (no stealing, sacrifice bunting, etc.) and other teams that don't believe in the fundamentals. Same with those Giants World Series teams.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Last night’s lineup is the one I want to see moving forward. Geo at short, DJ at third and Gleyber/Odor platooning at 2nd. And no Gardner.

5. matt robinson 17

Just say no to Gardner!

6. Jonathan_Vilma

So here comes the obligatory sweep of the Mariners to get the Yanks feeling good about their chances again. Luckily they rip off 14 of their next 21 against the Astros, Red Sox and Rays with the Marlins and Phillies (both decent enough) before the deadline.

So it should be very obvious if they should sell or not. I wonder if they'd try to make a behind the scenes agreement with Judge to move him and bring him back thereafter.

Unfortunately the teams that could probably use him the most (Brewers and A's) have the most beat to shit farm systems.

The Giants might be a good option though and if the Braves have a good month they'd be a good team to trade with as well. Problem is the Braves don't need another bat. Judge would put the Giants, Brewers and A's heavily over the top.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-farm-system-rankings

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree only I don't think Gleyber needs to be in a platoon. You have to let the kids play everyday and fight through different types of pitching. He's pretty even down the middle versus right and left handed pitching.

I'd ideally move Andujar up to hit second and move everyone down a notch. It'd add length to the lineup and will let him see some better pitches. He's also not a massive strikeout liability like the three amigos hitting 2-3-4 right now. I'm bias though because I love the kids potential as a good MLB hitter.

Dierking likes this.
  8. Dierking

I honestly would rather you manage the team than Boone.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. Dierking

Locastro gets the start in LF over Andujar because why the fuck not?

10. matt robinson 17

Locastro and Garbagepail in the same lineup.....:mad:

11. Dierking

I mean, they don't have any centerfielders in the minors who know how to play? The least bad option at this point just can't be Gardner.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Florial was up earlier in the season and was 1/3 and of course gets sent down immediately to protect against arbitration and keep him under control I'd imagine.

He's been in the system for five years already. Good call - I'd give him a crack. Teams would be smart to get these guys into the majors earlier so if they do become good players you don't give them 10 year deals when they're 30.

13. JackBower

Angle: Yankees bats came alive in Seattle.

Reality: after the 2nd of yesterday's 5-4 win their offense did nothing minus Judge.

I still think Glayber gets traded at some point.

14. matt robinson 17

So much dead wood on this team including the manager

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Why? They'd be selling low. He's 24 years old man.

Unless there is some serious off the field concerns with him (like how they shipped Melky away so he'd stop taking Cano to strip clubs til 3AM) then there's no reason to trade him.

He's another guy that would benefit a lot from hitting in front of Judge/Stanton but the dipsticks that work for the Yankees analytics department think he's a good supporting 6/7 hitter. Judge needs to be out of the 2 hole. He's the only consistently solid bat on the roster and his presence a spot down would help create another lively bat.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. JackBower

Really just my opinion. There's a lot of lefty hitting SS coming up in FA. Plus he has good value and if they sign a SS you're basically picking between him or DJ.

Would DJ move to first base full time? Im not sure, and then Voit needs a spot. It's almost weird at this point the refusal to play Stanton in the outfield when we have 0 outfielders.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I still don't think Stanton would get hurt as often if he was jogging around in the outfield every day. Or at least 3 times a week. He played 159 games in Miami, with 149 coming in right field in 2017.

The Yankees transitioned him to DH too quickly. The guys 31 years old and they're treating him like 40 year old A-Rod.

As far as Gleyber is concerned they can always move him back to second if they pursue Seager or Correa (which I doubt they will as I'd bet they re-sign). We'll see what happens with Story at the deadline.

What value does he have at this point? He's at his own all-time value low point and he'd almost be traded as a reclamation project.

JackBower likes this.
  18. Dierking

Say what, now?

19. JackBower

I don't remember specifics, but I remember reading at the time the main reason to trade Melky was to separate him him from Cano and he was a bad influence.

I thought it was more PED related at the time.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  20. matt robinson 17

Cortes vs Astros with Garbagecan, Wade, Odor in the lineup nice job Cash…