2017 Jets dark horse candidates..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BacktoQueens, Aug 6, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

As 2017 gets underway with training camp, it's always fun to keep an eye on players flying a little under the radar.

Who do you predict as this year's dark horse candidates to take a step up?

They can be a dark horse candidate to simply make the team, or to earn more and more snaps, or even take over a starting role. If you predict a guy to do all of the above, like say Robby Anderson of last year, then you've nailed it!
    Put it on record and put your predictions here.

I'll throw out my predictions now at the start of camp, and again after a couple preseason games.

#1) Mike Pennel DL
    I think Pennel not only makes the team, but becomes hard to keep off the field. He may even become the starter in 3-4 base at NT. Released by the Packers after multiple substance abuse suspensions last season, he absolutely has to stay clean (keep him away from Sheldon)!
    330 lbs, physical and athletic for his size, he's drawn Kris Jenkins comparisons in style of play, although I think the brakes need to be pumped on that comparison. I look forward to seeing him in preseason games.

#2) Josh Martin OLB
    I remember him getting my attention at OLB during preseason games last year, and I correctly predicted he'd make the team. He didn't play a ton on defense, but was an effective core 4 special teamer, and the Jets rewarded him with a 2M deal this season. I think he'll continue playing a lot of specials, and push Jenkins for the starting role at OLB. High character guy who the coaches like, a Columbia grad, and only 25 years old....he'll be given a shot.

#3) Lucky Whitehead KR/WR
    We need a returner big time, and this guy can really fly. Could be what separates him from the other smaller receivers on this roster, giving him a good chance to earn offensive snaps as well.

Rookie Watch:
    I like Firsker's odds on making the team at FB/H-back, and Donahue earning snaps at specials and sub package defense. Will need to see them in preseason.

Hopeful prediction:
    I hope Shell continues on last season and proves a quality T option in 2017.
    I thought he was terrible last preseason, but he improved dramatically as the year went on. That would be huge for a team looking for answers along the OL. Would also be a huge help to whoever is at QB. I'll be keeping an eye out.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good idea for a thread (as opposed to some other threads we've seen around here lately). It's early, and things can change quickly with injuries or play in the rest of TC and preseason, but at this point I have a number of dark horse candidates that I think are capable of winning or and will win spots on the final roster.

I like all three of your selections as well as Firsker and Donahue. In fact, Donahue is my first selection to make the team.

Making the team (in no certain order)

#1) Dylan Donahue, OLB
    He was only a 5th round pick and most (all?) of us had never even heard of this kid, but the Jets' CS supposedly loves him. I read in one article that Greene knew about him and urged the Jets to draft him. He's been flying around practices in OTAs, minicamp and now training camp. I think he not only makes the team, but becomes a designated pass rusher, and once he learns how to cover, I would not be surprised to see him be a full-time starter. Since he was a draft pick some people might say that would make him a lock to make the team, but with the Jets' need at OLB and with their having Corey Lemonier, Freddie Bishop and Frank Beltre, all with experience, I think it was much less of a sure thing, and Donahue could have gotten caught up in a numbers game, but he has earned his spot so far

#2 Chris Harper, WR
    I had never heard of him before, but he's been having a great training camp, impressing the coaches and making plays. He's one of the WRs with some NFL experience that actually seems to be making some plays in TC (Myles White is, but Marquess Wilson and Charone Peake don't seem to be, and Robbie Anderson doesn't seem to be doing much). With Anderson struggling, Enunwa dropping a number of passes and now with a recurring neck injury, Harper could wind up being the #1 WR, or at least getting a lot of opportunities. I think he will have a breakout year and be very productive.

#3 Ross Martin, K
    He had a good TC last year, but collapsed at the end. The Jets liked him enough to sign him to a contract over the winter, however, and he's looking better than Catanzaro in TC. He worked hard to strengthen his leg over the off season, and if he can continue to be more consistent and accurate, I think he has an excellent chance of beating Catanzaro out for the kicking job.

#4 Lucky Whitehead, WR
    Until the Cowboys foolishly released Whitehead and the Jets signed him, I thought that Frankie Hammond, Marcus Murphy, or Romar Morris would probably make the team as a return man. Now, I expect Whitehead to be the guy. He's had some problems with fumbles, but is fast, experienced, and a good returner. Hammond and Murphy still might make the PS, but with the numbers being as tight as they are, and the Jets having so many good young players with potential, I think they'll be hard pressed to make the team.

#5 Connor Harris, ILB
    He is the top collegiate tackler of all time (or something like that), a NJ local, and the Jets supposedly like him a lot. According to reports, he's been practicing with the 2nd string, getting some reps with the starters, and looking pretty good. I think he may have a good future with the Jets.

#6 Lawrence Thomas, DL
    Thomas actually made the final roster last year, and was playing so well he was part of the rotation, but was injured early and spent the season on IR. Unless he is outplayed by one of the veterans FAs the Jets added or Claude Pelon, or gets injured, I expect Thomas will make the roster again.

#7 Shamarko Thomas, S
    I had never heard of this kid before TC started, but have seen positive comments about him in several of the TC reports. He's making some big plays, and has some talent. Adams and Maye are locks as is Rontez Miles, and previously, I thought that Doug Middleton or Ronald Martin would be the 4th S, but I think Thomas has a real shot to unseat both of those two and win the 4th S spot on the team.

#8 Mike Pennel, NT
    This kid has talent, and is supposedly fast and athletic for his size. He supposedly has cleaned up his act regarding substance abuse, so he definitely stands a real shot to make the team. It could come down to a numbers thing if he doesn't make it. I doubt he'd clear waivers and make it to the PS, but even if he did, he'd likely get signed off of it.

#9 Spencer Paysinger, ILB
    He's a dark horse candidate because I think he won't make it because of his age and because of numbers, but he probably deserves to make the team. He's a pretty good player, good STs player, and has experience. The Jets would have to cut Demario Davis or Bruce Carter (another STer) or try to sneak Connor Harris on the PS and hope that no one signs him. I think he probably deserves a spot on the team, but will be surprised if he makes it. I can't see the Jets keeping 5 ILBs, and can't see their cutting any of the others, unless it's Carter.

#10 Anthony Firkser, FB
    The Jets plan on keeping a FB. Julian Howsare is the incumbent, but is underwhelming. The newly-signed Algernon Brown is a rookie UDFA just signed and playing catch up. Firkser can block and catch the ball, and has experience playing TE as well. I think he's the favorite to make the team if for no other reason than his flexibility to play a couple of positions. He'd probably have to play himself off the team at this point.

Honorable Mention: Jason Vander Laan, TE
    He was a college QB, and as a UDFA last season (if memory serves me correctly) he impressed the Jets enough at TE to keep him on the PS. I've read in several articles that the Jets like him a lot. With ASJ being suspended the first two games, Vander Laan may have had a chance to make the roster at least for the first two weeks, but with the addition of Chris Gragg, those chances may be greatly diminished. Leggett will make the team and probably Eric Tomlinson, as he is a good blocker and has experience. If Anthony Firkser makes the team as a FB, then that makes it even less likely that Vander Laan makes the team since Firkser has some experience and ability as a TE. I haven't heard anything about Laan's abilities as a blocker, but he must be a pretty good receiver. I don't think the Jets will keep more than 3 TEs (ASJ, Leggett and either Tomlinson or Gragg, plus Firkser), but I suspect that he will be kept on the PS and has potential for the future.

Players improving their level of play, getting more playing time, and possibly starting

#11 Josh Martin, OLB

The CS evidently likes him a lot. He has been playing with the starting unit a lot in OTAs and now TC ahead of Jenkins and Mauldin at times. I definitely see him making the team again, seeing more action at OLB, and even having a solid shot at starting.

#12 Juston Burris, CB
    Burris improved quickly last year, and Kacy Rodgers said during the offseason that he should have played Burris a lot more last season than he did. According to reports, he looks even better this year, and has a shot to beat out Buster Skrine for the #2 CB spot. I hope that he does. IMO he's already better than Skrine. Skrine isn't that good. If the Jets cut him following TC, they'd incur a $2 million dead money hit on the cap, but would save $6 million. I'm not sure he's worth the $2 million, let alone the $6 million. If Roberts, Williams or any of the other CBs can play slot CB or if the Jets can pick up a camp cut that can play the slot well, I'd halfway like to see the Jets cut Skrine.

#2 NCJetsfan, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sounds like a real live competition going on at OLB. Could be the key to how good the D will be. Burris progressing will be important also. Sounds like Maye may be good and ready[pun intended, sorry]

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It looks like another season of defense carrying the team.

That's ok by me...as long as they kick some ass and fuck taking names.

Rape & pillage is the mantra.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Chris Harper by far, very impressive.

Don't pick anyone from special teams. They are even worse than the offense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Defense gonna be on tbe field a lot and by the fourth qtr will wear down after playing there asses off and getting no help from our pathetic offense. The punter will be very tired on Sunday night

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We should sign an ambidextrous punter.

Spread the workload.

NCJetsfan, themorey and BacktoQueens like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Any Jet succeeding would be a dark horse surprise, right?

I'll go with TE Jordan Leggett.
    The Jets need a TE to step up. I liked him a lot at Clemson. Not sure how he translates to the NFL, but he will get a chance in this offense, plus Austin Seferian-Jenkins is suspended the 1st two games.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

It would be really nice to see Robby Anderson step up and become a true reliable wide out. We desperately need to luck out on an undrafted FA or late pick with so many terrible drafts at skill positions in the last few years.

It'd be nice to see him turn into someone like Victor Cruz was for the Giants many moons ago. He's got the speed, if not the size (tall, but skinny). Shit, when was the last time we had someone truly special on offense?

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Curtis Martin says hi...

11. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

my point exactly since that was 500 years ago. Depressing.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you look at the coaching hires, its easy to understand why our offense goes from dreadful to mediocre just like the team overall.

What was that old saying about doing the same thing expecting a different result repeatedly...?

Ptflea2 likes this.
  13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Everything I have read on Elijah Mcguire has been pretty positive, not sure you would call him a dark horse. It would be nice if we can have another Leon Washington

almbleamal and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

McGuire is also my pick. With the lack of talent at WR the RBs will be heavily featured this season. Both on the ground and in the passing game. Forte isn't getting any younger and Powell can't carry the load. I expect McGuire to eventually get significant playing time and to make the most of that time.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight, Its always Darkest before the Dawn, We all have a Darkside, and yes A Dark Horse are my favorite expressions with Dark in it...otherwise got nothing for ya

All these guys trying to make an NFL team well good luck and God Bless :)

16. BacktoQueens

Any new opinions after preseason week 1?

I'm sticking with my 3 for now.
    Josh Martin played great on defense and specials. On his way to earning lots of playing time.

Pennel was clearly behind McClendon and Simon on the depth chart.
    Didn't play many snaps. Only noticed him once successfully stuffing the run.
    He'll need to stand out more in these games to earn his place in rotation.

Whitehead was the starting returner, but didn't have much space to show anything this game.

17. NCJetsfan

I think the OLB cuts are going to be the hardest. Jenkins, Donahue, Beltre, Bishop and Martin have all stood out in offseason practices. Mauldin is the one who hasn't done much. I had thought Spencer Paysinger was an ILB, but I see that he was playing OLB last night. He has some talent and can make some plays too. I think Jenkins, Martin and Donahue are locks. I think it will be between Beltre and Bishop for the 4th OLB spot. Paysinger won't be eligible for the PS, so if he can't outperform the others, he's probably history, but I hope that we can keep the loser between Beltre and Bishop on the PS as well as Mauldin.

Pennel played more snaps than either Simon or McLendon last night. He had 12 snaps, and I think 6 on STs. Simon had 11 snaps, and McLendon only 6, but that was because the 1st stringers didn't play very long.

Pennel has talent, but I know they like Simon, and with McLendon being a leader and a good player, I don't think he's going anywhere. It will be interesting to see if they keep Pennel. I wish him luck and hope he can stay clean and have a good career unless he winds up with another AFC East rival.

I see that Hammond had longer returns than Whitehead. Did he have better blocking, was he lucky, or what?

18. BacktoQueens

I agree on Jenkins, Martin and Donahue being locks at OLB.
    Mauldin most likely a lock also, but you never know. I'm curious to see more of Bishop. If he flashes even as a situational pass rusher, I'd want to keep him.

Pennel came in game after both McLendon and Simon, so it looks like he has ground to gain.
    I would be in favor of keeping all 3 if both Simon and Pennel earn their spots. Have to figure McLendon gone next season.
    Our ILB's suck, so we'll need the big boys getting it done.

As far as the returns, there wasn't a lot of room for Whitehead to work with on his chances.
    I need to see more. Hammond looked ok. I expect other fringe WR's will get a shot.
    I should note, it doesn't look like Whitehead took any offensive snaps.
    WR battle will be interesting. Harper, Whitehead, Hammond, Marks, Jalin Marshall, Wilson, White......battling for probably 2-3 slots, and a Returner will get one of them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Excellent point about keeping both Simon and Pennel because McLendon will likely be gone next year. I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right! That will make one less spot for a OLB, CB, S, WR or TE.

I don't think our ILBs suck. I think you're going to see a vastly improved Lee this year, and from the reports I've been hearing, Demario Davis has been playing better than before. There's no doubt Davis can be upgraded, but the Jets are supposedly high on Connor Harris, and he may supplant Davis at some point during the season. Carter has some speed, rushing ability, and plays STs. Stanford has supposedly been looking really good in practice, and in the 1st preseason game, and is perhaps our best STs player, so I don't agree that they're as bad as you think they are.

One other comment about OLBs. I had totally forgotten about Corey Lemonier he has been so quiet. He has the most experience and had 11 sacks in 4 seasons. I really thought he would have been challenging for one of the starting spots and probably would have made the team, but I haven't seen one positive comment about him.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm going to go with ArDarius Stewart. With Enunwa out, Jets need a receiver that can generate yards after the catch. I like this kid's skill-set, I think we will see him more next preseason game.

tbruner12 likes this.