2014 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYJalltheway, Jun 19, 2014.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

The Spurs have won the championship, and the league has a championship team everyone can respect now. The draft is in 1 week, and the rumors are flying. So let's start it off.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...s-add-klay-thompson-possible-kevin-love-trade

(I'm not good with posting articles sorry.)

The Golden State Warriors have greatly increased their chances of acquiring All-Star forward Kevin Love by making sharpshooting swingman Klay Thompson available to the Minnesota Timberwolves in trade talks, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that Golden State, after initially resisting Minnesota's desire to land Thompson in a Love deal, has relented and is now willing to package Steph Curry's trusted backcourt mate along with David Leeand a first-round pick in a trade for Love that could materialize quickly with the 2014 NBA draft looming Thursday.

[​IMG]
    Kevin Love, who averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 rebounds last season, has made it known that he will not re-sign with the Timberwolves after next season.
    Thompson's father Mychal, himself a former No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft and now a radio analyst on Los Angeles Lakers broadcasts, said Thursday on ESPN LA 710 AM that the Warriors and Wolves are discussing a deal in which Golden State would also receive Kevin Martin from Minnesota in addition to Love.

The teams are still in the process of exchanging various trade proposals that would put other players into the deal, sources said. ESPN's Chris Broussard reports that one scenario being discussed is the Wolves acquiring Thompson and Lee for Love, Martin, J.J. Barea and Minnesota's 13th pick.

It remains to be seen whether the Chicago Bulls will continue to chase Love as hard as Golden State has -- which would likely cost them the prized likes of Jimmy Butlerand Taj Gibson -- or focus their efforts on trying to sign or trade for Carmelo Anthony, who has until Monday to decide whether to opt in or out of the final season on his current New York Knicks contract valued at $23.3 million.

As ESPN.com reported last month, Golden State and Chicago are two destinations at the top of Love's list in potential trades, which is an avenue Minnesota has been forced to explore after Love's representatives made it clear to Wolves management that Love would exercise his right to become a free agent in July 2015 and refuse any attempts by the Wolves to re-sign him.

The Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets are also among the teams making a determined trade push to acquire Love, sources said, but Golden State's ability to furnish Minnesota with multiple quality players who are ready to produce right away is believed to hold great appeal to Timberwolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders, who earlier this month added coaching duties to his plate.

The most attractive element of the offers from Boston and Phoenix, sources say, is the prospect of acquiring multiple first-round picks in next week's draft. The Nuggets can offer the likes of forwards Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler along with the No. 11 pick next week, but Golden State is uniquely positioned to send a former All-Star forward to Minnesota in Lee as well as one of the game's most feared perimeter marskmen in Thompson.

The Wolves are resigned to dealing Love between now and February's trade deadline, but many rival executives believe the Wolves are grudgingly now prepared to move Kevin Garnett's successor as the face of the franchise sooner rather than later to try to get as much for Love as they possibly can.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Love is the player to watch before the draft. I believe anyone in the top 6 or 7 could trade for Love by handing over their draft pick. Lakers? Celtics? perhaps. He would still have to resign though.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd kill to get Love on the Spurs roster. Won't happen if Timmy doesn't retire, but one can always dream. The safe bet if a trade doesn't happen is one of the Cali teams, but you never know. He's not a vocal guy, and other than his Beach Boy ties and USC, he's a total wildcard.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well Loves and Duncans contracts both expire after next year. Hes going to get traded tho.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Embiid is going to drop and it wouldnt shock me if he falls into the Lakers.

6. abyzmul

Splitter + Green + 1st round pick.

Won't happen, but it would be more than enough, and we'd be able to sign Patty and Boris back easily.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Lets just bring back the team and go for #6.

8. abyzmul

That's a possibility, but Pop has always evolved the team. They really need to dump Bonner and make Daye a more focal player, and I'm sorry but Splitter needs to go, no matter the handful of plays he has made in the playoffs.

And they need to bridge the gap between Duncan and No Duncan. Sooner rather than later.

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Splitters been overall a disappointment. There was such a silent hype amongst Spurs fans prior to him coming over seas. I remember everyone just waiting for him to come over, people were calling it the "Twin Towers 2.0". I kept hearing "just wait till Splitter arrives" and finally he did, and yeah the Spurs started winning again when he did come over (2010-2011), but it wasnt because of him.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I wonder when the Twolves plan to trade em, no chance they dont. Hes leaving and they can receive a lot.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The 76ers have the most to gain in the draft, if they can get the right guy that could be back on their way to winning again.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rockets trying to target Lionel Hollins as an assistant coach.

14. displacedfan

I know I said turnover in the NBA is drastically high, too high, at the HC position, but the Rockets really need to help McHale out whether it be giving him a stronger voice and helping him install an offense and/or defense.

Dwight can still be a threat defensively, other teams have found ways to keep their shot blocking centers effective in this small ball NBA style. Also, their offense while ridiculous, seemed to stall out a lot. Harden depends on free throws so much, that the same isolation plays that drew fouls earlier might not work after a whole game flopping and head snaps. The offense should be Dwight and someone in a PnR with shooters everywhere. Pretty much the basis of the offense should start there as Harden and Parsons are both great passers, Dwight can roll and elevate still, and Houston loves their shooters from the corner. I feel like I didn't see enough of that from them.

Defense also has to get better, but that's just getting Harden more involved. Dwight can't save the defense if one guy gets beat almost every single time down the court.

Saying that, I don't think Hollins would be a good HC in HOU. Rumor has it he clashed with the "analytic" types in the FO of Memphis and well Houston seems like that to the extreme.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Rileys press conference from today:

I think he does not have control of the situation, he is going to have to put in some major work and it begins with Wade.

16. displacedfan

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That entire press conference was for LeBron James. Espn just had an analyst on who claimed the same thing. Don't know if it is the smartest thing for him to do or not, but every last one of those comments was geared for LeBron. Use the media as a weapon to being him back. Let's see if that makes the situation better or worse.

As it stands right now, as far as I've read, LeBron and Riley are not on the best of terms. This could go south real quick. No pun intended

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Based on what Riley did to the Knicks, the best thing Lebron could do to get back at him is to head on over to the Knicks!

The burning question for the Knicks is, who will they trade their future away for this year?

#18 Barcs, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  19. displacedfan

What future can they trade?

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Why is no one in the media talking about Cleveland? They can have a "Super team" for at least next season.