2021 Mock Draft (Too Early 1.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Oct 8, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

1. NYG: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
    -The Daniel Jones experiment doesn't work and Gettleman is gone. The Giants take a new QB and don't look back.

2. WAS: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
    -Washington also punts on their 2018 QB pick and goes for the athletic big arm in hopes they can develop him like a Josh Allen.

3. NYJ-->JAC: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
    -Jacksonville hops over Denver at #4 to take a QB with the physical upside they lack in Minshew. It becomes clear Minshew is a great backup option but lacks the tools to compete for a championship. The Jets are not in love with Fields, so they move down to gather picks.

4. DEN: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
    -Denver needs Offensive line help, and they go with the best tackle prospect they've had a shot at in years. Garrett Bolles isn't cutting it.

5. NYJ: Gregory Rousseau, ED, Miami
    -The best ED in the class is available and no QB that they like, which makes the pick easy. A big time ED to pair with Q. Williams could create a formidable pass-rush.

6. MIA: Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
    -The centerpiece of Flores’ defense to man the middle. They could use an DL but the fit is too perfect and Parsons is a fantastic prospect.

7. HOU—>MIA: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
    -The L. Tunsil trade pays off with a top 10 pick, and gives T. Tagovailoa an excellent option to pair with D. Parker and M. Gesicki.

8. ATL: Marvin Wilson, IDL, Florida State
    -It is hard to pass on CB here but they desperately need help for a DL that can’t control the line of scrimmage.

9. CIN: Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State
    -Despite some early round investments on the OL, the Bengals are horrible at OG. Davis will help protect Burrow and give him time to dissect opposing defenses.

10. MIN: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
    -Minnesota’s D requires great CB play, and Surtain is prospect that can’t be passed on by a team that values the position so highly. Gladney and Surtain can form a tremendous 1-2 punch for a few years together on the cheap.

11. LAC: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
    -The Chargers right side of the OL is strong, but the left side needs work. Leatherwood is a great value and great fit.

12. CAR: Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama
    -The Panthers continue to form the defense with high picks. Moses fills a void left by the retirement of Luke Kuechly.

13. CHI—>ARI: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
    -Arizona sees the impact of G. Kittle in their division, and trades up to find their own version.

14. DAL: Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
    -The Cowboys need a #1 CB after the departure of B. Jones and the only way they can afford one is through the draft.

15. NE: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
    -The Patriots find an explosive player that could plague the AFC East for years.

16. SF: Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State
    -The 49ers need a young player to step take over after Richard Sherman. Wade is a nice value at 16 and can either start right away or wait a bit.

17. ARI—>CHI: Keith Paye, ED, Michigan
    -The Bears trade back to 17 to acquire some picks, plus their primary goal of ED has a better value here. Paye will soften the eventual loss of Mack and Quinn.

18. CLE: Quincy Roche, ED, Miami
    -Roche gives Cleveland a cheap player to combo with the pricey M. Garrett. The Browns have lots of talent, so doubling up on high quality ED works well for them.

19. DET: Christian Barmore, IDL, Alabama
    -The Lions sneak into the playoffs as the 7th NFC team and Patricia stays, but they desperately need help on the defensive line.

20. PHI: Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
    -Jason Kelce is getting old, and injuries have ravaged their OL. An elite C can bolster the line and help at OG if necessary, and take over for Kelce later, or step right in at C.

21. TEN: Aidan Hutchinson, ED, Michigan
    -The Titans need edge help and Clowney will probably be a goner after this season.

22. IND: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
    -The Colts need a speedy player to pair with M. Pittman, and T. Hilton is getting a bit older. A fresh speedster can’t hurt even if they retain Hilton.

23. LAR—>JAC: Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas
    -The Jaguars bolster their OL to help out their rookie QB. This pick was from the J. Ramsey trade.

24. LV: Jay Tufele, IDL, USC
    -The Raiders need a real presence on the interior. Tufele is better than any other DL available including ED.

25. BUF: Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
    -The Bills pair a young stud CB with T. White, their proven vet.

26. TB: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
    -The Buccaneers need an explosive back who can catch lots of passes for one more run with Brady.

27. NO: Kyle Pitt, TE, Florida
    -Pitts offers the Saints another mismatch weapon to run with Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara, plus Jared Cook will likely be gone for cap reasons.

28. BAL: Carlos Basham Jr, ED, Wake Forrest
    -Basham can replace M. Judon who will likely move on in FA.

29. PIT: Hamilcar Rashed Jr, ED, Oregon State
    -Bud Dupree is another player who will likely move on in FA, and Rashed gives Watt a young, cheap running mate.

30. SEA—>NYJ: Josh Myers, C, Ohio State
    -So far McGovern hasn’t been great at C, so a move to OG might be good for him. Myers gives Darnold a big time player in front of him to keep him protected.

31. GB: Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami
    -The Packers finally give A. Rodgers a big time weapon, but at the TE position.

32: KC: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
    -WR doesn’t come to mind as a Chiefs need, but they will likely lose 2 WR’s in FA including S. Watkins and D. Robinson.

This assumes the Jets decide to run with Darnold, and I'll do another version in which they are looking for a QB.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

First of all, great work as always.

Secondly, I have to disagree with your first 1st round pick for the Jets. I still believe that if Chase is available, he must be the selection if Sam is still the QB. The offense needs playmakers if Sam is to have any shot at becoming a FQB. I like the Myers pick as the team could use an upgrade at C.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Disagree with Roseau. He needs a huge combine and idk if he’s what we want.

4. MaximusD163

Why do you say you don’t know he’s what we want? Just curious

5. MaximusD163

I would also assume the Jets got a WR in FA before the draft though

6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I see a lot of coverage sacks. Whispers of some character concerns too.

7. CotcheryFan

Our WR group is so weak that an argument could be made to sign a FA and draft one early. Imagine a WR room that has Robinson, Chase, Crowder, and Mims.

8. MaximusD163

Which one isn’t getting on the field? 4 Wide sets are not super common even if they are a part of your offense. I would rather make the same situation except with a 2nd/3rd round WR if Robinson is in the mix.

9. CotcheryFan

They don't have to be on the field at the same time. There should be enough targets for each. On some plays, it could be Robinson, Chase, and Crowder. On others, it could be Crowder, Mims, and Robinson.

10. MaximusD163

To me that doesn’t make sense. What’s the point? You play your top guys as much as possible. When Mike Evans and Chris Godwin are playing, does one sub out? If Mims has a bad season it might be different but the expectation is for him to produce when he’s out there.

11. Still no weapons..so likely realistic.

12. CotcheryFan

We need WR's who can help in the short term and long term. The Steelers have Smith Schuster, Johnson, Washington, and Claypool.

13. Its a game of match ups now. Even your top guys are gonna have weeks in this league when things arent favorable schematically or physically.

Its also a position where depth & versatility is crucial. Most Personnel/coaches believe you are trying to create a Basketball starting 5 w your WR group.

Offenses have to be equipped to not only adjust schematically but also w personnel on the boundary to find the best matchup.

Just having 3 good WRs isnt gonna cut it.Now w 2 good TEs & acouple RBs thrown in maybe.But even so..have to have guys who run different types of routes,beat different types of defenders in different situations. Doesnt matter if its Julio Jones or Clyde Gates

14. MaximusD163

In 2020:
    -J. Smith-Schuster: 2017 2nd Round (1 year remaining)
    -J. Washington: 2018 2nd Round (2 years remaining)
    -D. Johnson: 2019 3rd Round (3 years remaining)
    -C. Claypool: 2020 2nd Round (4 years remaining)

Notice something? Their corps is made of 2nd and 3rd rounders, they continue to dip into the draft for. Smith-Schuster is a FA this year. They cycle through the guys.

Your prospected corps would be in 2021:
    -A. Robinson: Expensive Free Agent
    -J. Chase: High 1st Round
    -J. Crowder: Expensive Free Agent
    -D. Mims: 2020 2nd Round

You could do this if you want but it makes more sense to me to go for a FA WR and then go WR in round 2 or 3. Develop him a year.

15. Dont doubt that Rousseau will be a great player in the NFL but im not entirely sure his “game” is the stud 2 way edge rusher we all crave.

He doesnt beat alot of OTs clean around the edge either w his get off or speed/ankle flex. You’d like to see that skillset from a potential top 5 pick.Most of his sacks lined up wide are on inside counter moves or the combination of having good lane discipline & change of direction when QB initially gets flushed. He beats guys much cleaner as an interior pass rusher.

All & all i think hes a guy that needs the right DC that will move him all around the front of the D depending on match up.If expecting a 7-10 sacks a yr guy who gets consistent pressure lining up solely at DE we’ll be disappointed. If he can solely play one position in the NFL & cant move around my guess is hes a Strong side OLB in a 3-4 D

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just getting "a WR" isn't enough. Watching the game today should prove to you that the Jets need quality WRs. Your disrespect for the WR position is ridiculous. I would absolutely hate this draft. Rousseau is the best Edge available, but imo he's not worthy of a pick that high especially after sitting out this season.

I haven't spent much time on the 2021 draft yet, but I still think it best to keep McGovern at C, and draft OGs. I don't know if there will be any decent Edge rushers or CBs at the Seattle pick, but that's where I'd go with that pick rather than a C.

I don't know anything about the TE you have the Packers taking at #31, but if he's that good, then he ought to be the Jets choice, not Myers, particularly if they did take Rousseau over Chase, but imo should be the pick even if they took Chase earlier. This offense needs weapons.

#16 NCJetsfan, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    blackssmagic likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you're talking about the Steelers who have one of, if not the best eyes for WR talent in the NFL. The Jets aren't that, and right now, aside from Crowder and maybe Mims, they don't have much at WR. J. Smith might prove to be a good #4 or #5 WR, but with this being a passing league, the Jets need to get a Hopkins or Fitzgerald, a WR that the QB can always count on.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Jets aren’t winning a game.. we are picking Lawrence #1 and turning this ship around