2020 NY Jets Purge

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 11, 2019.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I know there's a lot of frustration right now with some of the current roster issues, but with almost 100% certainty I think next offseason will be an even bigger purge/rebuilding/reorganization than we had this year. The following are reasons why I think the turnover will be more dramatic and why we should be optimistic as fans:

1) Our new GM, front office have no loyalty to anyone on the roster--I would even include coaches but that fact that Joe and Adam are friends will play there. But clearly this roster is not structured the way Joe would do it. He's a credible organization builder and we should trust this going forward.

2) Adam Gase isn't satisfied with the roster and that's obvious. One could even argue how committed he is to Sam, depending on if options presented themselves.

3) We have a lot of players that are under performing from what they are paid and there's a chance the front office would want to swap them with drafted players or free agents.

We will have about 50 mil to play with next year, but this could be drastically more if we let players walk, release players or trade them. I'm going to list players that are at risk of being cut, traded, or allowed to walk next off-season and why there's that great probability:

Tru Johnson (released): Goes without saying and would give us big cap relief
    Quincy Enunwa (released): Health risk
    Avery Williamson (released/traded): Has a bigger cap number and is coming off injury
    K. Beachum (allowed to walk): Overrated and will be overpriced, plus older
    Ryan Kalil (allowed to walk): Clearly short term and will be expensive again
    Leonard WiIliams (allowed to walk): Will be pricey and we have depth there
    Robby Anderson (allowed to walk/traded): Still a one trick pony and Gase already critical
    Luvu/Copland/Hewitt (allowed to walk): These guys all fall into this same grouping and are all FA's...could be upgraded via draft...might resign Hewitt
    Brandon Shell (might resign but secure): I like Brandon but they might try to upgrade
    Kicker: Most likely will be a new guy

I could go on with depth guys, but there's no need. The point I am making is this off-season was considered to be our big turnover with the cap space, but I would argue that we could see what SHOULD have been this off-season happen next year.

Joe could make this an entire new team next year, let's enjoy watching the process and trust we have the right guy in charge now.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

While impossible to know for certain which would be the right course of action, if it comes down to Gase or Darnold, I would side with Darnold. Having said that, this should be Douglas's show. But he better not put personal loyalties over the good of the team.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I was gonna do an offseason thread but decided to wait. with that said to reply to the discussion, You are off base on a few of these guys

Tru - not going anywhere. 1st off he would only save 3 million. capwise which isn't even enough to sign a decent replacement. his "out" is 2021 offseason at the earliest. Also that would leave Roberts as the #1 CB on the roster and also means we would only have 2 CBs on the roster (him and maulet). The reality is we will cut roberts who is just bad and would save us 6 mil in 2020 with 0 dead cap. roberts deal is a year to year prove it deal.

Williams - this one is iffy, I do think he will be allowed to walk or tagged and traded but only because we are cap strapped. I think douglas should be able to to tag him and get at least a 2nd rounder for him in a trade. If we walks we'll get a 3rd round comp pick most likely for him in 2 years

Robby - no way we don't bring back robby. he's ont a "1 trick pony" he's our best WR and has great chemistry with sam. with enunwa out, DT is a 1 year loaner. that puts w/o robby on the orster only crowder and bellamy at WR. letting robby walk is a bad move.

Luvu/Hewitt - I think we resign both to smaller deals. no reason to let them walk. hewitt has played very well when called upon and is currently our starting ILB with williamson out. I think we move on form williamson and make hewitt the starter at ILB alongside mosely with cashman as the main back-up and sub LBer. Luvu has potential at OLB and no way we let him walk. he doesn't cost much and we are thin at the position.

Shell - it's 50/50 for shell. reality is we have 3 starters on the o-line as FAs next offseason (both tackles and C) we can't replace all 3. Ideally edoga takes over at RT and we use our 1st rounder on a LT (it's a great year to draft a LT in the 1st round) so I do think we let him walk but if JD thinks edoga isn't ready to start he could keep shell on as insurance.

Kicker - I'd like to draft one in the 5th or later rounds personally and get a cheap rookie instead of recycling all these iffy guys. Blakenship looks like he could be an NFL kicker and there are about 3-4 other guys we could try out as well and have a competition next year with 2 rookie kickers and maybe bring in 1 vet as well

BonScott likes this.
  4. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Magic mike gave us a shit roster.... no O-line help no kicker, no CB Help,WR depth ...mike should have been fired with toilet bowels ..... but i give chris J Credit for not going any farther with magic mike.... im just hoping to see some improvement with sam and he doesnt get hurt with this O-Line...it will take Douglas a yr to fix the crap MM left behind

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He specifically cited Sam as the main reason he wanted to come to the Jets.

If he replaces him, his lie is in the public domain.

It would be catastrophic for him here. No chance Sam goes anywhere.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How about you let them play a few weeks before deciding all of their 2020 fates? :confused:

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would like to see Avery Williamson stay a Jet for a long time.

Robby Anderson and Leonard Williams have 15 more games to earn their keep before we make any decisions there.

BonScott, BacktoQueens and BudJet like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First of all that $50 million in cap space is with only 32 players under contract. Among those 21 players they'd need to replace could be as many as eight starters (Leonard Williams, Kelvin Beacham, Ryan Kalil, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Robby Anderson, Brian Poole and Steve McLendon). Hopefully Q Williams will replace McLendon, and hopefully Edoga could replace Shell, but we don't have anyone to replace any of the other six. Also included in those 21 are key backups and STers like Montgomery, Compton, Alex Lewis, Demaryius Thomas, Trevor Siemian, Rontez Miles, Copeland, Hewitt, Qvale, Ryan Griffin, Bilal Powell, Daniel Brown, Lachlan Edwards, Thomas Hennessy, and Sam Ficken. That's pretty much all of our OL depth, 1/2 of our RB corps, All of our LB depth, 1/2 of our TEs, and depth at S and CB. STs would be hit hard. Any players not brought back means that's more players that have to be replaced. At this point I think we only have picks in rounds 1-5, but I could be mistaken. Even 21 players is a lot to replace. Having to replace another 3-4 starters would make it even harder.

Mac screwed us on Trumaine Johnson. He needs to go, but we'd only have a $3 million cap savings and would take a $12 million dead money hit.

With Enunwa, we'd save $2.4 million and take a $5.4 million dead money hit.

Cutting Avery Williamson would save us $6.5 million on the cap and cost us $2 million dead money.

Will Douglas or Chris Johnson go for $19.4 million in dead money on the cap? That's a lot to ask. Enunwa should retire, but I don't know if that gives the Jets any cap relief. Avery could be back, or the Jets could hate it, but feel they have no choice but to bring Trumaine Johnson back. They'll most likely be replacing Roberts, so I'd be surprised if we have two new starters at CB unless Hairston or Austin can step up and take the #2 CB spot. They may think about moving Johnson to the #2 CB spot and signing a FA or drafting a CB in hopes that he would be their new #1 CB.

Shell could be easily upgraded, but with their needing a new LT and C for certain, and probably a new RG, I doubt they'd move on from Shell unless he wants too much money. Retaining Osemele and Shell would at least keep some continuity on the OL.

Kalil will be a FA. I doubt that he will be back, but there will be no cap savings.

With Williams and Anderson, I think it greatly depends on how they play the rest of the season and what they're looking for in their next contract. If either have a subpar year and/or expect too much money, then one or both will be gone. I think Anderson will probably be back. Williams, I'm less sure about.

I don't see Luvu, Copland and Hewitt all being gone. All are good depth, none is that expensive. All will be FAs, so maybe only 1-2 of them will be brought back. Douglas is going to have more important things to address in the draft than LB depth. We need a new starting LT, C and RG, and possibly even LG and RT. Osemele cut be cut and the Jets would save $11.7 million on the cap with no dead money, but right now, he's probably our best OL and the only one that's really worth keeping as a starter. Still, saving that much money could be tempting. Maybe they re-negotiate his deal and extend him, lowering his cap hit. If they cut Brian Winters, that would give them a cap savings of $7.5 million with no dead money hit. I think he's probably a goner.

Cutting Darryl Roberts would give them a $6 million cap savings with no dead money.

Cutting Josh Bellamy would give them a $2.25 million cap savings with no dead money. The same goes for Jonotthan Harrison.

So if Enunwa retires and the Jets get no cap relief, Johnson and Williamson are back, and the Jets cut Roberts, Winters, Bellamy and Harrison, that would give them an additional $20.4 million in cap space, and we'd have around $70.6 million in cap space. If we get cap relief for Enunwa retiring, that could give us another $5.4 million. If they decide not to bring Williamson back that would give them another $6.5 million with which to work. That could very well depend upon how much Cashman develops and how well he plays.

A lot of their decisions will probably depend upon whom becomes a FA and whom they like in the draft.

A lot can happen between now and then...injuries, young players step up, some potential FAs play great while others bottom out. It's definitely worth considering and talking about later in the season, but as The Dark Knight said, it's a little too early to really be able to discuss this with any knowledge of how players will play or whom will even be on the roster and PS by year's end.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I dont want Gase as my coach....

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

WarriorRB28

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

o_O

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Making major roster decisions based off the first game? You are not a front office fanatic ;)

13. GasedAndConfused

great post. I've been saying we are cap strapped next offseason but everyone ignores it. You are correct that we don't have any picks past round 5 (jets won't get a comp pick in 2020 and we traded our 6th to the colts for hairston and our 7th to the ravens for lewis)

The team isn't looking that bad though Ideally i would think enunwa retires. As far as I know that means he is dead money for 5.4 million. Here is the big issue with enunwas contract. his 2020 salary (6mil) is guaranteed for injury and becomes fully guaranteed on 03-22-20. You also cannot release an injured player unless they come to an injury settlement which players will only do if they plan to come back and play soon. In other words, we are fully on the hook to pay enunwa 6 mil next year. The only 2 outs are if we could swing a trade (and I don't see why any team would trade for him coming off a 2nd neck injury) or if he retires. Other then that enunwa winds up being a cap hit of 7.8 mil and we can't do anything about it.

Looking past enunwa right now we have about 7.2mil in cap space we can carry over so that should almost cover the rookies. So we'll say that takes care of the rookie pool for the time being that leaves us about 56 mil for next off season. We can save 6 mil by cutting roberts, save 6.5mil by cutting williamson, 7.5 mil by cutting winters. I'd also say if JD is smart he'll extend osemele a couple of years and lower his 2020 cap hit in the process so lets call it a 3 million savings restructure. That gives us 79 million to work with.

I'd focus on the starters so these are the big people to resign and their estimated average salary (note contracts can be structured for a lower upfront cap hit as well)

Robby - 12 mil
    Jenkins - 9 mil
    Poole - 4 mil
    Hewitt (replaces williamson as a starter) - 4 mil
    Edwards - 2.5 mil

Thats a total of 31.5 mil leaving us 47.5 mil to address the rest of the "holes" and for depth guys
    I think we tag and trade leo for a 2nd rounder

As far as holes go, I'll assume edoga takes the RT job.
    that means we have holes at WR2, LT, C, RG, CB2, D-line (since leo and mclendon will be gone. position depends how williams uses Q)
    "upgrade spots" would be OLB
    Depth Spots RB, TE, WR, CB, QB

It's a good o-line draft and especially with an extra 2nd rounder and possible even trading back we should be able to land 2 starters if not 3 on the o-line and a depth CB, WR, and RB

For free agents at OLB there is fowler, von miller, clowney,
    for CB there is harris jr, haden
    for LT i'd take a look at greg robinson (kick to the face aside) there is also constazno

In short, we are cap strapped but sitll in a good enough position and with some good draft picks and this being a great draft for o-line coming up we can rebuild the o-line and add in a playmaker or 2 but ti's gonna take some luck and some good moved by JD

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Draft this beast.
    [​IMG]

15. FrontOfficeFanatic

Thanks for the detailed analysis! I think with Williams and Robby, I would be fine seeing them leave if we received valuable draft compensation in return: Rounds 1-3 and possibly a package of picks...maybe like a 3rd and 5th for Robby would get it done. The reason I feel this way is because I have a lot of faith in our current front office to draft really well. Cutting Tru could be tough, but if he has another bad year it wouldn't surprise me at all. Luvu/Hewitt on team friendly deals might be solid moves--particularly if they cannot be upgraded. And you and I see Shell the same way.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Things like this is why you axe your GM if you don't have 100% confidence in him. Now, I am not saying Mac made all bad moves in fact Mosley, Bell, and Crowder all played big roles last week, but he failed to address our biggest needs and locked up a lot of cap money into players. Fortunately some of that money can be salvaged, but Douglas will absolutely have to hit on his draft picks and signing next year. Not saying its impossible but its that much harder because Mac committed money to the wrong places.

17. FrontOfficeFanatic

Agree with all of this! I would have loved to see what Douglas could have done with all that money and draft pick. Right now--I'm not a fan of the last Mac draft either.

18. GasedAndConfused

we can't trade them lol we could only get comp picks. which aren't even the year we lose them but the year after and the highest we could get is a 3rd.

19. GasedAndConfused

I disagree with the "wrong places" thing. there is no such thing as that. every position plays it part, fans just tend to like the "sexier" positions and value them over the "blue colllar" ones. The NFL, teams, and HCs don't. it's an odd fan thing. Outside of that though, I agree with you

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. Great post yourself! The one thing you didn't mention is OL depth. I think we'd be very lucky to get two OL starters out of the draft, much less 3, but even if we did, that doesn't replace depth as both Compton and Lewis will be FAs, and Harrison could be replaced/upgraded pretty easily. The Jets could perhaps re-sign both Compton and Lewis, but ideally, they'd upgrade the depth if at all possible.

I'm also not so sure that we'll have around $7 million to carry over. It's a long season, and a player or two could get injured go on IR and the Jets need to replace them. Hopefully, we'll be able to carry that money over, but I wouldn't count on it.