2019 - Who’s Backing up Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GQMartin, Aug 20, 2018.

?

Who’s Backing Up Sam?

1. Josh McCown

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Draft Pick

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Journeyman Veteran (Not McCown)

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

In this scenario Teddy is gone (love you Teddy).

Personally, I think the Jets address OL and WR in the draft. Edge is addressed in free agency. Therefore, the coaching staff and front office are on notice (pressure to show increased progress - I.E winning record, playoffs?). This only means one thing for me...provided he’s healthy, McCown is back.

My rationale being, the staff will want someone comfortable with the system and ready to go in an emergency situation. With their jobs on the line they fall into their comfort zone.

That being said, I’d prefer the Jets target a QB eligible for the draft in 2019 and use a mid round pick for the selection.

What do you think the Jets do?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Too early to think about this, as the 2018 season hasn't even started yet, but I bet the 2019 back-up QB is not currently on the roster.

matt robinson 17 and GQMartin like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't think McCown will be back unless it's as QB Coach. I think the Jets will bring in a veteran QB to back up Sam and then they'll draft a developmental QB somewhere around the 4th-6th round.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It will be McCown

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unless McCown is suddenly willing to take an $8 million pay cut I don't see it being him. Even if he was willing I don't see it - the Jets would want someone who could be around a while as a backup, and that's not him.

GQMartin likes this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

McCown will probably be here but as some member of the coaching staff. We'll bring in someone like Austin Davis or Matt Schaub

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Mike Gosh! Glennon

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm not too sure. There probably won't be any really good available backup options to select from.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

But imo the real question should be, who will be Sam Darnold's blind side pass protecting LT come 2019?

And I hope to the football God's that it's 6'8/327 lb OT out of Washington in Trey Adams who falls to us; just as Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams & Sam Darnold all have.

As of right now he's currently my favorite o-line prospect heading into 2018's college season but I'm also very high on two SEC OT's and very intrigued to follow their on field growth and overall development throughout the 2018 NCAA season.

Greg Little out of Ole' Miss. Only 20 years of age and 6'6 325 lbs. Former 2x USA High School All-American and current 1x All-SEC Second Team (2017).

Jonah Williams out of Alabama. 20 years of age and 6'5 301 lbs. 1x USA High School All-American, 1x Second-team All-SEC (2016), 1x Third-team All-American (2017), 1x First-team All-SEC (2017) and 1x NCAA National Champion (2017).

Trey Adams (Washington).
    Greg Little (Ole Miss).
    Jonah Williams (Alabama).

Should be awesome to see which one is able to distinguish themselves as being the hands down, can't miss and true #1 OT prospect of 2019's draft class.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Can't really say until we see Darnold's play this year but I think they grab a late round QB. McCown will be gone but they probably also bring in a cheap vet and training camp will decide if the vet or draft pick backs him up.
    Of course PhillyStaxx has to try and make the thread completely about something else with his wikipedia post about OTs

playtowinthegame, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Geezuz Christ. Gotta hand it to him, the kids unflappable.

stinkyB, NYJetsO12 and Harpua like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ahahaha

Sam flapped his way right into Macagnans lap

First of all, The Jets would be smart to keep TB unless you get a First or second or combo thereof for him

Of course, for that to happen some healthy starter let's say Joe Flacco has to land on his back for the Season. The Ravens could take a chance with rookie L Jackson but I doubt it..

Come the end of preseason i don't think Macagnan is stupid enough to let Bridgewater go without high compensation. At that point, He will want a Vet..don't know what journeyman ..to back up Sam

So to answer the question the answer is Bridgewater till further notice...

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

To be fair. I don't think it's too early at all. The front office should already be planning this if they don't have plan A, B & C already.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm a huge believer in contingency planning.

14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

True or False: Jets don’t have a QB coach. I believe Bates is sort of functioning as both. I think they want to groom McCown as a QB coach in the near future, depending on how long he wants to keep the pads on. If he still wants to I think they give him every opportunity to stay as a back up. If he wants to retire and become a coach I think they would give him the job.

Drafting a QB next year would be a waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Unless Macc changes his MO, he's not gonna have the DP to use on a rookie Qb anyway. Most likely he'll go the UDFA route. The real question is how much draft capital, if any, is Macc willing to spend on the OLine in 2019.

16. Little is my #1 bc hes the most athletic & fits the Jets Zbs the best.He is much more agile & athletic than the other 2. Williams is a very good player & looks like a surefire franchise OT.Hes got a thick build & is very stout.Hes alittle bit of a better fit in a man blocking scheme than what the Jets are running.Adams looks like a1st rounder too but he didnt impress me quite as much physically as Little & Williams

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Tannehill will be the Jets backup next year.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Mark Sanchez......The Samchise and Sanchise will be the best 1-2 QB punch in the league

FJF likes this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

FYP

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OT.php

20. Rollo Tomassi

I actually thought he'd be a decent pickup for the 4th preseason game, then he has to sit for the first 4 games this year for PEDs. Not a bad third stringer. And I think the fanbase would embrace him.