2016 is the Year of QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TouchyFeely, Jan 21, 2015.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Next year's draft is looking to be much better at QB.

Cook
    Prescott
    Hackenberg
    Goff
    Kiel

I could see these guys ending up in the first or second round. Anyone else to be on the lookout for?

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I mentioned this in a thread on the main board but I'll echo those sentiments here.

Why is everyone so convinced next years class is going to be sooooooo much better than this years? It makes no sense to me.

Hackenberg and Cook look like good prospects sure, but are either of them can't miss Andrew Lucks types? Of course not, at least as of this moment. There's always a chance that both of them have fantastic years next season and become those can't miss prospects, but there's just as good of a chance that they regress and fall out of the top 10.

Wouldn't touch Prescott until the 3rd-4th round, and even then I wouldn't draft him as I don't see him becoming successful (personal opinion). Goff and Kiel are both alright prospects, similar to Garrett Grayson and Bryce Petty. Honestly, next years QB crop resembles this one pretty well. Looks like there will be 2 top notch prospects followed by a few decent ones and then the rest.

If it were me, I take Mariota at 6 if he's there and I don't look back.

Finally, to answer your question, Cardale Jones could be a name to watch out for next year. Trevone Boykin(TCU), Cody Kessler(USC), Kevin Hogan(Stanford) are also some guys to keep an eye on.

mikey, NCJetsfan, westiedog1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

everyone thinks next years draft class will be better, it literally happens every year

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Cardale Jones?

How quickly we forget.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Cardale Jones and Cody Kessler should be added. As of now I see Cook, Hackenberg and Jones being first round picks.

wewantsapp and CleveSteve like this.
  6. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Trevone Boykin will be in next year's draft as well. If Jacoby Brissett can string together a few games like he had against FSU, he will be in the mix as well.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

A player that potentially could have a huge 2015 season....Nate Sudfeld, Indiana. Good Size, nice completion %, I think he's going to have a good year.

wewantsapp likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We said this about the 2014 draft and look what happened...

You got Hackenberg and Cook prob the best 2 guys for 2016 - but if Prescott can work on his passing fundamentals, make better decisions - his stock will sky-rocket.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Not true--I thought the 2012 class sucked well in advance of that draft.

And I LOVED last years class-I still do.

This years class is massively top heavy with 2 true franchise prospects, on wild card in Petty and loads of crap.

Next years class will have a few busts--Hackenberg and Prescott, one decent prospect in Cook (let's see him complete more than 58% of his passes this year) and one massive wild card in Cardale Jones if he comes out.

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Yes = Cody Kessler. Getting knocked for size (only 6-1) and lack of great arm strength. But the guy has a ton of positives. I'm particular to this QB.

CleveSteve likes this.
  11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Is he related to Zach?

12. Ozymandias

The 2012 class had Luck, Wilson, Tannehill and RG3. Wouldn't say that class "sucked".

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

My bad--meant 2013.

Manuel, Geno, Glennon, Barkley, Nassib, Wilson, Jones, Sorenson, Dysert, Daniels, Renfree.

Awful class.

_

14. Ozymandias

This is said almost every year, it's not guaranteed all of these guys will come out.

Hackenberg and Jones could easily stay their senior years, education is important to both.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

His Younger Brother!!

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every year is the year of the QB. You just have to be able to support the good ones out there once they hit the NFL.

The three worst years for QB's in terms of prospects of the last 15 years were 2000, 2005 and 2013. Tom Brady and Drew Brees got picked in the 6th and 2nd rounds in 2000 and became superstars. Aaron Rodgers got picked in the mid 20's in 2005 and became a better QB than either Brady or Brees. 2013 looks pretty dim right now but who knows what it will look like in a few years?

2015, 2016, 2017, it doesn't matter which year you look at, the odds are that there's a guy who if he lands in the right situation could become the next Rodgers, Brady or Brees.

The Jets have had trouble at QB recently because the organization has done a terrible job of finding, supporting and protecting the guys they drafted. The one clearly good pick took two+ years to get on the field and then had his offensive line start gap-toothing on him immediately after his first season on the field. The WR drafted the same year that he was and who had great chemistry with him and who was a 23 year old superstar in the making was disrespected and allowed to leave, breaking his support in a big way.

74 and The 1985er like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

My thought process is this, if you guys just want to wait and draft a QB next year, why don't we just trade up (or just take him at 6, unlikely but possible) and get Mariota and sit him for a year?? It is fundamentally the same concept except you get a player with much higher upside than anyone in next years class and he gets to learn the system for a year with no pressure.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The FO might not be sold on a specific QB - you don't select a QB if you don't like the QB as a prospect. I am not trading up for any QB in this draft or next year.

It's not the same concept as the QBs from this draft and the next are completely different playing styles. you don't take a QB just to take one.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If the FO isn't enamored with Mariota then don't take him, they are the professionals after all and they do this type of thing for a living.

I did say this was only my thought process after all, but I'm on the MM bandwagon. Perhaps the FO and CS will not be.

The QB's from next years class could also suffer injuries, regress, etc. There are many things that could go wrong for them over the course of this next year, so if they grade a QB this year to be worth our 6th or even worth the trade up, who are we to argue?

20. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Bradway, 2007's best QB is one of this group:
    Kevin Kolb
    Drew Stanton
    Tyler Thigpen
    Matt Moore (who went undrafted)