2020 salary cap guru's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stagman, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Does anyone know what our 2020 salary cap is going to look like? I'm aware of Trumaine Johnson's nightmare contract, do we save money if we release Beachum, Kalil and others? Thank you.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

3. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I don't know the details of the contract, but hopefully they can get out of it for next year without eating the full amount.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Trumaine is a 15m cap hit.
    Kalil is on a 1 year deal this year.
    Beachum's contract is up.

So we're only looking at 15m in dead money between the 3 players you mentioned.

5. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

That is if we cut him? If that is the case I say we make him a special team player. Unless he turns his career around.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Excuse me. I gave the wrong information. It's 12m cap hit if we cut him. If he's on the roster he's 15m.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not looking good. won't be able to land much. lots of FAs for us we need to replace

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. Beki

Beki Active Member

Biggest cap space can be freed via releasing below players:
    Osemele - 11.7M
    Winters - 7.5M
    Williamson - 6.5M
    Roberts - 6M

Cutting TruJo would only save 3M.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Given we need an entirely new O-Line, wouldn't be shocked if both Winters/Osemele are cut.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If you thought we had a bunch of players come into the fold this year, wait till the next offseason where we need to pretty much bring in half a roster. Sad, but this is what happens when you haven't drafted well in a decade.

Joe Douglas is going to have to pull a miracle to get this team competing any time soon.

FJF, wewantsapp, JetBlue and 2 others like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Trumaine is actually only $12 mill. His salary isn't guaranteed for next season so only the remaining signing bonus would be counted as dead money

Edit: didn't see your update prior to posting this

12. TonyFtLaud

Roughly $45 mill after draft class, 31 free agents to replace. Don't think we're going to have many big signings. One maybe 2 , and lots of roster churning to find players who hopefully fit.

#12 TonyFtLaud, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but TruJo still needs to go. He's a waste of a roster space, and keeping him would send the wrong signal to the rest of the team.

14. NCJetsfan

I don't think we are going to be able to have an entirely new OL. We're probably going to have to keep at least 2 of them, if not 3. I don't think Osemele has been nearly as bad as the other OL. Hopefully, they can negotiate an extension of his contract and lower his cap hit. Shell, if his contract request is reasonable, is serviceable for another year or two. Beacham is gone and Kalil is gone. Winters should be gone as he will free up a nice chunk of cap space.

15. GasedAndConfused

If we do the june 1st designation cut or trade option though, he would only count 4mil against the 2020 cap in dead money for a savings of 11 mil in 2020, then count 8 mil in dead money in 2021. The savings/dead money are obviously the same overall, however it gives us more room in 2020 that way and makes it more feasible. Funny enough poole who only costs us like 3 mil has been our best CB this season. Skrine has also played really well in chicago this season too.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

the good news is we have a few superstars locked down already (bell, mosely), some good young talent on cheap rookie deals (darnold, Q williams, adams, maye) so we can replace role players with other role players that fit our systems better. I wouldn't be surprised if we switched to a 4-3 either next year. leo walks, mclendon retires, Q williams and anderson at DT. jenkins at DE with maybe luvu on the other side. Williamson gets released to save money. mosely in the middle and hewitt and cashman at OLB

17. NCJetsfan

Skrine has not played really well in Chicago. His stupid penalty almost cost Chicago the game on Sunday, and probably should have.

18. NCJetsfan

I can't see our switching to a 4-3 full time next season. I don't think Mosley would be nearly as effective as the MLB in a 4-3 as he is as an ILB in a 3-4. I don't think Anderson would be very effective as a DT, and can't see any kind of pass rush with Luvu and Jenkins as starting DEs.

19. TonyFtLaud

Unless Johnson really improves ,I can't see anyone trading for him. The June 1 designation makes sense,especially with 2021 likely to be lost to a strike

20. GasedAndConfused

that's 1 penalty. did garett play bad with 2 RTP penalties or did he play good with 3 sacks and constant pressure? bears D is only letting up 12 points a game which is 3rd best in the NFL and they played 1 game against GB already too. pretty impressive and no way they do that if skrine was playing badly.

The pats are #1 in PPG allowed with a 1.5 average (3 to pitt, then shut out miami) and they play the jets next. there is sadly a good chance NE's D will average 1 PPG allowed after 3 weeks