2020 NFL Draft Standouts: 1-5

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, May 11, 2020.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/5/11/21253523/2020-nfl-draft-standouts-1-5

4) Denzel Mims WR Baylor 6’ 2 7/8” 207 lbs (New York Jets; Round 2; Pick 59)

Mims is a dynamic playmaker who has only scratched the surface of his talents. A former high school QB who injured his arm throwing a baseball, Mims has only played receiver since he was a sophomore in high school. He has slowly built his frame gaining 35 lbs of muscle since his freshman year at Baylor. He has long arms 33 1/2” with a large catching radius.

He is exceptional at making contested catches. A natural hands catcher, he will catch nearly every ball away from his body. He is too powerful for press coverage, and his hand usage is elite, knocking down the hands of corners and using his length to keep defenders from impeding him. He is fast. He won his 200 meter state championship in Texas by over 20 meters. He ran 100 meters in 10.88 seconds when he was in high school.

He is a vertical receiver who can run by most defenders and attack all three levels of the defense. Of his 24 receiving TDs at Baylor, 16 came within 22 yards of the endzone showing he is not just a vertical threat. He has tremendous leaping ability and could be a demon in the red zone. He is said to be very coachable, a team player who just wants to win. He has worked hard to change himself from a QB to a game changing receiver in a short period of time.

He was said by some scouting reports to have poor hands, but I think those were erroneous. As a senior Mims had 66 receptions for 1,020 yards and 12 TDs in 13 games despite being the obvious threat on the field. He had a total of 5 dropped passes. (By the way he played the majority of the year with a broken hand.) He didn’t make it known because he didn’t want to make excuses. He is a tough kid who has a super high ceiling and got better every year in college.

There is an added bonus as he comes to New York with a chip on his shoulder as you can see in this video: ().

Mims has excellent body control as you can see here. This was in the waning seconds of the game that Baylor was able to eventually win. This catch would have been good in the NFL as he was able to get both feet in bounds during the catch.

Mims is still developing, but he has a skillset that is near unmatched by any other receiver in this class. I did extensive scouting on Mims. He was a standout performer all season with a suspect QB who ran the ball himself over 10 times a game. Mims was dinged because he played in the Big XII which tends to increase receiving production. Still I was really shocked that 13 receivers were selected before Mims. I am sure this infuriates him to no end.

I had Mims much higher on my big board than #59 where he was selected. I am fairly confident that in 5 years people will be wondering how the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Chase Claypool over Mims in the 2020 NFL Draft.

If Sam Darnold is given time in the pocket to throw, I think Mims will have a monster year. Even though practice time and training camp may be shortened I believe that with Mims’ physical abilities he will shine.

Everyone is gifting the Offensive Rookie of the Year award to Joe Burrow because he is in the best position to start and lead his team, but I think the Bengals will still be awful this year which could open the award up to someone else. That someone could be the 13th receiver taken in the draft. People will be wondering how or why did he drop that far.

#1 BudJet, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

To me those calls are so awkward

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So awkward in fact you just know Christopher Johnson sucks on a dance floor. I don't know why I thought that when I saw his stupid face, but now that I put that in everyone's head, c'mon, you're picturing it right this very minute. And it's to 'Gonna Make You Sweat (Everbody Dance Now'. Don't bother lying about it.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fucking awful is more the truth.

5. Footballgod214

Yup. You can tell the only thing the player wants is to celebrate with his fam. But has to sit through a painful phone call with 4 dudes from his new team. "I'm looking for a playmaker...did I find out?" .....so stupid!

If I were GM I wouldn't even call the dude. Let him find out when his name is called on the TV! Then call him like 30 minutes later when he can talk a bit.

K'OB likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I guess I’m in the minority but I think those calls are usually awesome. You get to watch someone’s dream come true. Becton’s call was great and I think it was Zuniga or maybe Clark who had to keep telling his mom to be quiet because she was crying so loud.

Mr mittens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Denzel definitely low keyed it excepted when he said "other teams are gonna pay for it!" haha

Hmm..I wonder if he knew Bryce Petty or was he too young?

8. K'OB

Have we got ourselves a playmaker?
    Nope
    Oh, er shit, we made a mistake then

Are you excited to be joining the Jets?
    No, I was hoping for a chance of success.
    Oh er, sorry about that, well you're stuck here for 5 years now Jamal, unlucky.

:rolleyes:

9. BroadwayAaron

well that’s why I said usually and not always. When they are good they are very good. Maybe it’s just because of my line of work but when you can make larger than life people seem like normal people that fans can relate to, that’s a good thing.

Mr mittens likes this.
  10. K'OB

It was a joke Mr Serious ;)

All you here is formulaic yes sirs and I'm so excited yada yada yada

I am admittedly a cynical shit though.

They just look forced and a little fake to me.

11. Footballgod214

Hilarioius!

K'OB likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

i was semi agreeing with you. Mims call was awful. I get the “chip on the shoulder” thing but you could have just as easily taken it as “he really doesn’t give a shit”

K'OB likes this.
  13. K'OB

It was underwhelming in the extreme and if it wasn't for the chip on the shoulder thing as an excuse it would have been flat out embarrassing, it was bad enough as it was tbh.

14. Footballgod214

I'm excited about Mims but we could still use more weapons. JD should trade with Carolina Panthers for Robbie Anderson. Kid is tall and FAST and has great hands!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

I’ve seen a lot of this Anderson kid. Definitely doesn’t have great hands, doesn’t really run routes all that well and kind of a dope off the field.

16. WHAT?!

Players wait their whole lives for that call! You dont think they appreciate a minute or 2 from the front office to say welcome to the NFL lets get it?! If you dont think theyre soaking it up & loving “the call” theyve dreamnt of since High school you’re crazy. & dont understand players mindset & the grueling process to get to the NFL

It’s no different than being offered a D1 scholarship/roster spot from a college HC.Its a tremendous honor & a big moment.Some players dont WANNA get off the phone cause theyre so pumped.

These calls dont exist for your entertainment.Sorry to Disappoint you.They never even used to be shared w the media.

17. Footballgod214

I never said to skip the call. I suggested letting the player hear his name from the comiss with tons of screaming and celebrating from friends and fam. Then, 10 mins later the HC/GM/Owner calls to welcome the kid to the team after his fam has calmed down a bit so he can enjoy the phone call.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It would be great if somebody got so nervous they had a cursing fit that couldn't get bleeped out fast enough. Does anyone know that cooking show 'Pioneer Woman'? The old man always makes me laugh because whenever I happen to land on it he goes, "She doesn't fool me for a minute with her wholesomeness and her Church potluck suppers and all that. She's bitchy when that camera stops rolling, believe it."

Then he starts putting on a woman's voice and imitating her at the same time, cursing and ordering people around. There's something about when men put on a woman's voice that makes me shriek like hell. I don't know why, but I think it's so funny. I'm going somewhere with this.

So last week, lo and behold, because of Coronapalooza, her kids are filming the episode because they can't have a camera crew in the house to a large degree. It's 100% live. She's pouring some stuff from a big huge bowl into a baking pan, she lost her grip, and some of it spilled all over the counter. "SHIT!" "Ahhhhhhh! I told you! I told you! I fucking told you! Bitchy Ree Drummond!" Hahahahaha.