2019 Supplemental Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 20, 2019.

1. https://www.google.com/amp/s/titans...-name-emerges-2019-upplemental-nfl-draft/amp/

As the article suggests this could become a much more meaningful scenario in the coming years w 2-3 players actually getting taken annually.

W where the Jets are at roster wise,Douglas likely eager to upgrade a few spots if there are any OL,WR,DBs or edge w 4th round grades or better i would not be surprised to see the Jets make a bid on a player.

jilozzo likes this.

2. First guy to enter Marcus Simms WR WVU

Pretty good speed over the top,also good after the catch & in short areas. Not much of a route tree & no idea if he can beat press.Also supposedly has off the field issues

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like his tape above, and that he has been a KR/PR. He looks to have good hands, has some elusiveness, but if he has off-field issues (which he does have), I can't see Douglas taking him. He is on record as wanting high character types.

Following are some tidbits I found.

https://titansized.com/2019/06/20/first-name-emerges-2019-upplemental-nfl-draft/

[​IMG]
    Tony Pauline@TonyPauline

Multiple sources tell me Marcus Simms/WR/West Virginia very likely to enter the supplemental draft next month- about 99%. Given a 6th round grade by scouts but has a lot of character issues. Hearing of a few other names that could enter next month's draft.

Simms led the Big 12 in punt returns and kick returns in 2017, and has some impressive plays where he makes the first defender miss before getting upfield and eating up free yards. On top of that, he only has one fumble over the past few years despite being used as a receiver, punt returner and kick returner.

1 fumble in 153 touches in his college career is pretty impressive, especially when you consider how frequently those shifty guys carry the ball away from their body.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sport...cle_f8df6a4a-2973-51c0-97ca-f60fd4f02c70.html

A 6-foot, 195-pound native of Bowie, Maryland, Simms becomes the first player to emerge in connection with the supplemental draft. The NFL held its annual draft in April, but the supplemental draft is a means by which underclassmen can enter the league after the deadline to enter the NFL’s regular draft passes.

The deadline to enter the regular NFL draft was Jan. 14, and Simms at the time originally planned to return for his senior season and play for first-year coach Neal Brown. Later, Simms opted to enter the NCAA transfer portal.

Simms played three seasons at WVU, last year catching 46 passes for 699 yards and two touchdowns. As a sophomore, he grabbed 35 passes for 663 yards and five TDs and led the Big 12 in kickoff return yardage, bringing back 31 kickoffs for 816 yards, a 26.3 average.

He missed WVU’s Camping World Bowl game against Syracuse in December following a concussion suffered in the Mountaineers’ Nov. 23 game against Oklahoma. He also missed all but two of WVU’s spring practices this year due to a hamstring injury and a personal matter.

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/06/20/former-wvu-receiver-marcus-simms-nfl-supplemental-draft/

Simms’ ability to play elsewhere next season — even at the FCS level — was clouded by his connection to an alleged violation of West Virginia’s student code of conduct that would have affected his eligibility since transfers still need to be in good academic standing.

Simms finished his West Virginia career with 87 career receptions for 1,457 yards and eight touchdowns.

Simms caught WVU’s previous coaching staff by surprise when he pulled himself from the lineup shortly before the Camping World Bowl against Syracuse due to a hamstring injury. He missed all but two of WVU’s spring practices, first to deal with the hamstring and then for what Brown categorized as a personal issue. At the end of April, Simms announced that he was entering the transfer portal.

NFL Draft | WVU WR Marcus Simms arrested for DUI - Rotoworld.com

www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/70073/wvu-wr-marcus-simms-arrested-for-dui

WVU WR Marcus Simms arrested for DUI In-depth NFL Draft news complete with Senior, Junior, Sophomore and Freshmen rankings.

[When I clicked on the link, it took me 3 times to Rotoworld.com's home page and there was no mention of Simms. The last time, it took me to a page on WVU and had several short articles regarding Simms, but nothing regarding the arrest for DUI. That is strange. My antivirus software also blocked an attempt to load a Trojan on my computer from this site, so beware!

4. Minus the off the field i could see Gase & Co liking him given his quickness & short area ability. Still i dont see them taking a chance on a guy whose upside looks like a #3 on his best day w off the field.

Ive been reading for awhile that Syracuse has a draftable LB who is expected to enter...Looking forward to seeing who else enters.Pauline has hinted there are a few others..hoping an OL or DB pops up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Simms had 2 DUIs in 4 months. First one was dismissed, second is for smoking and driving, not sure of outcome.

Leicester Jet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

please Joe douglas, in the name of rob moore don't touch the supplemental draft and instead sit tight and use your picks on the 2020 class with its better-than-2019 group of OTs, #1 WRs, CBs and at C (Biadasz in 2020 will be picked about where Bradbury was in '19 when April comes around).

2019 had everyone tripping over Jawaan Taylor who ended up going in the 2nd. When the Houston Texans decided to pick choppy 'n sloppy-footed Tytus Howard (a 2-3 yr. project) with the #23 overall pick that alone suggested the '19 OT class wasn't all it was cracked up to be, e.g. last year's Tytus Howard 2020 upgrade is behemoth Mekhi Becton (Louisville).