2019 NFL Week 5: New York Jets @ Phildalephia Eagles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Well we should be well rested for this game…and that’s the end of the good news.

We should face the fact that Sam won’t be playing. At least, since he still has a no contact order he shouldn’t play this game. Coming back this week would likely be a bad idea.

So let’s assume its Luke Falk again, which is not entirely bad. Remember, his first start was against a defense which has only allowed 1 TD in 4 games. That’s a pretty tough way to break into the NFL. This week should give us a better idea of Luke Falk.

So how do we generate offense? That is a tough one.

Our offensive line has struggled badly to protect the QB. We are averaging just over 4 sacks allowed a game. However, this will be a good test to see if our line used the bye week to gel better because the Eagles are averaging just under 1 sack a game (only 3 in 4 games). Maybe Falk will have a little time to throw this week?

Rushing against the Eagles defense is tough. They are only allowing 62 yards a game while we are averaging only 65 yards a game. Folks that know me know I am vocal about going big up front and riding the Bell train. But this wouldn’t be the best week to do it.

No this is the week where Gase needs to prove he can come up with a good passing scheme. We are coming off a bye and facing a rush first defense. That is plenty of time to prepare. Some people better be getting open.

On defense we have to pressure Wentz. Though our pass rush hasn’t been exceptional I have been pleasantly surprised by our defense. Quinnen Williams should be back and its time we see what he can do. He is young and not full sized yet, but it would still be great to see him make some impact plays. I say we blitz a little more than usual against the Eagles.

The Eagles just averaged 5.3 yard per carry against the Packers. But run defense has been one of our strong points. So this is kinda a wash where we see what team wants it more. I’d love to win the battle up front on D. Either way I have faith in Greg Williams. What our defense really needs is our offense to hold the ball longer than 3 or 4 plays.

We have two things going for us this week - an extra week to prepare and the notion that we are a trap game. I mean, who could watch the tape of our offense and not think that it’s going to be an easy game? I’m going to homer on those two things (and hopefully a few big defensive turnovers) and say the Jets win this one 24-20.

#1 ouchy, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If Sam is cleared he should 100% play. There is no grey area with his injury. The spleen either goes down or it doesn't. The doctors aren't going to clear him if he isn't ready. If he plays, we have a shot because that Philly pass D is suspect at best and it should open up everything else. If he doesn't play? Just going to do what I have done the previous 2 weeks - make sure I'm numb by kickoff. I'm going to Philly this weekend for the game with a bunch of buddies and we don't have tickets yet so we are gong to Xfinity Live bar across the street. If Sam plays I will probably try to scalp some tickets and get insinde the Linc.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The problem is that this week he still might have a little head trip about being hit which could give him happy feet. I love Sam but he is still a young kid, not some grizzled vet. We want him coming back 100% physically and mentally. This is not the time to regress mentally. But if he does start hey - lets go out there and score some points.

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

For fucks sake....

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  5. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I know I sound like a concerned parent but.....

I don’t want my Sammy playing in this game.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"Jets win this one 24-20".......ouch!!!. LOL

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

First off, why should be face the fact that he "won't be playing"? As far as I have read, Sam is feeling great and has been cleared for non-contact practice. He will be reevaluated on Friday/Saturday. Where did it say he will not be playing Sunday?

Second off, if he is cleared, why is it "likely a bad idea"? Where the fuck are people coming up with this shit? If he's cleared HE'S CLEARED.

Why is this so difficult to understand.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Don't laugh ...…. I have a strange feeling about this game......not sure why. The Eagles do have a banged up secondary and if Darnold returns he can have a breakout game. Not saying the Jets will win outright but this may be a lot closer than assumed.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Adam Gase and co. have a chance to make history this Sunday.

The Jets have NEVER in their entire history beat Philadelphia in a regular season game. This one would be special it really would.

And it would also be win #1 in 2019.

One win can turn around a season. Look what one win did for the Giants.

ouchy likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why is it difficult for you to understand that somebody didn't want him playing behind a shit OL that has now just lost its last decent player and getting injured and missing the next set of games would be an even bigger disaster.

I can't remember you being this belligerent in the past but since the Gase out threads began it seems it is every time I see one of your posts, when somebody says something you disagree with.

I doubt the poster was being 100% serious either tbh, more a showing concern style of statement.

11. Falco21

Again, so the goal is, every time the offensive line gets shady, we are supposed to bench our starting young QB until it gets better? That's how this works?

And I have been on this board for over 8 years and NEVER have I seen it this dumb.

Think about it, we literally have forum members posting their medical opinion on him playing or not if he is cleared by DOCTORS.

It doesn't get any more dumber than that

Ralebird, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  12. dawinner127

Because once he gets cleared for his spleen there is no other injury to be scared of unless you just don’t want him playing behind this OL which in that case just sit him for the entire year.

13. K'OB

Yeah but they are still entitled to have their say, like I said I doubt it was said in seriousness but more out of concern for him running for his damned life behind a paper mache OL, let's face it running for his life isn't going to help him develop into a top QB.

I have only seen it like this and no doubt contributed to it somewhat lol

14. Falco21

Hard to not feel for Gase LOL

Jesus. Talk about your entire roster going down with injuries.

15. Falco21

Yeah and I understand what you and others are saying, but that argument just doesn't hold water.

You can not expect to play a QB only behind a perfect offensive line. He has to play to develop into a top QB. Sitting him on the bench because the offensive line is not good, does not help his development. AT ALL

And it's times like this that make a player great. Adjustments at the line of scrimmage, audibles, screens, getting the ball out quick. All things that help his development.

This will not be the first time he is faced with a shitty offensive line in his career. That's for damn sure. Benching him because of it is not a smart move.

Ralebird and K'OB like this.
  16. K'OB

Maybe better quoting the guy who said it originally, I was just defending his right to say it tbh ;)

17. dawinner127

Whoops. On mobile :D:D

K'OB likes this.
  18. K'OB

Indeed, it is an utter shitshow and we are likely to fuck our one solid chance of a good QB, if it isn't the OL it will be the bloody dink and dunk offensive play calling...

I am only pulling your chain a little on the last sentence :D

Seriously though Gase has to let him do what he is actually good at, Sam seems at his best when he is rolling out of the pocket and making plays, whether this is a good thing is another thing altogether.

Falco21 likes this.
  19. K'OB

Be interesting to see what those guys can do, Compton played 14 times as guard last season for the Vikings and Lewis seemed to be a starter for the Ravens wither side of a injured season.

20. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Sam and Falk are the only QBs on the roster right? If they didn't think Darnold was going to play they would have signed Fales back or bring in another QB for the week.....Or so you would think.....